Real-World Protection Test April 2015

aztony

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
This fact sheet is a short overview of the Whole-Product Dynamic Real-World Protection Test resultsof April 2015. The detailed overall result reports (covering four months each) are released in July andDecember. Each of the overall result reports will also contain a false-alarm test and will contain the awards the products reached based on their overallscores during the respective four-month period.For more information about this Real-World Protection Test, please read the details and previous test reports available on http://www.av-comparatives.org.
http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/avc_factsheet2015_04.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: Venustus

Sven

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
Panda %100 ??? and 2 false positives?
google-panda-profit.jpg

LightningBouquet

May 12, 2015
Panda %100 ??? and 2 false positives?

"We would like to point out that while some products may sometimes be able to reach 100% protection rates in a test, it does not mean that these products will always protect against all threats on the web. It just means that they were able to block 100% of the widespread malicious samples used in a test. "

Sven

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 5, 2013
"We would like to point out that while some products may sometimes be able to reach 100% protection rates in a test, it does not mean that these products will always protect against all threats on the web. It just means that they were able to block 100% of the widespread malicious samples used in a test. "

That was what gave me an instant-headache. :)

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
Nothing too surprising this month except Trend Micros amount of FPs which is quite unusual.

H

hjlbx

It's always the same group at the top:

• Avira
  • BitDefender
  • Emsisoft
  • ESET
  • F-Secure
  • Kaspersky
  • Trend Micro

Signature-wise, these vendors are consistent. When you get into the other security features there is where you start to see a difference. Case in point is Avira... a truly great freeware scanner, but not much else.

I don't even bother going out of my way to read the AV-C results anymore.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Emsisoft, great as always. :)
Especially when you factor in the user dependent portion!
I've gotten to the point in where I can't trust these tests.
I agree, and in fact I prefer the so called "amateur youtube testers",as a better indication of a products performance!!
Can't trust some vendors.....,can't fully trust the labs!!Oh the irony!!:p

Reactions: aztony and Oxygen

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
You've got to watch those Youtube tests though, as you can't see what happens when the camera isn't on. Plus testing a folder full of malware doesn't say a lot..which is also why these pro tests need to seen as a guideline rather than the last word. People put too much faith in "professionals". I can tell you why Kaspersky is always near the top, because they are aggressive as all get out. I've had a lot more FPs from them than those test results would have people believe. Avast is making its way back to a solid AV, but they spent and still do spend too much time on extras.

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
AVIRA and PANDA scored an amazing100% , higher than Eset, Kaspersky and Avast.........come on.....seriously??????
The only think i really care is for the poor users who they believe these kind of tests...........

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
You've got to watch those Youtube tests though, as you can't see what happens when the camera isn't on. Plus testing a folder full of malware doesn't say a lot..which is also why these pro tests need to seen as a guideline rather than the last word. People put too much faith in "professionals". I can tell you why Kaspersky is always near the top, because they are aggressive as all get out. I've had a lot more FPs from them than those test results would have people believe. Avast is making its way back to a solid AV, but they spent and still do spend too much time on extras.
Avast unfortunately has become a bloated behemoth!!

Reactions: yigido

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
I've used Kaspersky for 8 years now and I've yet to see any FP, also they are called professionals because they do this for a living unlike Youtube tests which often put harmless files in their so called malware packs and use non standard settings (almost no user changes AV settings or uses custom installs).

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
Well, your usage and my usage very likely differs. FPs vary by user and circumstance more than they even vary by AV program. I'm also not saying don't trust professionals, I'm saying don't place blind faith in them. Don't for a minute think these testing organizations don't have pressure put on them from vendors, and tech site/magazine reviews always have to be given a second opinion because they definitely have a lot riding on what they print. I'm not calling them all liars or useless, but business is business and the average user needs to figure that into their decisions.

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
[...]the average user needs to figure that into their decisions.
I would love to see some examples for K's FPs... on my test machine I'm testing about 20-50 different software products per week and I love to surf on sketchy sites - zero FPs.
Also the average user doesn't give a damn about detection or performance of AV software, they often pick what looks "good" to them, not based on any of these amateur or professional tests, often they don't even have any protection installed at all.
Oh and about the money: AV vendors have to pay AV-Comparatives for their test (everyone pays the same...) and they are all getting tested equally. If a test is sponsored they mark is as such - so no pressure on them about money or anything. ;)

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
I would love to see some examples for K's FPs... on my test machine I'm testing about 20-50 different software products per week and I love to surf on sketchy sites - zero FPs.
;)
Indeed! Kis/Kav have always been great in terms of FP's:)

comfortablynumb15

Level 7
Verified
May 11, 2015
I know how they are tested :) Let's just leave it as my having a healthy skepticism when it comes to the business world. For Kaspersky, to be 100% honest with you I haven't used the product in some time now, so recent examples would be difficult to give you. I'm not saying take my word as fact, never would do that. I can say that quite a few of them involved various game patches in the past. I don't think Kaspersky has ever liked those though. When I choose any security program, I look at known forums like this, gauge actual user opinions over some time and then test it on my machine. If AVC testing and my experience is about the same, sweet!

Reactions: Nightwalker

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.