Status
Not open for further replies.

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
maybe kaspersky or panda...kaspersky and Panda solved many problems in my old xp
I already used avira, he deleted many important files along malware files... bad experience:D
avg is good, but I think Bitdefender made a good and better job that avg.
I talk from my experience as home user. since the last time I used kaspersky, Avg, Avira and Bitdefender they has primitive options( clean the file, delete or repair) but all works well.
soo, in my opinion the more user friendly was kaspersky, bitdefender and panda.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
What is your favorite rescue disk?

First of all there are 3 types of rescue disk.
1: "AV build" rescue disks (usually with dedicated AV for system recovery and pre-boot malware removal) this type of rescue disk is while useful not always the rescue disk you need.

2: Boot and General rescue disks these type of disks are developed by third parties which bundle useful repair and diagnostic tools (this particular type of rescue disks are AWESOME and can recover most systems.

3: User created rescue disks (If the user knows what he is doing then he can assemble a rescue disk that's beats ANYTHING out there depending on what the user adds to the ISO.

So having that said i need to add the following, rescue disks have often VERY limited AV tools (Other then standard AV engine + update if internet is available) so additional protections (Like "Firewall, Behavior Blocker" while present in some brands is usually useless.
Also when a rescue disk comes into play then it usually means that everything else failed, and the best ones are opensource period.
There are some brands that do offer a reasonable rescue disk and Kaspersky is one of the better ones due to the fact it takes a snapshot during creation within the AV itself, Effectively being able to roll back 90% of the deepest infections (Or at least be able to make the system bootable again) however as i said opensource (and very few commercial ones) are usually your best bet...

If i have to pick 3 favorites based upon your VERY incomplete list (As there are some that offer much better then anything listed here) then its going to be:

1: DR web (Yes dr web's rescue disk is incredible good and hybrid Linux driven)
2: Kaspersky (Also partly Linux driven).
3: F-secure and AVG (pretty much the same system so both are on par and are also Linux driven.
And allow me to give a wild card to Norton Bootable Recovery Tool and Sophos Bootable Anti-Virus as i personally have lots of EXP with them and its just great and pretty much on par with the rest of my choices.

Now i am not saying others are bad, because to tell you the truth pretty much any name in your list will do if your system is in need of rescue as usually they all get the job done. Yet if capability, stability and high success rate would be a factor then my tiny list has options that none of the others have.

So when you make a topic like this then you might wanna include the following names:

ArcaNix
Comodo Rescue Disk
eScan Rescue Disk
F-Secure Rescue CD
G Data Boot-CD
PC Tools Alternate Operating System Scanner
Quick Heal Emergency Disk
Rising Antivirus Rescue CD
Trend Micro Rescue Disk
TrustPort System Rescue Disk
VBA32 Rescue
VirusBuster Rescue CD
Windows Defender Offline
Zillya! LiveCD
Trinity Rescue Kit <<< A tool to watch btw pretty GREAT!!)
Anvi Rescue Disk
HitmanPro.Kickstart

Now why do i list these brands? Well because while their AV might not be as good as the triple A counterparts the fact is that rescue cd's are almost all with offline AV (And maybe a updater) and packed with traditionally the same tools or combi of tools.

Cheers i hope this helps.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
1. Bart PE/UBCD (Custom Built with Portable Avira). Used only when dealing with the toughest malware that can be disabled using Normal or Safe Mode.

I have 6 of 8 listed above except ESET and Dr. Web

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.