ricliz23's configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricliz23

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 18, 2017
Hello, I hope I got the link right for my belarc advisor page of specs.

Belarc Advisor

Not sure why it said real time scanning is off, but I will ask in the 360 Qihoo forum. Thanks.

Reactions: DracusNarcrym

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
Hi welcome to MT and thanks for sharing your fig with us , I do have a few suggestions though : upgrade your operaing system to win 7 , 8 or 10 because xp is dead and VERY unsafe to use. get a free backup solution like macrium reflect free or aomei backupper standard and back up your valuable data this is the most important rule in online security! get some more on demand scanners like zemana anti malware free , hitman pro or emsisoft emergency kit. disable traficlight or 360 webshield one of them is more than enough! enabeling both will on cause clashing and slowdown in webbrowsing speed , remember a car has one steering wheel as well :)

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Definitely upgrade to at least Windows 7. You should at the bare minimum have an AV like Avast or Voodoosheild. (If they are supported anymore.)

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
If your hardware supported it, I would have recommended installing at least Windows 7, as Windows XP is redundant in every technologic way possible.
Unfortunately, however, your hardware may not be powerful enough for it. You could still try for Windows 7 Starter, though. It may be light enough for your hardware.

Now, I'm not sure if you are comfortable with absolute no protection measure other than, hopefully, common sense, but you could at least use some sort of system imaging software: In case your system gets infected, you can use the latest safe backup image of your system, so that you can restore your system to its exact state, as it was when you created that system image.
I recommend Macrium Reflect Free for this task.

If you want to try out a security application, you could start with Avast Free Antivirus.

Thanks for sharing your config with us. :p

ricliz23

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 18, 2017
Thanks all for the suggestions, as for upgrading I will at the last minute when this machine gives up the ghost, as I cannot afford it at this time. :)

1. As for antivirus I tried avast at one time and i did not like it as it kept bugging me all the time!

2. 360TSE is in real time as far as I know, I have both the avira and bitdefender engines enabled. I do not know why belarc said it is turned off as it will notify me if I download something unknown or malicious.

3. For more scanners, will other scanners play nicely with malwarebytes and 360tse? I scan at least twice a week with mbam and daily with 360. I had spywareblaster installed but 360 kept wanting to quarantine it, so I uninstalled it. And I do occasionally run ESET online scanner just to check my system.

4. Backup: I tried aeomi and could not get it to work, then I tried driveimage xl and I could not get that to work as I tried to do the whole drive and there were discrepancies in the drive partition size, it was either too large are too small. Will attempt again here when I get some time. What I will probably do is just install my other drive and install xp on it and all the updates and then if something happens I can just slip the drive in. :)

5. I do not have 360 webshield installed, I had read that the antivirus's internet scanners were not really necessary. I have trafficlight installed since firefox does not recognize WOT anymore, I used wot for years.

6. I generally do a clean install once a year, as I sometimes get so involved deleting things that I screw up the system, this last time I screwed up my internet connection somehow and there was something blocking me from opening my firewall, so I ran tdss killer and it was ok, but my connection was still screwed up so I took several hours and just did a clean install. :) I am pretty good generally at not getting into strange websites and also surf responsibly. I was using 360 sandbox for awhile but it really made the browser sluggish and as there are generally lots of things that need to be downloaded as my boyfriend uses this same pc and he downloads all his wiring diagrams and stuff so I just went back to being careful, I do not bank online. :)

7. So basicallly, I am stuck for the time being with xp and 360 as I know that they still support 32bit xp.

Again, thanks for the suggestions. :)

Reactions: DracusNarcrym

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
You seem to be unable to change anything here. Maybe you can give some kind of Linux a try if you have time or you don't need Windows specifically.
You can start with the popular, good and relatively easy ones like Ubuntu, Linux Mint and Fedora. Ubuntu, I believe still has the Gnome fallback if it's heavy and Linux Mint has the MATE or XFCE versions. You can also use forks of them with lighter DE's. I wouldn't recommend non-Gnome Fedora if you're new.
Benefits are it's much less targeted and you have a supported OS that will allow you to use and get updated on still new technologies although these technologies will probably be different from Windows. Cons are the learning curve and extra time to install, difference in software and shorter and therefore less consistent lifespans of the distros. I'd recommend dedoimedo.com on guides on installing. You can also pick and choose based on that as well.
Maybe just maybe you can change your fate and get rid of that risky tag. Just remember, it's a different world out there yet it's oddly the same. Also, just remember to have a backup in case you fail although it seems you already do.
Also Noscript with allow https on https websites is quite usable.

Last edited:

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Risky indeed. 2 on-demand and zero real-time.

ricliz23

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 18, 2017
Zero real time?? I have ran the EICAR file and 360 caught it proving realtime scanning????

Yes, I would like to try linux, but as I am not the only one using this pc, it will have to take some effort to convince the other user to try, he is more set in his ways than I am. :)

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Zero real time?? I have ran the EICAR file and 360 caught it proving realtime scanning????

Yes, I would like to try linux, but as I am not the only one using this pc, it will have to take some effort to convince the other user to try, he is more set in his ways than I am. :)
I think you have to edit your config, I read "realtime malware protection: none"

ricliz23

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 18, 2017
You read the config correctly as I have a realtime antivirus, but not a realtime malware scanner. I am not sure if 360TSE is considered to scan for malware also?

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
You read the config correctly as I have a realtime antivirus, but not a realtime malware scanner. I am not sure if 360TSE is considered to scan for malware also?
Qihoo 360 TSE is a complete antivirus with full realtime protection.

ricliz23

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 18, 2017
Okay then I will go edit my config thread, :)

And I have just downloaded Linux mint, will try on two other computers before I go with this one :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.