Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Gnosis said:
Some might call me ***** and "paranoid" for tweaking an abandonware behavior blocker like Threatfire, but maybe after I avoid infection with it that signature based security misses I will no be so paranoid after all.

Don't worry, it does only removed updates but the core BB component have still a vital which does prevent suspicious actions.

I assuming few users are still using that product.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Well said. Very few, IF ANY. LOL

I really do like it though, and I have enjoyed tweaking it. I am an XP dinosaur, so it fits my style.
Set to Level 5 without the advanced tweaks makes a pretty mean defense weapon so long as one is willing to train it (no whitelist).

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Gnosis said:
Well said. Very few, IF ANY. LOL

I really do like it though, and I have enjoyed tweaking it. I am an XP dinosaur, so it fits my style.
Set to Level 5 without the advanced tweaks makes a pretty mean defense weapon so long as one is willing to train it (no whitelist).

Of coarse you do know since it is no longer getting updates, it could be vulnerable to new bypass methods used by advanced malicious files.

It is sad that Threatfire and PC Tools Firewall are no more, they were their best products.

Thanks.:D

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Norton and Symantec are the same company, however Norton is often being considered as the home user grade software where Symantec is being regarded as industrial grade software.

Personally i believe that people should give a bit of credit to Symantec as they do provide business security packages who perform very well.
I for one was one of those persons who would avoid Norton or Symantec, because of its resource hogging programs and average protection.
But this was years ago when the whole security industry was basically still in it baby phase.
Nowadays Norton does provide very well rounded packages to home users and Symantec is providing very well rounded security products to business users.

And buying / destroying other brands to add specific features to their own packages is a thing that might come across as nice but fact is that the past years the whole Symantec industry has shown that it knows exactly how to put a good product on the market which as a bonus works flawless and does protect you.

Which cannot always be said about the competition.
So imo if they wanna destroy a average product like PC Tools then so be it, if this benefits the end product that might incorporate some useful features that PC Tools did have.

Today in the industry there are only a few seriously good security vendors who's packages work well, but there are hundreds of packages out there who just do not make the cut.
And Symantec happens to be one of those companies that really did step up to the plate.

I mean look what they have done to Sygate it was good but generally average in terms of protection, they bought it, destroyed it then rebuild it and look what a good module it has become in their Norton 360, Norton Internet Security and Symantec Endpoint Protection.
And on top of that virtually every test done by the most prestigious testing labs rate it as rocksolid.

So i do not have a problem with companies buying others with the aim to strip them, because you and me are benefiting from it in the end.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Of coarse you do know since it is no longer getting updates, it could be vulnerable to new bypass methods used by advanced malicious files.

Sure. It has certainly crossed my mind. I am always sandboxed though.

So i do not have a problem with companies buying others with the aim to strip them, because you and me are benefiting from it in the end.

I agree for the most part.
With regards to your other points: Norton did have serious issues a few years back, but they did get it together it seems.

Zurchiboy

Verified
Apr 10, 2013
Norton used to be resource-hungry back in 2009 and before. now it is light other than a buggy release in version 20. but they have fixed a lot of the bugs now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.