Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Your favourite big box retailer or discount warehouse will soon be able to track your movements via your smartphone. Meet the next big thing in analytics: You.

Source : Direct Link

Retailer: "Install OUR app for the latest deals, offers and exclusive discounts"

User: OK, this sounds too good to be true! -Installs App-

Retailer: That's it. Go on install and share our app. We're tracking you. -evil grin-

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I heard a story on this subject about 10 years ago.

Now, when all of us are starving due to high food prices and currency devaluations via economic collapse, we can track down the person that is stealing food during the worldwide food crisis and cut his head off, or toss him/her into an oven. At least that is what I thought the end plan would be as our Tzar might see it. Take the mark of the bar code and be spared, and buy, sell and trade without fear of being executed.

FYI: All UPC symbols that are on products have a symbol for the number "6" at the beginning, middle and end of the bar codes. It consists of two skinny vertical lines. There is one other mark for "6" and it is a fat vertical beside a skinny vertical. One symbol is for the left of the barcode and one is for the right side of the middle "6".

me_barcode.png

UPCIL.GIF

UPCASymbol.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Product_Code

The UPC-A barcode is an optical pattern of bars and spaces that format and encode the UPC digit string. Each digit is represented by a unique pattern of two bars and two spaces. The bars and spaces are variable width; they may be 1, 2, 3, or 4 units (modules) wide. The total width for a digit is always 7 modules. To represent the 12 digits of the UPC-A code requires a total of 7×12 = 84 modules.

A complete UPC-A includes 95 modules: the 84 modules for the digits (L and R) combined with 11 modules for the start, middle, and end (S, M, and E) patterns. The S and E patterns are 3 modules wide and use the pattern bar-space-bar; each bar and space is one module wide. The M pattern is 5 modules wide and uses the pattern space-bar-space-bar-space; each bar and space is one module wide. In addition, a UPC symbol requires a quiet zone (additional space modules) before the S pattern and another quiet zone after the E pattern.

Numbers on the right side of the middle guard bars are optically the inverse of the numbers to the left. In other words, while a number on the left side of the UPC will be made up of black bars and white spaces, the same number on the right side would be indicated by the inverse (what was black on the left is now white and what was white is now black). This inversion enables the bar code to be scanned from left-to-right or right-to-left. Left-side digits consist of an even number of white spaces and an odd number of black bars. Right side digits are the opposite. Using this difference, the scanning software knows if it read the code the correct way or upside down. In the illustration above, the "4" digit (shown in detail) is bar × 1, space × 1, bar × 3, space × 2. If the "4" digit were on the left hand side it would be space × 1, bar × 1, space × 3, bar × 2.

barcode666.jpg

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I guess that what I heard was to do with tracking individual stolen items via GPS as far as the thief roams.
It is all heading to the same end, which is to track all of us, all the time, just in case we might be a problem to those watching and tracking us. Then we may be fined, harassed, or taxed. Those for which it is PC to NOT "profile" will obviously be given a free pass.

Here is what I read about: http://www.catchathiefgps.com/Articles/tracking-stolen-goods-with-catchathiefgps-locator.aspx

It will help catch criminals. It is ironic that the general governments will soon be the criminals for using this stuff against everyone for every ulterior agenda under the sun, not just thieving punks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.