Recover Seagate EPD

Butch Marshall

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 5, 2017
I'm operating a Seagate 1Tb Expansion Portable Drive on Windows 10 Pro. My PC had a BSD moment and closed down on its own. After rebooting the EPD started beeping - I closed down the PC and removed the EPD. After rebooting and plugging in, the EPD was not accessible and the directory/file is corrupted or unreadable. I've tried chkdsk it displayed "The type of the file system is NTFS". Nothing else.

I've tried all of SeaTools for Windows - but nothing relevant showing. Also tried the EPD>properties>tools>error checking but Windows can't access the disk.

Seagate offer recovery software for £90 or In-Lab data recovery for £650 (gulp...!). Is there any other recovery software that's fairly idiot proof out there?

Many thanks

Butch Marshall

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 5, 2017
Sorted now. Using MiniTool Power Data Recovery. Retrieved 98% of data from my external drive.

JohnnyLaser

Jun 28, 2014
I see that this is an older post and issue is resolved, but for future issues with virtually any physical drive..... Home of Gibson Research Corporation is def worth checking out.
Most of us probably already know who Steve Gibson is and the treasure trove of tools he has built, but for those who do not, a visit to his site is well worth the time!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ispx

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.