Review: System Mechanic - robust PC fixing tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
System Mechanic is one of many applications that allow you to perform a variety of maintenance tasks on your Windows PC to keep it running healthily and as fast as possible. Currently at version 10.5 and self-proclaimed as the “most advanced approach to maximum PC performance”, today we’re putting the numerous claims of iolo technologies to the test to see just how much performance you can gain from using the software.

We were provided our copy of System Mechanic 10.5 by iolo themselves, and along with it we were provided a PDF that contained everything System Mechanic claims to do – a lot of which we will be tackling head-on later. System Mechanic currently retails for US$39.95 for a one-year service license, and this will of course play some part in how well the software rates.

read more

D

Deleted member 178

It was my first cleaning software when i was a beginner and it screwed my system, no thanks ^^

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I saw this product when I went a store before, and I cannot comment since I never use this before. Well MalwareTips have a sponsor from Iolo for the giveaway.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
It was my first cleaning software when i was a beginner and it screwed my system, no thanks ^^

I hate to say anything bad about a software but with this one I will make an exception.
System Mechanic is one of the most dangerous tweaking/system maintenance tools that I ever came across.

Even the most recent version is still very dangerous. It is poorly coded, removes important registry keys needed by Windows, disables important Windows Services, changes user settings which makes it difficult to use Windows, eats up system resources worse than Norton 2002, the Antivirus is full of false positives and has a very low detection rate, the restore feature doesn't always work correctly and the list goes on and on......

This is one product to completely avoid other products by iolo.com are just as bad.

Just read the replies to the article Neowin.net and WOT.

Thanks.:D

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Any software of this type can be dangerous if used incorrectly. There is only so much you can do to protect a user from themselves.

I used System Mechanic for years and liked it quite a bit. Never had any issues. :)

gery79

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
guys i hate to bash software but SM deserves it. heavy bloated and most important it may jumble your computer like mud . It is really so badly screwed and it will as well destroy your nerves Just use CCleaner and windows tools and you will be fine

K__M

Jun 14, 2011
umbrapolaris said:

Did the same to mine, even broke my system restore!

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
HeffeD said:
Any software of this type can be dangerous if used incorrectly. There is only so much you can do to protect a user from themselves.

I used System Mechanic for years and liked it quite a bit. Never had any issues. :)

You must be one of the lucky users. It is true that software like these can be dangerous, but the responsibility should be up to the software vendor for taking precautionary measures to make sure it doesn't destroy a system under the hands of a novice user. In my case, I'm an expert user and it still destroyed my system and I don't see how you could use it incorrectly. If it could be used incorrectly, then the vendor needs to fix that problem. When you buy a software you expect it to do its job without destroying your system.
Since the vast majority of users are novice, you can't blame them for incorrectly using a software that they paid money for. That software should have fail safes to keep it from causing errors and problems.

By the way there is another program just as bad called Fit-It Utilities, it will fix Windows alright, fix it where it will never run again.

Thanks.:D

I

illumination

umbrapolaris said:

I have not tried this software, but had a similar experience with Fix It Utilities 9, when i first started out, it crippled my machine, bringing it to it's knees.. Needless to say, I tend to stay away from these type of utilities now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.