Really possible to replace Windows Explorer with a third party program?

Status
Not open for further replies.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I've come across mentions of this but haven't really looked into it. How far can such replacement go?

Please tell me about specific programs.

Computer
Dell Computer Dimension 2400 (desktop) 2003
Operating System
Windows XP Home Edition (original and pre-installed) 32-bit SP3
reinstalled 02-20-2014
CPU
Intel Pentium 4
Northwood 0.13um Technology
RAM
2.00GB DDR @ 166MHz (2.5-3-3-7)
Motherboard
Dell Computer Corp. 0G1548 (Microprocessor)
Graphics
Default Monitor (1280x1024@60Hz)
Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller (Dell)
Storage
80 GB Seagate ST380011A (ATA) 28 °C
3.94 GBGB Lexar USB Flash Drive USB Device (USB)
500.11 GB HGST USB Device (external hard drive)
Optical Drives
SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S
Audio
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
Anti-Virus
Roboscan

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
First Windows Explorer is not just a file manager/browser/viewer/whatever, it's also Windows' default "Shell". You can replace or use a 3rd party file manager as replacement of Explorer as file manager in practice but not as a Shell.

I suggest you use QDir

http://www.softpedia.com/get/File-managers/Q-Dir.shtml

BTW I'm still using Explorer because of its undo feature

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
Though most explorer replacements can do most of the basic work of the Win Explorer, there are a few things that these replacements can do. I just cannot particularly remember but I have experienced this kind of problem after replacing the win explorer with a third party program. In my opinion its better to keep the Win Exp as the default while using others programs for doing most of your work. I keep a shortcut on the quicklaunch bar for third-party programs to get a quick access. My choices are XYPlorer and Explorer++.

S

Sr. Normal

Hello everyone .
Do you know of any that can be set as default in Windows 7?
I've been trying several times because the Windows Explorer crashes , I'd like one independent .
Thank you and Have a nice day

Adhit Prakosho

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
Last edited:
Reactions: conceptualclarity

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
@Sr. Normal Check your event log to know exactly what causes Explorer to crash.

I had the same issues before with XP and according to the log, the culprit is ZIpTip. So what I did is temporarily uninstall ZipTip whenever I'm dealing with large zip files with lots of items inside it.

S

Sr. Normal

@WinXPert: I followed the instructions of @Adhit Prakosho and the CBS.log file told me not missing anything important (I uninstalled languages and little else).The [ SR ] were perfect. I take months in this situation and not know what program has caused it. I've got a couple of tests , including configuring it as separate windows, but if I continue to blocking , i need another option ... less frustrating ?.
I have also noticed that happens when I have several things open , but with an i5 RAM 6GBs
Thanks for your answer

S

Sr. Normal

Hi @Adhit Prakosho , thanks for answering .
I thought they were 6, but no, are 8 Gbs of RAM, DDR3 and Dual.
This morning I have been experimenting with many windows open , both internet and system folders, small open applications and the same turn and only has been blocked one time.
In Xubuntu , Manjaro and Opensuse i can have open all i want that does not give me any problems , it is clear that system architectures are different , but so is it's nothing physical.
Thank you very much for your interest in helping me.
Kind regards

Adhit Prakosho

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
Hi @Adhit Prakosho , thanks for answering .
I thought they were 6, but no, are 8 Gbs of RAM, DDR3 and Dual.
This morning I have been experimenting with many windows open , both internet and system folders, small open applications and the same turn and only has been blocked one time.
In Xubuntu , Manjaro and Opensuse i can have open all i want that does not give me any problems , it is clear that system architectures are different , but so is it's nothing physical.
Thank you very much for your interest in helping me.
Kind regards

Your system should be able to run very fast (i5 & 8GB RAM) :) and dual channel, requires 2 Memory Module (2 Keping memory) the same and identical. :) nice day

S

Sr. Normal

Hi @Adhit Prakosho , thanks for answering.

I think what has given more stability to my system is configured in Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Folder Options , View tab , click Open Folder Windows in a Separate Process .

Thanks again for being there helping

Adhit Prakosho

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
Hi @Adhit Prakosho , thanks for answering.

I think what has given more stability to my system is configured in Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Folder Options , View tab , click Open Folder Windows in a Separate Process .

Thanks again for being there helping

Launch folder windows in a separate process :

Increase the stability of Windows by opening every folder in a separate part of memory. Use this setting if your computer frequently crashes, and you are trying to minimize problems or troubleshoot. Be aware, however, that doing this could slow down the performance of your computer.

"very unfortunate to do that, with the spec of your computer."

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/change-folder-views-and-behavior

maybe you should check out the software you installed, maybe a crash each other. Use System File Checker to scan your PC for the missing or corrupt files. :)

S

Sr. Normal

Hello everyone

Responding to the thread of this post , I have seen the following giveaway http://www.windowsdeal.com/w/exeone-system-navigator-2014-100-discount/
at the time of writing this, the promotion ends in two days, 4 hours.
I really liked it . Works with tabs, is very clean.

At the time of installation asks if you want to replace Windows Explorer, also asks if you want to replace the notebook.
I leave several links with information and program reviews.
Greetings to all

http://www.exeone.com/system-navigator

http://file-compression-software-review.toptenreviews.com/system-navigator-review.html

http://www.softpedia.com/get/File-managers/System-Navigator.shtml

http://system-navigator.en.softonic.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.