Reason Core Security - HitmanPro

netology

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 2, 2017
Greetings all...

Moderators, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, please move to correct if so. Thanks!

Currently, we are running Webroot and Malwarebytes both paid pro versions.

We tried out Reason Core Security, and we are concerned as it shows 39 threat's some with Threat Names that are not even found on a google such as (M) to wanting to remove my entire AMD directory to alerting me to Medium threats from files such as Filezilla to the seutp.dll file for my backup Zoolz Also seems that Reason Core will not take part in any of lab testing. So I did not remove any of the 39 threats as I am not sure that those reports are just false positives. Anyone else uses Reason Core Security / should I remove this files?

Now WebRoot / Malwarebytes AND HitManPro.Alert did not find any of those threats.

What HitManPro found is just tracking cookies, most likely due to WebRoot and Malwarebytes already found and cleaned what it found to be threats. I like the fact that HitManPro was purchased by Sophos, which gives them some very robust backing and resources.

Not sure if I should even add a 3rd layer of security as HitManPro does overlay some of the same security protection in regards to ransomware and such as the MWB Pro version does and WebRoot -

Comments are welcome / Thanks!

Dave

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Yeah Malwarebytes has been down in quality lately and I don't have too much experience with Webroot. I find there are better products for free such as Avast. I am not entirely sure but Zemana has limitless on demand scanning. For getting tracking cookies off use a product such as CCleaner. :)

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I tried Reason Core Security for a short time ,its strengths seem to be in detecting adware,It is known as a sound program,but like many others, its first scan ,is its own advertisement to help push the product,its very unlikely that if you delete these 39 threats any harm will come to your computer,I chose not to continue using,you have other better programs.gl

netology

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 2, 2017
Yeah Malwarebytes has been down in quality lately and I don't have too much experience with Webroot. I find there are better products for free such as Avast. I am not entirely sure but Zemana has limitless on demand scanning. For getting tracking cookies off use a product such as CCleaner. :)

Yes big fan of CCleaner and their products for sure - WebRoot and MWB are doing me good at this point but the Reason Core Security is strange ;)

Reactions: spaceoctopus

netology

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 2, 2017
I tried Reason Core Security for a short time ,its strengths seem to be in detecting adware,It is known as a sound program,but like many others, its first scan ,is its own advertisement to help push the product, its very unlikely that if you delete these 39 threats any harm will come to your computer, I chose not to continue using,you have other better programs.gl

Yeah some of the programs and file folders seem strange that its state was a Medium threat, such as my entire AMD folder seemed a bit odd, and a few of well-known programs such as FileZilla / I am leaning towards or feeling like false positives / so most likely I will remove it / as my testing with HitMan Pro did not flag any of those. Anyway - thanks for the comments!

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I noticed that in the past when I used reason core that it had some issues with false positives. I just remember it detecting about 6 or 7 items on my computer, which is protected by zemana anti malware, avast free and regular scans with malwarebytes. After looking through the detections I wasn't going to remove any of them because they all seems like important parts of programs and I used daily.

To confirm this I also uploaded the detected files to virustotal to see if any engines at all detected the files as malicious, and all of them came up 100% clean. I suggest you might want to do the same for your 39 detections to see if any of them are credible threats.

Also I would just remove reason core from your machine, webroot, hitmanpro and malwarebytes would be enough for your detection.

Should you find any malware that webroot misses maybe you might want to move to a more popular AV like avast, kaspersky or ESET

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Reason core Security is a fine product. But it's still behind products such as HMP, Malwarebytes and Zemana. Like @Hanmin147 said, it has a high level of FPs and needs some refinements. If you want to make a better judgement use HMP, Malwarebytes, Zemana or EEK. These are tools have proven their efficiency. :)

netology

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 2, 2017
I noticed that in the past when I used reason core that it had some issues with false positives. I just remember it detecting about 6 or 7 items on my computer, which is protected by zemana anti malware, avast free and regular scans with malwarebytes. After looking through the detections I wasn't going to remove any of them because they all seems like important parts of programs and I used daily.

To confirm this I also uploaded the detected files to virustotal to see if any engines at all detected the files as malicious, and all of them came up 100% clean. I suggest you might want to do the same for your 39 detections to see if any of them are credible threats.

Also I would just remove reason core from your machine, webroot, hitmanpro and malwarebytes would be enough for your detection.

Should you find any malware that Webroot misses maybe you might want to move to a more popular AV like avast, kaspersky or ESET

All great points, I just tried Reason Core as I think I saw it here on the forums, but I was not super comfortable due a PcMag review and they do not take part in testing as others have, perhaps due to the fact they are a newer player but I think they are 2 to 3 year old? So the false positives and wanting to remove my entire AMD directory and making mention that it is a Medium Threat, I just removed it. I have used Kaspersky and ESET in past years - really I do like those, but I like the methodology of Webroot for now at least, and backing that up with MWB along with HMP - seems enough gates to put up to be safe, along with street smarts ;)

Also for my own Tech Head obsession, I use the free version of VoodooSheild just so I know what is going on.

Take care!

Dave

Reactions: spaceoctopus

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.