Removing the remains of Trovi Spam Virus from Google Chrome.

Stupid-Idiot

Thread author
Verified
Sep 13, 2014
When I run ADW Cleaner I get this image.
Is that anything to be worried about? What does it mean?

Attachments

• ADW Final.png
    ADW Final.png
    98 KB · Views: 49

Stupid-Idiot

Thread author
Verified
Sep 13, 2014
Also, just to double check, I ran Hitman Pro, I did NOT clean with it (As I am assuming running it does no harm), just ran a scan to see what was there and I got these again.

Attachments

• Hitmanlog.png
    Hitmanlog.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 58

Stupid-Idiot

Thread author
Verified
Sep 13, 2014
Ok,

So i decided to try manually removng the detected items: the google chrome preferences, cookies, and web data from AppDate in chrome folder. Once I do this and run adw cleaner, malwarebytes, and hitman pro, i get a FULL clean bill of health, zero items detected.

Now, as SOON and i open up google chrome, do a search, close it, and run all scans again, all malware is back.

So, something seems to be hidden somewhere that has nothing to do with Chrome.

Lost, and don't know what to do.

Stupid-Idiot

Thread author
Verified
Sep 13, 2014
Ooookkkkk,

SO, I cleared the sync data, but once I signed in and re-synced my stuff, it all came back :( All of those in the image are back! :(

Does this mean I have to use Chrome forever, unsynced? If you clear the sync shouldn't it start-a-new?

HELP! :(

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    100.6 KB · Views: 50

Stupid-Idiot

Thread author
Verified
Sep 13, 2014
So, it looks like whenever you "stop and clear sync data" On Chrome, as soon as you sign on it automatically starts syncing again.

So I would suppose this didn't help. When not signed in, there are no bugs detected, when signed in, bugs come back. AHHH! This has got to be the most annoying bug everrrrrrrr. Does that not mean that the bug is still in the comp?

Stupid-Idiot

Thread author
Verified
Sep 13, 2014
Ok,

The other weird thing about all of this is SOMETIMES the above bugs are detected, and SOMETIMES, only THIS bug is detected, but always the same one in both.

I logged on and into Chrome, searched for bugs, found this. Did it another time and found the ones above... not sure what to believe here!

Attachments

• Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    98.2 KB · Views: 55

Stupid-Idiot

Thread author
Verified
Sep 13, 2014
Ok, I will wait again, but the first time I did it I waited over 15 hours, I did it before I went to sleep, then I went to work, came back and tried it. How long do you have to wait?

Either way, I t was confirmed that the info had been emptied and that once I logged on it started pulling info from somewhere and all the data was back in sync. I am so confused :(

Stupid-Idiot

Thread author
Verified
Sep 13, 2014
And just to confirm, I ran another test. After stopping and clearing sync, scanning for bugs, NOTHING COMES UP, although I am NOT LOGGED INTO CHROME.

I am positive as soon as I log into chrome the bugs will be back. What I don't understand is how they are gone now, but come back after the sync? hours later?

Stupid-Idiot

Thread author
Verified
Sep 13, 2014
This IS a huge pain in the ass. I haven't extensively used Chrome, but I am worried my passwords etc. will get stolen, for financials and other important things. Clearly something is still in here. Chrome does boot slow. Maybe ill use Chrome tonight not logging into anything and report back with my findings.

Whoever made this bug sure knew what they were doing.

Stupid-Idiot

Thread author
Verified
Sep 13, 2014
So, I bought a new hard drive and installed it, downloaded google chrome, and synced, then ran adw cleaner and it still pulls up the

users\jon\appdata\local\google\chrome\user data\default\preferences.

Does that even mean anything? Can they pull information with that there? I dont know what to do, it's almost like they permanently ruined my Google account.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Is this exactly how you did this. If you removed it correctly, then I don't know why is it happening again?

k1qt6g.jpg

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.