Recommended setting for System Watcher in Kaspersky Total Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artificial intelligence

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 20, 2017
It's okay ? Or recommend an adjustment. Thank you.
2017-03-29_5-59-58.png

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hello,
I cannot understand Spanish but it looks good. To really improve your system security you should look at Kaspersky's Application Control settings, that's were you can do the most work, here is a guide to help you - How to setup Kaspersky Internet Security 2016 for Maximum Protection (Guide) - it's for KIS 2016, but it should work for 2017 as well!

@harlan4096 may also give you some great tips on how to better configure Kaspersky.

Artificial intelligence

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 20, 2017

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
In case of module "System Watcher", defaults settings are ok and should not be changed...
@harlan4096, what about the idea of using Application Control to put script interpreters in the High Restricted category? What do you say about that kind of a tweak?

I even put cmd.exe in High Restricted, and everything still works fine, and my apps that use cmd.exe are still able to function normally.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@shmu26: I guess You did that because the last special sample I tested yesterday night that tried to Exploit cmd.exe. We have been testing at MWHub lately some similar/variants samples (usually .doc) that tried the same.

As You can see, in every case KTS2018 (and I guess also K2017 would do the same) in default settings detected the attack and blocked it without having signatures...

If that "strong tweak" is working fine for now for You, that's great... anyway I'm not sure whether You will have any issue in future with any other applications or Windows working, please let us know...

Last edited:

Artificial intelligence

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 20, 2017
@shmu26: I guess You did that because the last special sample I tested yesterday night that tried to Exploit cmd.exe. We have been testing at MWHub lately some similar/variants samples (usually .doc) that tried the same.

As You can see, in every case KTS2018 (and I guess also K2017 would do the same) in default settings detected the attack and blocked it without having signatures...

If that "strong tweak" is working fine for now for You, that's great... anyway I'm not sure whether You will have any issue in future with any other applications or Windows workings, let us know...
I'm scared, do I return it to the default configuration?

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015

If that "strong tweak" is working fine for now for You, that's great... anyway I'm not sure whether You will have any issue in future with any other applications or Windows working, please let us know...
Thanks, and it wasn't because of your latest test, it is just my general paranoia about script interpreters. Whatever my security config may be, I always try to get them under control.
Almost all users could block or restrict wscript and cscript and powershell without any issues, and that will make it really hard for malware to download and run payloads, or hack the registry etc.
The touchy process is cmd.exe. So far, I haven't had any problems, but potentially, it could cause issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.