App Review Review Collection (BitDefender, Dr.Web, Emsisoft)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

What's your favorite of this test set?

• Total voters

FrankS

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 22, 2015
Hey there, I tested some Antivirus-Solutions which were running together with HitmanPro.Alert. Have fun! :)
Facts to the tests:
Virtualization Software: Oracle VM VirtualBox
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64 Anniversary (Version 1607)
Sample-Set: 140 Samples, consisting of ransomware, self-extractors, windows/java script files and some ad-/riskware.
HitmanPro.Alert: Custom Setup - I enabled the BadUSB, which was disabled by default
Testing method: I extracted the malware samples to the desktop on running real time-protection of the antivirus-solution. After detecting and deleting by the anti-virus I scanned it manually by using the context-scan. After checking the detection-ratio I executed the rest of samples for checking the realtime-protection. Finally I scanned the system with HitmanPro and Zemana AntiMalware for checking if there are any rests of malware in the system folders.

BitDefender Antivirus Plus 2016 + HMP.Alert

Detection Ratio (On-Demand and On-Access): 139*/140 - 99,3% (136 d, 2 b, 1 b and d)
HitmanPro.Alert (not detected/blocked by BitDefender): 0
Total blocked (BD + HMP.Alert): 139/140 - 99,3%

HitmanPro + Zemana Scanning Result after Realtime-Check: Clean
Any picture, text or excel document infected/encrypted: No
Was the system usable after testing (reboot)?: Yes
Attempts to repair the system: Not needed
Would I recommend it?: Yes, a solid protection and small resource consumption
BitDefender Setup: Custom
Disabled the Security Widget (shown on Desktop)
Disabled the autopilot mode
Enabled Archive Scanning at On-Access
Changed the Action to "Move files to quarantine"
Enabled the Ransomware Protection (why the hell it's disabled on default?)

Dr.Web Antivirus 11 + HMP.Alert

Detection Ratio (On-Demand and On-Access): 112*/140 - 80,0% (110 d, 2 b)
HitmanPro.Alert (not detected/blocked by Dr.Web): 1
Total blocked (Dr.Web + HMP.Alert): 113/140 - 80,7%
HitmanPro + Zemana Scanning Result after executing: Infected (ran in safe mode)
Was the system usable after testing (reboot)?: No - One of these executed Samples seems to be able to restart my computer without any Block by Dr.Web or HitmanPro.Alert. After restarting the System, my Logon Screen was frozen. So I was unable to login.
Attempts to repair the system:
Tried to fix the Windows MBR by using the Windows Installation disc and command prompt - failed
Tried to clean the system by using HitmanPro and Emsisoft Emergency Kit in Windows Safe Mode - cleaned but was still frozen after restart
Checked the Autorun folder on Windows Registry - no unusual entries
Would I recommend it?: No - It seems to me that Dr.Web's real time protection is not strong enough.
Well, I used Dr.Web + HitmanPro.Alert + HitmanPro + Zemana. Maybe the frozen logon screen after rebooting could also be an compatibility issue. But after installing Dr.Web it also needed a restart of the system and there was everything fine. No issues and no frozen screens. So my feeling is that the frozen login screen came from a malware attack.
Dr.Web Setup: Custom
Enabled the Scanning of installation packages on SplDer Guard
Set the action for all kinds of threats to "Delete"

Emsisoft Anti-Malware 11 + HMP.Alert

Detection Ratio (On-Demand and On-Access): 137*/140 - 97,9% (136 d, 1 b and d)
HitmanPro.Alert (not detected/blocked by Emsisoft): 1
Total blocked (EAM + HMP.Alert): 138/140 - 98,6%
HitmanPro + Zemana Scanning Result after executing: Clean System folders. Zemana detected 1 Sample in Samples folder by Heuristics. But maybe it's a false positive (0 detections on Virustotal)
Was the system usable after testing (reboot)?: Yes
Attempts to repair the system: Not needed
Would I recommend it?: Yes, a solid protection and small resource consumption

Emsisoft Setup: Custom
Enabled Detection of PUP
Changed the action for Privacy risks to "Block and notify"
Changed the action for PUP detections to "Quarantine with notification"

*1 file seems to be a false positive or for an older version of ms word (.rtf-file)
d=deleted, b=blocked

Last edited:

Darlene

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Aug 14, 2015
Thank you! Really happy to see Emsisoft's great performance. I would like to make a request. Can you test the behavior blocking of bitdefender (2017) and Emsisoft? Disable access-scanning, run some 20-30 zero day malware samples manually. Like this:
Capture.PNG

FrankS

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 22, 2015
Thank you! Really happy to see Emsisoft's great performance. I would like to make a request. Can you test the behavior blocking of bitdefender (2017) and Emsisoft? Disable access-scanning, run some 20-30 zero day malware samples manually. Like this:
Yes I will do after finishing this test round.

Great job @FrankS :)
If you have time I have also a request, can you test ESET + HMPA ?
Avast, AVG, Avira, ESET, Kaspersky, Windows Defender will follow.

D

Deleted member 2913

How does ransomware protection of Bitdefender works?

I mean I see most ransomware protection by security software by default protects "My Pictures" & "My Documents" folders And for users like me such default ransomware protection is not of use as I keep everything personal in separate partition. So to get ransomware protection, users have to manually add the folders with personal stuffs in the ransomware protection module.

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.