Real-World Protection Test - November 2017

jetman

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
Kaspersky no longer amongst the very best ?

With all these spying claims, I'm thinking about switching back to Norton/Symantec. I have never seen them do badly in tests from any labs.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
We know that the samples that are tested every month are not the same. As it is not always the same, there are variations, but with everything And that, for all Avs you have to prop them up with something that can be voodooshield or with another anti-executable. There is no AV 100%:p

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
It's better to look at the July-Nov comparison chart rather than this. See who is consistently scoring well. Also note that these tests don't count in using security products in combination with others. It would be best to analyze the shortcomings of whatever product you are using and use another product to complement it.

I for one am a tinfoil hat user. I think AVs are software that can be just as vulnerable as other software. All you need is an admin or system token and you can shut the whole thing down so layered security is key.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
So they are all pretty much 98.9%-100% except eScan and Adaware.

So in the end, this means use whatever you feel comfortable with. Whatever fits your budget. Whatever has the features/interface/extras you like. Because it really is a matter of 1% overall differences provided it's not eScan or Adaware.

Also note, Forticlient scores 98.9% here, but they didn't test 5.6.2, which has the new engine, exploit protection and some other under-the-hood changes. That wasn't out early enough to be included in this test. I'm making an assumption FortiClient would have popped 100% since this was a real-world test. (or close)

Indeed. To pick my software i take into account just a couple of simple items:

• Efficient, quick support
  • Fast malware database update
  • Built in tools to lock the system (like HIPS, System Watcher, etc)

Then "malware detection" and similar: useless data. Irrelevant unless you're a stupid careless user.

Reactions: Andy Ful and Syafiq

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.