S

SkyJP

Thread author
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
As above
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
None taken.
upload_2015-7-30_9-21-28.png

Free space is lacking on the W: drive (which holds all personal files) while the C: drive (Windows 10) has plenty of space.

I need to shrink the C: drive then add this unallocated space to the W: drive, although the recovery partition is in the way.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
  • For just in case backup all your important data on some external medium, and create a system backup image.
  • Download MiniTool Partition Wizard Boot CD
  • Burn it on a blank CD or better create a bootable USB (Using Rufus for example)
  • Boot from an CD/USB containing MiniTool Partition Wizard, as resizing and moving system partition around is, at my point of view, always safer and faster to do outside of Windows
  • Resize system partition to the desired size, then move recovery partition toward the left through the unallocated space left by resizing the system partition , by clicking and holding the mouse on desired partition. Do the same with Data W partition, moving it toward the left so the all unallocated space will be left on the end of the disk. At the end, resize the Data (W) partition at the expense of unallocated space left.
  • Apply all the operations and wait for the program to finish
  • Moving partitions can last for some time so you need to be patient
  • Reboot
  • Enjoy

Upvote 0

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
According to your screen cap I don't see the recovery partition in the way. Partition Wizard is the best tool for partition manipulation, with the exception that I prefer to use Windows to shrink itself.

Reactions: SkyJP
Upvote 0
S

SkyJP

Thread author
  • For just in case backup all your important data on some external medium, and create a system backup image.
  • Download MiniTool Partition Wizard Boot CD
  • Burn it on a blank CD or better create a bootable USB (Using Rufus for example)
  • Boot from an CD/USB containing MiniTool Partition Wizard, as resizing and moving system partition around is, at my point of view, always safer and faster to do outside of Windows
  • Resize system partition to the desired size, then move recovery partition toward the left through the unallocated space left by resizing the system partition , by clicking and holding the mouse on desired partition. Do the same with Data W partition, moving it toward the left so the all unallocated space will be left on the end of the disk. At the end, resize the Data (W) partition at the expense of unallocated space left.
  • Apply all the operations and wait for the program to finish
  • Moving partitions can last for some time so you need to be patient
  • Reboot
  • Enjoy

Thanks, I managed to get it working and my W: partition is expanded.
upload_2015-7-30_15-47-3.png

Now, the problem is that it is no longer recognised as a "Recovery" partition but instead a NTFS partition.

Does this tell me if the partition is correctly identified and is functioning as a recovery partition?:
upload_2015-7-30_16-0-16.png

According to your screen cap I don't see the recovery partition in the way. Partition Wizard is the best tool for partition manipulation, with the exception that I prefer to use Windows to shrink itself.

The problem was that if there were unallocated space on the left side of the recovery partition, then the Data (W:) partition (on the right) could not be extended since the recovery partition was splitting the two.

Upvote 0

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
What did you do? Recovery partition was 100% free on the start and now is 17% free and formatted to NTFS. Did you manipulate partitions with Minitool or Windows Disk Management?

Upvote 0
S

SkyJP

Thread author
What did you do? Recovery partition was 100% free on the start and now is 17% free and formatted to NTFS. Did you manipulate partitions with Minitool or Windows Disk Management?

I used Minitools to shrink the C: drive, move the recovery partition on the left side of unallocated space, then expand W: drive to left.

Upvote 0

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Well... somehow Recovery Partition was formatted in NTFS type. I don't know if Windows can recognize it anymore for recovery purposes. Anyway, I always used third-party software for backup/recovery stuff, dunno how did you use to, but you can always try now if the Recovery Environment will work by booting in recovery partition from the boot menu by pressing F10, F12 (manufacturer dependent) now when Recovery partition is changed (by some circumstances).

Reactions: Jack
Upvote 0

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
The problem was that if there were unallocated space on the left side of the recovery partition, then the Data (W:) partition (on the right) could not be extended since the recovery partition was splitting the two.

Ok. It would have been clearer to attach a shot of the graphical partition table, so all unallocated area would be seen.

I don't know if the recovery partition will work now. The reason it's being seen as occupied is that now that it's NTFS Windows can read it, whereas before it could not and so it was reported as 100% empty. It may be usable, but I would give it a dry run to see if Windows will access it. If not, maybe use this article to create a USB recovery stick: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4200-recovery-drive-create-windows-10-a.html. Or you could go back in via Partition Wizard and change the partition type back (it may be obvious which type to use, or you may have to search it out).

I agree wholeheartedly though, that the best backup regimen is through the use of a third party tool (easeus, aomei, macrium, clonezilla,redo etc). Too many Win8 users have been stiffed by MS's fragile and very basic recovery scheme.

The other issue I would have is the partition order. You've placed the business end of the install at the rear of the drive, which if it is a mechanical drive is by far the slowest region. A better order would have been Windows, Data, SR, Recovery.

Upvote 0
S

SkyJP

Thread author
I was able to restart Windows and go into "Troubleshoot", access Advanced Options and also the Command Prompt successfully (starts from X: drive).

All I've done now is "hide" the partition... (don't know if this really counts) though it loses the "(Recovery partition)" label in the original screenshot.

upload_2015-7-30_18-55-50.png

This prevents the drive from showing in File Explorer.

I use Windows recovery as a first attempt to fix basic problems, before restoring from an image.

Upvote 0

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I was able to restart Windows and go into "Troubleshoot", access Advanced Options and also the Command Prompt successfully (starts from X: drive).

All I've done now is "hide" the partition... (don't know if this really counts) though it loses the "(Recovery partition)" label in the original screenshot.

View attachment 67196

This prevents the drive from showing in File Explorer.

I use Windows recovery as a first attempt to fix basic problems, before restoring from an image.
Then you can freely delete recovery partition...

Reactions: SkyJP
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
You can delete the recovery partition. It is lost now for Windows reset/refresh... just do a test to be sure before deleting it.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.