removed SFSEARCHFLY with adwcleaner it returned almost immediately are there any scans for email?

jellyfishjuice

Thread author
Verified
Jun 11, 2014
I was wondering if maybe opening an email might have brought superfast searchfly back onto my desktop.
If that is possible what programs are there for me to scan emails?

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thank you, jellyfishjuice, for sharing your configuration. ...and for bringing a smile to my face with your cool & uniquely sounding "Sponge Bob-like" user name!:p..Lol!:D *Takes breath* Now, I've a straight face. You may ask for expert assistance here: http://malwaretips.com/forums/malware-removal-assistance.10/
Although I've not practiced scanning email, I will share how Gmail has proven their email service to be among the most secure in terms of spam filtering. I've had nary a problem from opening any mail since using Gmail's web based e-mail, and no longer rely on e-mail apps like Outlook Express or Thunderbird, although I have heard good things of the latter! When opening e-mail, as we all must do, you can use a free containment protection called Sandboxie http://www.sandboxie.com/ which helps your system remain free of changes just as a rain slicker keeps you warm & dry when caught unexpectedly in a deluge. We use it while browsing on each of our three home computers!:) You might also consider, as a last ditch effort, refreshing your system back to it's factory settings; but I'd recommend trying our removal assistance here first.;)

Last edited:
Reactions: TwinHeadedEagle

jellyfishjuice

Thread author
Verified
Jun 11, 2014
Thank you, jellyfishjuice, for sharing your configuration. ...and for bringing a smile to my face with your cool & uniquely sounding "Sponge Bob-like" user name!:p..Lol!:D *Takes breath* Now, I've a straight face. You may ask for expert assistance here: http://malwaretips.com/forums/malware-removal-assistance.10/
Although I've not practiced scanning email, I will share how Gmail has proven their email service to be among the most secure in terms of spam filtering. I've had nary a problem from opening any mail since using Gmail's web based e-mail, and no longer rely on e-mail apps like Outlook Express or Thunderbird, although I have heard good things of the latter! When opening e-mail, as we all must do, you can use a free containment protection called Sandboxie http://www.sandboxie.com/ which helps your system remain free of changes just as a rain slicker keeps you warm & dry when caught unexpectedly in a deluge. We use it while browsing on each of our three home computers!:) You might also consider, as a last ditch effort, refreshing your system back to it's factory settings; but I'd recommend trying our removal assistance here first.;)

Thank You Cats-4_Owners-2
I do not know why I have malwarebites listed for a Privacy software I guess late-night and lack of sleep. We did Have Webroot until a couple of months back, it seems they had some privacy features. What I found out last night was SF SEARCHFLY was effecting IE but it appeared to be originating from Google Chrome
the first thing that I did was reset IE then I uninstalled Google Chrome then reinstalled Google Chrome shortly thereafter SF SEARCHFLY reappeared on Google Chrome then I again uninstalled Google Chrome this time leaving it off, then this morning after getting off from work I rescanned the computer with adwcleaner and I got this registry key:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Google\Chrome\Extensions\bopakagnckmlgajfccecajhnimjiiedh
It has been deleted but there is a pattern going on here so I'll scan it tomorrow and there'll be something else. It just seems odd that Google Chrome was the source where it appears to be originating from. For the most part I never used Google Chrome. I always use Google period. I do have a family member who Likes to go to sweepstakes websites and is constantly downloading programs associated with her
sweepstakes websites which include search engines but she like me always use IE and when I get anything attached to the Google engine (so and so "powered by Google)"or something other than Google I uninstall it and make Google my homepage. I hope when I scan the computer again that there will not be another occurrence. I have installed Lubuntu on my mothers desktop I got to go back over to her house and get her back online her DSL was hit by lightning I would like to know what you think about Lubuntu.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.