Security News Real-Time Phishing Emerges in Brazil

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
A real-time phishing campaign is targeting Brazil. This tactic is designed to emulate a banking Trojan by extracting critical data from its victims in real time via a live, interactive phishing attack.

1.-An-Interactive-Phishing-Conversation.png

According to IBM X-Force, the phishing scheme takes place over a web session between the attacker and the victim. It is able to mimic a target website’s look and feel, more so than just an idle phishing page. From afar and behind the scenes, cyber-criminals impersonate the victim’s bank and ask for all kinds of account details. Data stolen through interactive phishing can be commercialized on underground boards.

“Most likely, the criminal will access the compromised account from the bank’s website to make a transaction in real time, all the while milking more authentication details from the unsuspecting victim,” they said, in a blog post. “The emergence of this new method will likely contribute to rises in fraud in Brazil over the coming months.”

Typical tactics include sending emails impersonating a bank, redirecting users to fake sites, deploying pharming attacks, inducing malicious proxy changes, or launching fake windows or images on the victim’s desktop to rob access credentials, account information, card data and personally identifiable information (PII). But all of these have one downside: Most banks require users to provide personal details in real time to authenticate customers during digital transactions.

“This usually foils fraud attacks,” the researchers noted. “These details are called out-of-band authentication because they happen away from the user’s browser, via a smartphone, card reader or numeric code chart.”

Interactive phishing takes place via a real-time web session that dupes users with a seamless flow of changing screens and messages controlled by the attacker from a remote server. And it can give cyber-criminals real-time access to a time-based code issued by the bank for a given transaction.

Read more: http://www.infosecurity-magazine.com/news/realtime-phishing-emerges-in-brazil/

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Banking online is the precursor here.
A user has a higher chance of falling for this if they are used to receiving mobile or PC
communication from their bank right ?
A step I take that eliminates this is, my bank has on file my wishes to be notified by mail
or phone call any issues I need to address, and even then it is only a notice to come see them.
Doing it this way eliminates many types of fraud. Can't afford to slack off where your life savings
are concerned, at least I can't ;)
Awesome Share Jack

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.