Not open for further replies.

Antimalware18

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
Hello all,

I'm giving windows defender a try because I have seen that it has better detection rates then Comodo's AV
And upon trying it I've noticed that for some reason I no longer have the option to restore removed threats. It shows the threats in the "Scan History" but all it gives me the option to do is delete the history and/or view threats but no option to restore them anymore

I would like to note that I USED to have the option when i looked at defender before but its now gone. I should also note that I did fiddle with the registry a few times to permanently disable defender. Don't know if that would have had anything to do with it.

This picture was taken right after windows defender detected and removed the EICAR test file.

Su5OiGn.jpg

Reactions: Vasudev and frogboy

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
That situation never happended with me, quarantined threats were always displayed correctly under WD settings.
Perhaps it is time to undo the changes you have done in the registry, then restart the PC and try to download EICAR again and see how WD performs this time.

Antimalware18

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
Perhaps it is time to undo the changes you have done in the registry, then restart the PC and try to download EICAR again and see how WD performs this time.

I thought that too...only problem is, I don't remember all the changes :D

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Probably because the EICAR file was permanently deleted from the system. Check your settings.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Try older UI of windows defender with the absolute path: "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe"

Antimalware18

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
Then a backup restore might be your best friend...

what about a Reset/refreash?

I'm noticing other issues as well. Like the windows defender security service wont auto start even though its set to automatic

Antimalware18

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
Its a bog, sometimes WD disappears from notification tray.

Don't know if mine is still a bug or not. when my PC starts up it shows the defender icon but then promply dissapears before you can click it.

Then If I go into services all windows defender services are running and set to start "Automatic"

Except "Windows Defender Security Center" which is set to "Automatic" but is never "running" beggining to wonder if it is a corrupted service and
how would I fix that? don't really wish to refresh the PC but I might be forced to.

Antimalware18

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
Advanced System Care Pro (you have a free license over the giveaways on this forums) provides a tool that fixes and repairs all registry entries related to Windows Defender to fix it.

downloaded and installed the free version I think. what would I choose to fix defender?

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Advanced System Care Pro (you have a free license over the giveaways on this forums) provides a tool that fixes and repairs all registry entries related to Windows Defender to fix it. As well, you can try this: Problems starting Windows Defender in Windows 8/8.1/10 or repair defender
Don't even touch ASC registry part, its just worsens the situation sometimes.
I fixed it, because I memorized the cmd line part of early windows defender. If you have CCleaner, go to startup then Windows Defender entry, right click that entry and click on Open in regedit. Add -hide argument after end quote. Like this: "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCuiL.exe" -hide

Reactions: brod56

Antimalware18

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
I fixed it, because I memorized the cmd line part of early windows defender. If you have CCleaner, go to startup then Windows Defender entry, right click that entry and click on Open in regedit. Add -hide argument after end quote. Like this: "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCuiL.exe" -hide

already uninstalled it, options to fix were only in pro.

I've tried registry hacks and none of them worked including adding a string to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

with the order of:

"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe"-runkey

and even that didn't work.

I tried adding MSASCui.exe to the startup folder by superkey+R opening Shell:Startup and adding that file then restarting but
upon loging into windows i get a error that mpclient.dll is missing which when looking that up is related to windows vista apparently (this is a win10 machine)

starting to think I need some hardcore windows experts to figure this out for me.

If I can get windows defender sercurity center to auto-start like it should and the system tray icon to show ill be golden.

please help anyone?:D

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
already uninstalled it, options to fix were only in pro.

I've tried registry hacks and none of them worked including adding a string to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

with the order of:

"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe"-runkey

and even that didn't work.

I tried adding MSASCui.exe to the startup folder by superkey+R opening Shell:Startup and adding that file then restarting but
upon loging into windows i get a error that mpclient.dll is missing which when looking that up is related to windows vista apparently (this is a win10 machine)

starting to think I need some hardcore windows experts to figure this out for me.

If I can get windows defender sercurity center to auto-start like it should and the system tray icon to show ill be golden.

please help anyone?:D
There is a space after end quote. Optionally run sfc /scannow

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Could not agree more. I had a bad experience with system cleaners once, and promised myself I wouldn't use any more than CCleaner.

what about a Reset/refreash?

I'm noticing other issues as well. Like the windows defender security service wont auto start even though its set to automatic
If you have file backups and all keys from the programs you use, then I see no problem in doing a Windows 10 refresh, it is a very safe procedure.

Reactions: Vasudev

Antimalware18

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
If you have file backups and all keys from the programs you use, then I see no problem in doing a Windows 10 refresh, it is a very safe procedure.

Yeah, I just got back online after doing a refresh. Windows defender working as it should now.

Only problem? I forgot how long it takes to setup a PC (download all apps, change all settings):D

1 1/2 hours in and I'm still downloading apps and windows has about 12 updates to download and install lol

Reactions: Vasudev

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Yeah, I just got back online after doing a refresh. Windows defender working as it should now.

Only problem? I forgot how long it takes to setup a PC (download all apps, change all settings):D

1 1/2 hours in and I'm still downloading apps and windows has about 12 updates to download and install lol
The wait will be worth it :)

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I don't know what version of ASC you guys tried, but i've been using the Pro version for some months now, even used the registry fixers and worked with no problems at all, never had a counter-consequence. I'd trust a company much more than a registry hack or script i find on the web. You just give softwares bad reputation for individual problems you have...

Antimalware18

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
The wait will be worth it :)

Still didn't fix the issue @brod56 :(

But I'm narrowing it down. The only thing's I've done on this PC since the reset is:

Install:
Chrome
Comodo
Thunderbird
LibreOffice
CCleaner
PC games that dont run in memory.
Classic Shell

Disabled:
Non-important services (Geo location) nothing that should interrupt Windows Defender

ONLY registry tweak I did was to enable PUP scanning/detection in Windows defender. Deleted the changes and it didn't fix the issue

The problem occurred again after all of this was done. So I am guessing it has something to do with one of these apps/changes.

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Still didn't fix the issue @brod56 :(

But I'm narrowing it down. The only thing's I've done on this PC since the reset is:

Install:
Chrome
Comodo
Thunderbird
LibreOffice
CCleaner
PC games that dont run in memory.
Classic Shell

Disabled:
Non-important services (Geo location) nothing that should interrupt Windows Defender

ONLY registry tweak I did was to enable PUP scanning/detection in Windows defender. Deleted the changes and it didn't fix the issue

The problem occurred again after all of this was done. So I am guessing it has something to do with one of these apps/changes.

Hard to tell which one is causing the issue. I personally never liked how agressive Classic Shell is in the system but I guess it has nothing to do with WD.
Im assuming you installed Comodo Firewall, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.