Research Finds Microsoft Edge Has Privacy-Invading Telemetry

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Is exactly the same as all the studies which targetted Windows 10, all it takes is Windows 10 connecting to Microsoft Servers to check for updates that everyone starts whining is collecting data on you.

Exactly.

Everything, I mean everything now a days phones home for various reasons. Heck websites and trackers are keeping tabs on you. I think the biggest issue is that the privacy we once knew it is gone and there are some who cannot grasp that concept. All you can do is control what you put online about yourself. Other than that there's not much else we can do unfortunately.

As I've already said, as long as they are using the data they way they say it's for, there's no issues IMHO. Unless someone can prove otherwise like they did with Avast, then this is all just speculation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Is exactly the same as all the studies which targetted Windows 10, all it takes is Windows 10 connecting to Microsoft Servers to check for updates that everyone starts whining is collecting data on you.

Because they are collecting data on you. Everyone knows that. Look at Windows Spy block lists, 100's of ip's all Microsoft domains.

If they needed all that data why even have Windows Error Report enabled on all machines in the first place, another source of data mining basically before telematry, and wasn't that the original fix to usability problems and improving Windows? Surely all they need is the error reports to fix issues. They have all the data for drivers from WU, they don't need diagnostic data for Windows.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I dont mind edge collecting data about me as the os im using is windows anyways

social engineering/doxxing eg social medias is the privacy thing i care about

too much headache to block all of telemetry coming frequently from somewhere to care about

telemetry is not the same as selling your advertising profile to 3rd parties. This is not what is happening here.
this

Gangelo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
@Moonhorse

Exactly.

I think it is pretentious for people to get crazy about telemetry and preach about privacy when they are active on FB, Twitter, and whatever social platform they are using along with Android and it's google services / location tracking. This whole privacy trend is getting tiresome to be honest. I always advocate reducing your digital footprint online and spread across services but this is getting blown out of proportions.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
@Moonhorse

Exactly.

I think it is pretentious for people to get crazy about telemetry and preach about privacy when they are active on FB, Twitter, and whatever social platform they are using along with Android and it's google services / location tracking. This whole privacy trend is getting tiresome to be honest. I always advocate reducing your digital footprint online and spread across services but this is getting blown out of proportions.
Exactly. (y) (y)

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
If they cared about privacy they would randomize/anonymize telemetry data collected. But they don't because they know there is value in fingerprinting users systems. Do they really need to know what programs/drivers/settings you have installed and enabled and for that data to be sent back? Why don't they just use statistics from WU on drivers/software to improve windows? Error reporting to fix issues with software and problems?

There is no need for system settings panel/explorer to call back to Microsoft servers. Now with WD intergrated into every install they have even more data to sell and use.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I know this is a Microsoft Edge thread, but I have to say that I found an other reason why not trust Microsoft. Apparently, Microsoft Outlook app for Android keeps connecting to Facebook to share data. Of course, there isn't a way to stop it, but you can turn off Off-Facebook activity in the privacy settings of your Facebook account. Keep in mind, even after turning off Off-Facebook Activity, the app will still send the data and regularly connect to Facebook, and you cannot do anything about it.

Think you can block it from connecting? You can, but your battery life will be worse because the app keeps connecting every few seconds until it reaches Facebook.

Screenshot-20200328-151656.png Screenshot-20200328-151714.png

Off-Facebook Activity is actually a great tool to identify which apps are traitors, which ones you really need to uninstall and stop using. And don't even try to tell me company which partnered with Facebook cares about user privacy so much it made a privacy-focused browser.

Last edited:

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I know this is a Microsoft Edge thread, but I have to say that I found an other reason why not trust Microsoft. Apparently, Microsoft Outlook app for Android keeps connecting to Facebook to share data. Of course, there isn't a way to stop it, but you can turn off Off-Facebook activity in the privacy settings of your Facebook account. Keep in mind, even after turning off Off-Facebook Activity, the app will still send the data and regularly connect to Facebook, and you cannot do anything about it.

Think you can block it from connecting? You can, but your battery life will be worse because the app keeps connecting every few seconds until it reaches Facebook.

View attachment 235640 View attachment 235641

Off-Facebook Activity is actually a great tool to identify which apps are traitors, which ones you really need to uninstall and stop using. And don't even try to tell me company which partnered with Facebook cares about user privacy so much it made a privacy-focused browser.
The scenario you describe combines Microsoft, G**gle and Faceb**k all sucking up your data and data about you, with no way for you to safeguard yourself to prevent this happening. You paid for the phone I guess, I wonder how much more we'd be expected to pay if we could use these services without them spying on us! I suspect that wouldn't work as companies like this trinity couldn't resist finding ways to keep tabs on us.

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
The scenario you describe combines Microsoft, G**gle and Faceb**k all sucking up your data and data about you, with no way for you to safeguard yourself to prevent this happening. You paid for the phone I guess, I wonder how much more we'd be expected to pay if we could use these services without them spying on us! I suspect that wouldn't work as companies like this trinity couldn't resist finding ways to keep tabs on us.
Don't get me wrong, but it's kinda understandable why a lot of apps connect to Google's servers. Most of the apps use Google's APIs, whether it is for analytics, ads or simply integrating to work with Google Play Services. What I cannot understand is that the app, which doesn't have anything to do with Facebook, nor it's connected/associated with Facebook in any way, secretly connects to it for the purpose of sharing data about users. And that there isn't an option which would allow users to stop that, even those who don't use Facebook's services.

It's a great app and I'll still use it because I don't really have a choice. There aren't good enough alternatives to Outlook out there; some have ads, some are even worse when it comes to privacy, some have terrible interface and are lacking of some features.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Don't get me wrong, but it's kinda understandable why a lot of apps connect to Google's servers. Most of the apps use Google's APIs, whether it is for analytics, ads or simply integrating to work with Google Play Services. What I cannot understand is that the app, which doesn't have anything to do with Facebook, nor it's connected/associated with Facebook in any way, secretly connects to it for the purpose of sharing data about users. And that there isn't an option which would allow users to stop that, even those who don't use Facebook's services.

It's a great app and I'll still use it because I don't really have a choice. There aren't good enough alternatives to Outlook out there; some have ads, some are even worse when it comes to privacy, some have terrible interface and are lacking of some features.
I completely understand where you're coming from. Unfortunately the internet as we know it might collapse if we removed all of the elements of it that Google provide(some may say interfere in). Personally, I'd quite like to see it attempted though:sneaky:

As for Faceb**k, its who they are and what they're all about. If users stopped using Faceb**k itself and its other services in protest about what they do and how that is done; they might change their ways. Until some internet users understand that the internet is not Faceb**k, or G**gle its not likely to happen. The issue that you are complaining about, rightly so IMHO, is plain wrong. It shouldn't be happening and it seems like this is similar to how their insidious 'Like' button appears on so many websites that have no direct connection to Faceb**k, unless its possibly a financial one.

As a lot of people have much more time on their hands currently, might it not be a good time to start the revolution now? That is a digital revolution that cleans up the internet. For the time being, at least, we have access to the internet.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
The scenario you describe combines Microsoft, G**gle and Faceb**k all sucking up your data and data about you, with no way for you to safeguard yourself to prevent this happening.

It's widespread. I have a Samsung TV (watched maybe 3 hours/day, "always-on" disabled), and Adguard Home reports...
  • 246,000 DNS Queries (7-day)
  • 177,000 Blocked by filters
Of those blocked requests, 134,000 come from wwwDOTsamsungrmDOTnet... over 50% of my total DNS queries.

Despite our blocking, I'd guess that there are alternate pathways to purloin "our data" that we either haven't yet discovered or that are beyond our reach.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
It's widespread. I have a Samsung TV (watched maybe 3 hours/day, "always-on" disabled), and Adguard Home reports...
  • 246,000 DNS Queries (7-day)
  • 177,000 Blocked by filters
Of those blocked requests, 134,000 come from wwwDOTsamsungrmDOTnet... over 50% of my total DNS queries.

Despite our blocking, I'd guess that there are alternate pathways to purloin "our data" that we either haven't yet discovered or that are beyond our reach.
I tried to explain to friends who have a Samsung TV connected to the internet what 'Smart' meant. They are not very tech or internet savvy. I explained that it was smart in that they had lots of nice new options compared to an old 'dumb' TV, but that 'smart' meant that they'd get things like ads tailored to their viewing habits in return. That as the TV was reporting back that he was staying up late to watch old rock and blues programmes that she might find herself being suggested similar programs, with ads that would fit in with that profile. They said that they understood. A while later she was complaining that she kept getting suggestions for blues gigs in their area. He was complaining that his Samsung phone was showing ads for things that she'd searched for, they have no computers and only the one smart phone. I'll persevere.

The point that I want to make here is that I probably lead a fairly sheltered life due to all of the steps I've taken to avoid being profiled by ad companies and device manufacturers, compared to people who have no idea how to deal with any of this. Its bad enough for me as it is and hopefully I come across here as slightly sane, look out if all of my telemety and ad avoidance schemes crash!

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
The point that I want to make here is that I probably lead a fairly sheltered life due to all of the steps I've taken to avoid being profiled by ad companies and device manufacturers, compared to people who have no idea how to deal with any of this.
Tailored ADs are not that bad overall. I rather see ADs related to my interests, than some nonsense. I subscribed to mastercard rewards, just for fun, it tracks all card payments, not just online. I bought something in a local shop and when I came home, Facebook AD showed it to me. That was fast. 😅

DDE_Server

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017

install Adgaurd it is very effective in blocking this telemetry and save data (so it is being removed fro google play.need to download it from official site and enable to install outside play store until you install it then disable it again).personally it trusting it and it block a lot of non useful connection also review your permissions for these apps.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-03-29-17-36-24-94_a93965f46c4a4b0ed1be737bdf2bc8fc.png
    Screenshot_2020-03-29-17-36-24-94_a93965f46c4a4b0ed1be737bdf2bc8fc.png
    138.4 KB · Views: 150

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I tried to explain to friends who have a Samsung TV connected to the internet what 'Smart' meant. They are not very tech or internet savvy. I explained that it was smart in that they had lots of nice new options compared to an old 'dumb' TV, but that 'smart' meant that they'd get things like ads tailored to their viewing habits in return. That as the TV was reporting back that he was staying up late to watch old rock and blues programmes that she might find herself being suggested similar programs, with ads that would fit in with that profile. They said that they understood. A while later she was complaining that she kept getting suggestions for blues gigs in their area. He was complaining that his Samsung phone was showing ads for things that she'd searched for, they have no computers and only the one smart phone. I'll persevere.

The point that I want to make here is that I probably lead a fairly sheltered life due to all of the steps I've taken to avoid being profiled by ad companies and device manufacturers, compared to people who have no idea how to deal with any of this. Its bad enough for me as it is and hopefully I come across here as slightly sane, look out if all of my telemety and ad avoidance schemes crash!
I have new LG Smart TV AI (bought in December of 2019) and during initial setup, I have turned off everything I can. From AI, data collection to personalized ads. I don't even know if TV has ads because I've never seen one. 😁

Just set up NextDNS on TV to see where it connects. It connects to 7 different LG's addresses, most of them are ad servers (they have "ad" in domain).
install Adgaurd it is very effective in blocking this telemetry and save data (so it is being removed fro google play.need to download it from official site and enable to install outside play store until you install it then disable it again).personally it trusting it and it block a lot of non useful connection also review your permissions for these apps.
These are the screenshots from AdGuard. I have it installed and it's awesome. Easily the best smartphone app I have installed.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.