Serious Discussion restricting apps

tylerz

Thread author
Feb 25, 2024
is there a program that stops all apps on win 11 from receiving/transmitting any data in the background unless it's being used and can then ask permission?

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Yes, there are third-party programs available that can help you restrict apps on Windows 11 from receiving or transmitting data in the background. One popular option is a firewall software that allows you to control the network traffic of individual applications.

Firewall software like GlassWire, ZoneAlarm, or Comodo Firewall can help you monitor and manage the network activity of your apps. These firewalls can block incoming and outgoing connections for specific applications, giving you more control over which apps can access the internet.

Additionally, you can also use built-in Windows features to manage app permissions. In Windows 11, you can go to Settings > Privacy & security > App permissions to customize which apps have access to your camera, microphone, location, and other sensitive data.

While these tools can help you restrict app data usage, keep in mind that some system processes may still require internet access for proper functioning. It's essential to carefully review and understand the permissions you are granting to ensure that your system operates smoothly while maintaining your privacy and security.

tylerz

Thread author
Feb 25, 2024
You can do this with DrWeb firewall, but the amount of alerts you will receive will be overwhelming.

Same can be done with Sphinx Software Windows 10\11 Firewall Control with the same overwhelming number of firewall alerts.

The difference between the above firewalls and others is that they filter ANY network stack traffic - whether it is Windows core processes, Universal Windows Apps, or third party apps. Some firewalls do not filter Windows core process or UWP network traffic.

Without creating permanent firewall allow rules, you will literally have to reply to hundreds, if not thousands, of firewall alerts per day.
Thanks I'll take a look at it. I went down the route of settings/pick a program/set the rule etc but it's just time consuming. I don't care what windows does I just want a list of apps I've installed and a toggle for each one.

• Love
Reactions: jceon

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.