Returning travellers made to hand over phones and passcodes to Australian Border Force

enaph

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
A man who was forced to hand over his phone and passcode to Australian Border Force after returning to Sydney from holiday has labelled the tactic “an absolute gross violation of privacy”, as tech advocates call for transparency and stronger privacy protections for people’s devices as they enter the country.

Software developer James and his partner returned from a 10-day holiday in Fiji earlier this month and were stopped by border force officials at Sydney airport. They were taken aside, and after emptying their suitcases, an official asked them to write their phone passcodes on a piece of paper, before taking their phones into another room.

It was half an hour before their phones were returned, and they were allowed to leave. James initially posted about his ordeal on Reddit.

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
Last time I went to New Zealand we were warned we may have to unlock our phones, this was just pre-covid, there was a potential fine if we refused, I didn't have to but notices were there at the airports both Auckland & Wellington & as I remember Rarotonga?

NZ

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
I can't find the source atm but I remember an article where they suggested something like: "If your forced to give away your phone and they went out of sight with it consider it compromised and buy a new one".

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
I can't find the source atm but I remember an article where they suggested something like: "If your forced to give away your phone and they went out of sight with it consider it compromised and buy a new one".
If they want they don't need the physical confiscation to compromise a phone (remember Pegasus?). No escape from Five Eyes.

Reactions: Venustus

enaph

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
That's the reason, why I only take old Nokia "dumb phone" with me if I travel outside the EU.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.