Advice Request Reason Core Security...my free trial is over and I already pay for Bitdefender Total. Is there ANY reason at all I should keep from uninstalling it?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ApplethruthaWindow

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 3, 2014
My subject line was pretty much my entire question so I'll just do a little copy paste action:

Reason Core Security...my free trial is over and I already pay for Bitdefender Total. Is there ANY reason at all I should keep from uninstalling it?

("it" being RCS obviously, not Bitdefender)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Uninstall Reason Core Security.

Unchecky was integrated into Reason Core Security, but it is still available as standalone software from Unchecky - Keeps your checkboxes clear (by original developer).

The Free version of Reason Core Security does not allow removal of Malware, Trojans and Adware. It's just a scanner. If you looking for an on-demand scanner, we can advise you by sharing your current security at the following link:
PC Security Configuration

D

Deleted member 65228

I indefinitely agree with the above comments, no doubt about it. Triple 100% agreement by 100 million.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is free for on-demand scanning and does a good job - they have been around since 2006.

Norton Power Eraser (NPE) which is a free on-demand scanner and is provided by one of the most famous security vendors in existence, Symantec - they have been around since the 1990s and has been growing ever since.

Emsisoft Emergency Kit (EEK) is a free on-demand scanner and is provided by Emsisoft - they've been around since the early 2000s and are well-respected on most communities like this one.

Zemana Anti-Malware (ZAM) is available for free if you only intend on doing on-demand scanning. They've been a bit quiet recently though so I'd keep my eye out on that one.

There's already many good options available there listed above.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I'm surprised to hear Reason is still around.

A little story about Andrew over at Reason...

Many years ago Andrew invented what was one of the best anti-spyware/riskware/adware programs ever made 'GIANT Antispyware'. It was so good Microsoft bought it, along with Reliable Antivirus (RAV) and integrated them together to make Windows Defender. Andrew was rich after this however his non-compete agreement forbid him from commercially releasing another security product for a LONG time.

So Andrew invented Herdprotect on-demand scanning. That utilized both his own cloud and VT for on-demand scannings and he utilized the millions of scans a month with Herdprotect to create his own antivirus/riskware database. Ultimately with the goal once his non-compete ran out he would release a new product.. Enter Reason Core Security.

Now to be honest. I'd just use Herdprotect. He pulled the download of it, but the backend is fully functional including the Reason Cloud AND VT. So if you want a lightweight, fast on-demand second opinion scanner why not find a copy of Herdprotect and use that?

1.0.3.9 was the last version, get it from Majorgeeks stored repository, not the authors.
Download herdProtect - MajorGeeks

ApplethruthaWindow

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 3, 2014
Uninstall Reason Core Security.

Unchecky was integrated into Reason Core Security, but it is still available as standalone software from Unchecky - Keeps your checkboxes clear (by original developer).

The Free version of Reason Core Security does not allow removal of Malware, Trojans and Adware. It's just a scanner. If you looking for an on-demand scanner, we can advise you by sharing your current security at the following link:
PC Security Configuration

Wow, I had no idea anything like Unchecky existed let alone that it would be freeware. That's such a great idea for a program, thanks for letting me know about it. I think I just needed some confirmation that uninstalling RCS wouldn't be a mistake even though I figured as much. I checked the company out a bit and they seemed pretty legit so that's probably what gave me pause. Thanks again. Also, nice to know security scans are available without having to install anything but I did my research with the general security suite I decided to use and feel pretty good about having Bitdefender. I know there a number of vulnerability and security scans I can run using that.

ApplethruthaWindow

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 3, 2014
I indefinitely agree with the above comments, no doubt about it. Triple 100% agreement by 100 million.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is free for on-demand scanning and does a good job - they have been around since 2006.

Norton Power Eraser (NPE) which is a free on-demand scanner and is provided by one of the most famous security vendors in existence, Symantec - they have been around since the 1990s and has been growing ever since.

Emsisoft Emergency Kit (EEK) is a free on-demand scanner and is provided by Emsisoft - they've been around since the early 2000s and are well-respected on most communities like this one.

Zemana Anti-Malware (ZAM) is available for free if you only intend on doing on-demand scanning. They've been a bit quiet recently though so I'd keep my eye out on that one.

There's already many good options available there listed above.

Thanks! I really appreciate the info. I didn't know all those options were out there except for Malwarebytes although I didn't know they offered on-demand scanning without having to download their product for another trial period situation.

ApplethruthaWindow

Level 1
Thread author
Nov 3, 2014
I'm surprised to hear Reason is still around.

A little story about Andrew over at Reason...

Many years ago Andrew invented what was one of the best anti-spyware/riskware/adware programs ever made 'GIANT Antispyware'. It was so good Microsoft bought it, along with Reliable Antivirus (RAV) and integrated them together to make Windows Defender. Andrew was rich after this however his non-compete agreement forbid him from commercially releasing another security product for a LONG time.

So Andrew invented Herdprotect on-demand scanning. That utilized both his own cloud and VT for on-demand scannings and he utilized the millions of scans a month with Herdprotect to create his own antivirus/riskware database. Ultimately with the goal once his non-compete ran out he would release a new product.. Enter Reason Core Security.

Now to be honest. I'd just use Herdprotect. He pulled the download of it, but the backend is fully functional including the Reason Cloud AND VT. So if you want a lightweight, fast on-demand second opinion scanner why not find a copy of Herdprotect and use that?

1.0.3.9 was the last version, get it from Majorgeeks stored repository, not the authors.
Download herdProtect - MajorGeeks

I have to say I'm surprised how helpful and fast you other forum members have been. Great info. Love it. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.