Remaining question after removing Ad.directrev.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlewolvie

Thread author
Sep 17, 2014
Hello,

First of all, a big thank you for the "Remove Ad.directrev.com pop-up ads (Virus Removal Guide)" page. It helped solve my problem with this particularly annoying piece of malware/adware. It once again shows that a 100% up to date full security suite (in my case KIS 2015) is no guarantee that you won't get infected by something. What particularly bugs me is the fact that this was installed through the latest version of Filehippo Update Checker (1.041), a software utility have been using for many years and never had any problems with before. This was downloaded through their official website. Very disappointing and I certainly won't use this tool anymore nor visit their website anymore.

But enough background information. I followed your instructions to the letter and went through the different removal tools. All tools no longer detect anything and I no longer experience the annoying popup/tab problems anymore either. However, there's still something that keeps bugging me and just doesn't put my conscience at rest yet. There's an anime sharing site nihonomaru (I'm not posting the full URL in order to comply with the forum rules) which I've visited many times in the past. Basically, it's an anime/manga related forum as there are so many. At the top of the site, there's a search field which allows you to search through the site and forums (just as there's one on this site as well). If you type something there, it will open a new tab to ad-directrev-com. Now, at first, I thought that some remaining piece of malware was still present on my machine and I was at the point to completely reinstall it. But as I was getting tired of messing with my PC, I did a couple more tests. I opened the same webpage on a different PC (also running windows 7) and a virtual machine (running good old Windows XP) on which I never installed any suspicious programs. I even opened it on my mobile phone. And guess what, they all show the same behavior and will open the extra tab to ad-directrev-com. Now, it's almost impossible that all these hosts would be infected, especially the mobile phone running android on which I didn't install any crap. It's also the only website where I encounter this phenomenon. So, I was wondering if it's possible that the adware/malware functionality is present on the website itself and not on my machines? Was this website infected or was this search field put there deliberately? The fact that there are some weird (bullshit) advertisements at the top of the site don't give me a good feeling either. Is this a possibility? In that case I know the problem is not with me and it would put my mind at rest. I'll simply have to look for my anime elsewhere. :)

upload_2014-9-17_12-30-26.png

Once again, thanks for your excellent guide. It sure helped me!

Kind regards,

Erwin

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Hello,

There is a possibility that this site is compromised. When you check about this behaviour with other devices, are they all connected to internet via the same router?

littlewolvie

Thread author
Sep 17, 2014
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it!

No, the other devices were connected at my office place through their network. I've no idea how their network is setup, but I would imagine they have a whole bunch of routers.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Then, only option left is that this site is compromised. Did you try other websites, to see if this will happen?

littlewolvie

Thread author
Sep 17, 2014
Just to be sure I connected my phone to the 4G network and tried the same thing. the result was the same. I then opened a couple of websites such as Yahoo and others with search fields and the behavior was normal. No annoying ads nor popups on these.

littlewolvie

Thread author
Sep 17, 2014
Then, only option left is that this site is compromised. Did you try other websites, to see if this will happen?

Yes! :) I usually get slightly paranoid with these kind of things. So, I opened all kind of websites and had no problems at all. The problem seems limited to this one site.

littlewolvie

Thread author
Sep 17, 2014
Well, I think we've reached the same conclusion. You can close this thread as far as I'm concerned. I feel pretty confident that my PC is running as it should once more. I've to admit though that I'm thinking about purchasing one of the tools that helped me solving this problem (Malwarebytes Anti-Malware as my personal preference so far). It kind' a pisses me off that you need to purchase all these different products and utilities to be on the safe side instead of one solution that takes care of everything. I consider KIS (Kaspersky) an excellent product, but it's not worth much when it comes to this kind of treats. Or I could of course simply disconnect myself from the internet, which would probably also work. ;) But I guess that's the world we're living in.

Thanks again for your patient replies. And once more, a huge thank you for the excellent guide which made removing this pesky thing a relatively easy thing and saved me re-installing my PC (as I cannot stand that kind of stuff on my machine). You can close this one and mark it as solved as far as I'm concerned. :)

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Since this issue appears to be resolved, I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please contact me or any staff member with the address of the thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.