Richard Fielder's config June 2015

mike0921

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 26, 2015
This desktop is about ten years old and belonged to an associates late wife. I have described it exactly as it is currently. I have no idea when the infection occurred or even if it is infected... which explains the "less than one month" above. It is behaving like it is though. IE9, which I have stopped using as I said above, was acting like it was - redirecting, etc., Chrome is doing even worse, - the OS is hanging and is real slow, takes forever to do anything, etc.... so unless this ten year old motherboard needs replacing, it is infected. Cheaper to assume it is and attack that then to replace the MB first, ey? More fun too.

I obtained a Computer Information Management degree in the 80's, more to pursue a "hobby" interest rather than a career tool but it came in extremely handy in my businesses and when I moved over into consulting small businesses, built about 30 PC's in the 90's for family, friends and neighbors. In the next decade, I started repairing and doing malware removal for the same groups. Over about three years I helped out in repairing some 45 or so instances of infected machines. Though I used several forums and their experts, learning from their procedures and using their guys to analyze logs... I had decided to become certified and was accepted at a school but life got in the way and I wound up on a path that prevented me from pursuing it.

It has always been an interest of mine and I enjoyed the process and satisfaction from solving folk's and my issues when they happened. Now life is bringing the fun back to me with this machine, it is for a housemate who gave it to me for agreeing to manage his finances. My old Compaq laptop just died and I haven't replaced it yet. I haven't had a current machine and its technology for about four years.... I haven't thought of malware removal for about ten years so the rust is everywhere in my mind! So, I need to hear the latest and the best of the software, howto's etc... If I hadn't taken such an extended time from this interest I would have probably listed myself as Advanced up above in "Computer Knowledge.

So, thanks right now. I know how helpful folks are at malware removal sites and I know how hard and the number of hours they put in. I am so grateful when I work with others who enjoy what they are doing and are good at it as well. I made several friends but, again, life came along and the friendships suffered for lack of communication. I am still a member at BleeepingComputer, Malwaremoval, Remove-Malware and MajorGeeks sites. But I thought I would take this opportunity to become acquainted with this site. I learned something good from everywhere and it makes me more confident. It also satisfies my ADHD symptoms. AAnndd, I met several of the same guys at different sites or read of their reputations.

So, thanks again, I'm going to enjoy this!

Last edited:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Do you have UAC enabled? If not I would enable it
I might consider replacing MSE with a free Antivirus such as Avast,Avira,Panda,Bitdefender and continue using Windows Firewall
Have you scanned the PC for infections ? If not use a free AV to scan or a combination of on demand scanners
Consider adding at least two or three on demand scanners such as Malwarebytes Antimalware,ESET Online Scanner,Hitman Pro,Emsisoft Emergency Kit.These are not running in real time and have no impact on your system except when scanning
Consider CCleaner or Privazer if not already installed
I would consider some type of back up solution once you are sure your PC is infection free
I would also suggest adding a second Browser such as Firefox
Consider uBlock & HTTPS Everywhere in Chrome and also Firefox if you ever consider using the browser

mike0921

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 26, 2015
Thanks for the tips! To all of you... there wasn't even AV on here when I first sat down with it... I put MSE on it first thing. What you all have suggested is pretty much what I have learned to do in the past. As for your suggestions:
Yes, on UAC
I started using MSE a couple of years ago. I had read something about having some of its weaknesses addressed and that it tested competitively. I hadn't questioned it since. Because of your advice I went and did so. Geez, thanx much. I will switch to your suggestion.
I will be scanning this thing this afternoon. I had said I wasn't going to use it until it was fixed, but I wanted to hear from you.
I have always used MBAM. I'll add an additional one as you suggest.
Emergency Kit _ Emisoft's - or is there something better or as a supplement to it?
CCleaner, like MBAM is a standard. I am not familiar with Privazer, I'll look into it.
Yes, on the backup solution. This is my greatest weakness... :) Thanks for the tip on Macrium Reflect and Aomei Backupper. That was my very next question!
Has IE gone the way of MSE? I have never used Firefox for long. I'm getting old and the learning curves seem to be getting harder... will make a greater effort here.
I will use uBlock or HTTPS everywhere on Chrome starting now. When I get to Firefox, I will there also.
And I have been a Sandboxie fan for awhile. But, I was under the impression that Chrome operated Sandboxed.... I'll have to look into this. What about Firefox and it operating sandboxed?

So, now off to the races! I'm going over to check on the rest of the replies here and then I'll see you later with a clean machine!

Yes????

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
@Richard Fielder have you checked your inbox ? @Jack responded and asked what you want your Username changed to.

Ashampoo_Snap_2015.06.27_17h27m44s_001_.png

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Richard Fielder: Emsisoft Emergency Kit is fine, other scanners can be place to your USB like ESET Online Scanner and 9-Lab Removal Tool as for emergency purpose.

Reactions: mike0921

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.