App Review ReHIPS against Ransomware

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
first time watching this vid, I have not installed or used rehips yet, so it was helpful to see its operation. Question, I saw rehips had "standard" protection mode, ok, and then when each ransomware opened, there's a rehips popup and it looked like the default was "allow" but then tester selected allow in protected environment (paraphrase). Any concern with default allow? or is that something the user can automatically globally set so that default is allow in protected environment?
If you allow there is no protection and the file will run as it would normally. When something is not secure you need to run it isolated. The reason that default is allow is because user is going to run more normal files that the appropriate action will be to allow so the default section should be allow.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
The video shows that the weakness is the user. The default option is to allow the ransomware. ReHIPS protected the system because the tester/user chose the programs to run isolated. So, without changing or choosing anything other than the default, the system might have been infected.
But even then, I think that the HIPS part would have done all the protection once the "allow" was chosen.

emphasis added, so new user (or so far non-user but interested), I noticed same in video, but don't understand last sentence. rehips works even if the user selects "allow" ??o_O

EDIT nevermind, I read your above posts after I posted this. Hope to play with rehips soon.

Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
If you allow there is no protection and the file will run as it would normally. When something is not secure you need to run it isolated. The reason that default is allow is because user is going to run more normal files that the appropriate action will be to allow so the default section should be allow.

yes, thanks. I should have read more posts before I posted mine. questions answered by Umbra and XhenEd. I gurss I was "excited" to see rehips in operation. :)

Reactions: AtlBo and SHvFl

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
If only that were true... right ? No more need of security softs... everybody's digital life is much easier.
Just play music in the background while using system... soothes and protects the system and the soul.

reminds me of a move, Mars Attacks! (1996) music saves the day for earthlings.

Reactions: SHvFl and AtlBo

Recrypt

From ReHIPS
Verified
Developer
May 26, 2014
This video shows one of intermediate RC builds. There indeed was Allow selected as default option. But in later builds and eventually in release build we removed it for security reasons so user won't accidentally click OK with defaulted Allow.
Best Regards, fixer.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.