Resident Antivirus/Antimalware program for external HDD's

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
How do I protect my external hard drive files when I insert it into other computers? What's the best resident antivirus/antimalware program that can help me with this?

Last edited:

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
I mean an antivirus/antimalware that runs within the external HDD, not on one's system.
Sorry if I didn't make it clear before.

Can't even imagine something like this, never heard of something like this. Don't even think it's doable, or maybe it is but don't think it will ever be reliable...

Reactions: frogboy

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Never heard of something like this. I guess the best thing you could do is encrypt the drive, which would prevent the host from accessing it on the system you plug it in till you enter a password.

WD Essentials doesn't provide encryption.

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
Then I don't know what I can suggest you. An external hard drive is the same as a USB Flash Drive, you should never connect it to a computer you don't trust.

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
I don't completely understand what you mean. You say that it needs to run within HDD. That is not possible. If you mean something like a portable version of an antivirus, you still need to run and load it in the memory of the computer where the HDD or USB is plugged in and before you can do that a possible malware on that host pc can already infect your files in the meantime right after pluggin in the disk or usb.
There are tools that you can run on the pc itself to detect possible malware like Panda USB Vaccine and that will disable the autorun.
You can always disable the writing to usb on that pc too: look here
The most waterproof and only real solution I see for what you want to achieve will be encryting the drive I guess like others already suggested.
Just avoid plugin a disk or Usb in a public computer, unless you really can't do it in any other way.

Reactions: mal1

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Never heard of something like this. I guess the best thing you could do is encrypt the drive, which would prevent the host from accessing it on the system you plug it in till you enter a password.
You mean encryption can prevent a malware infection? If it can then there's no need of AV/AM software, right?

Also, if the malware screws up the encryption (although not being able to break the password-protected drive) then I think you'll not be able to decrypt the drive.

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Honestly the first defense is to turn off the autoplay, so that any drive attacks will not affect by any device when insert.

You can lock down by using a tool like USB Protection by Cholaware where treat the flashdrive/external HDD as read-only.

Antivirus/Anti-malware will be the last option to clean any remnants.

Reactions: kev216

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I mean an antivirus/antimalware that runs within the external HDD, not on one's system.
Sorry if I didn't make it clear before.
I think you need to select an AV which can autoscans your USB HDD upon insertion. Not many AVs does that.

BD can autoscan when you insert an USB drive. Others may ask for permission to scan, some with a message pop up saying your drive is protected but without scanning etc.

D

Deleted member 178

How do I protect my external hard drive files when I insert it into other computers? What's the best resident antivirus/antimalware program that can help me with this?
This is not possible , a software need an OS to run on it. ext-HDD don't have any OS on them.

the only way to protect an external drive is:

1- encryption
2- block execution of program inside it
3- deny writes of datas in it.

Reactions: kev216

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Consider this scenario. I have many movies and T.V series on my hard drive, and I usually share them with my friends. So what are the protection measures that I should consider before doing this, because I can't be really sure what happens next.

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
You can lock down by using a tool like USB Protection by Cholaware where treat the flashdrive/external HDD as read-only.

This looks good. :)

This is not possible , a software need an OS to run on it. ext-HDD don't have any OS on them.

the only way to protect an external drive is:

1- encryption
2- block execution of program inside it
3- deny writes of datas in it.

1. It doesn't support encryption
2,3. How do I do this?

Does Jamescv7 suggestion above help me with this?

D

Deleted member 178

Consider this scenario. I have many movies and T.V series on my hard drive, and I usually share them with my friends. So what are the protection measures that I should consider before doing this, because I can't be really sure what happens next.
Depend what you want to do, you want deny access to the drive? not possible unless the drive has a physical switch.

2,3. How do I do this?
2 & 3- can only done from your system.
once connected to someone else computer, they have full access to it.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
You can put what you want to share with your friends in a separate folder and encrypt the rest. Not necessary to encrypt the whole drive

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
You can put what you want to share with your friends in a separate folder and encrypt the rest. Not necessary to encrypt the whole drive

Encrypt the rest? Like how? Zip and password protect?

larry goes to church

Level 3
Verified
Mar 10, 2017
Unless there is an operating system running on the HDD how would the program execute.. think about it.

I haven't come across anything in my IT Career that does this thus far.
You best bet is to connect your device to the machine you use and then scan it.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Encrypt the rest? Like how? Zip and password protect?
Encrypt the rest of the folders/files using any suitable folder/file encryption software

Zipping might now work depending on how big is your drive.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.