Advice Request Are there any tests out there comparing a security software with itself at higher settings?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

mlnevese

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I was just wondering if there are any reliable tests out there not comparing two different products but a product with itself set to higher protection settings, like higher level heuristics, etc.

I looked for it and just found an old one for Kaspersky where setting everything to maximum only had a performance impact on the machine but didn't find anything the normal settings didn't.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
I was just wondering if there are any reliable tests out there not comparing two different products but a product with itself set to higher protection settings, like higher level heuristics, etc.

I looked for it and just found an old one for Kaspersky where setting everything to maximum only had a performance impact on the machine but didn't find anything the normal settings didn't.
From my experience under normal circumstances and without “sweating” all night, it is difficult to find samples that are not detected even with default settings. The ones that are not detected (without going into details who is not excellent with what) are not detected even with higher settings and they are usually not really widespread. So the settings are not really that important. I am not aware of any test that compares default vs higher for home users.

F

ForgottenSeer 98186

Here is a banking protection test. It is not exactly what you are looking for, but for some of the software it does involve configuring hardened settings or using an additional component.

Kaspersky, with its Application Control, will block many programs if certain settings are enabled. I suppose you can call it "Hardened Kaspersky."

For most other settings, setting them to maximum possible values will not make any noticeable difference in terms of protection. It will degrade performance on some systems.

Like most all consumer AVs, it is optimized with default settings so that the risk introduced by the user having to make decisions or respond to alerts is minimized as much as possible.

Xeno1234

Level 14
Jun 12, 2023
Here is a banking protection test. It is not exactly what you are looking for, but for some of the software it does involve configuring hardened settings or using an additional component.

Kaspersky, with its Application Control, will block many programs if certain settings are enabled. I suppose you can call it "Hardened Kaspersky."

For most other settings, setting them to maximum possible values will not make any noticeable difference in terms of protection. It will degrade performance on some systems.

Like most all consumer AVs, it is optimized with default settings so that the risk introduced by the user having to make decisions or respond to alerts is minimized as much as possible.
What settings need to be enabled with for "Hardened Kaspersky"

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
You may try "Default Deny" mode:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.