JM Safe

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Hello everyone!

Today I want to share with you another good extension, which:

Immediately after performing a search on Google, if one mouse-overs one of the results, one will see the true URL of the link. However, mousedown adds an ugly Google redirect to the URL. This add-on prevents that from happening.

Informations of the extension:

When we perform a Google search for someone else and find something useful, we often want to right-click the link directly in the search results and copy the link. Unfortunately, the link we will actually get is a huge URL with a Google prefix, rather than the original URL.

Google uses this for redirect for tracking, which may be reasonable, but makes it very inconvenient to copy out links.

This add-on disables the Javascript function that Google uses to create the redirect link, leaving the user with fresh, crisp links.

Note that the implication of this technique is that it will only work on Google sites where the redirect link is generated client-side. In particular, it does not work on Google Images, where the redirect link is generated server-side.

LINK: Remove Google Redirect in Google Search Results

This extension is avalaible for Mozilla Firefox and Firefox-based browsers.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Ah most people might not know but an extension available in Chrome too. Always ran it since 2013 because the long links were a pain!

Heres the extension:

DxuleUE.png

And here is the screenshot of my Chrome (see at the very bottom, screen capture didnt capture cursor but first link was hovered)
JdBJzow.png

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
If I'm not mistaken, Slimjet does this via a setting. I'd imagine it works with all search engines. Some search engines like DuckDuckGo can do this by itself.

Slimjet:

screenshot_127.png

DuckDuckGo:

screenshot_128.png

Since Slimjet does this already, I'm good. For Firefox, I will add that. I use Google for both because of better search results.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
A useful but in other way around there are some factors, usually a slow internet connection can give you pain as it will redirect first on google search before the actual site whereas a reliable connection can manage to browse without any hindrance.

However in other way where you want to copy and paste link then yes its a must.

Reactions: JM Safe

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
There has always been no slow down for me wether I have the extension or or off. It simply allows u to go directly to the site mimicking as if you typed the exact address in address bar.

Reactions: Exterminator
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.