RigorMortis Config

R

RigorMortis

Thread author
Hello again MalwareTips! I was a member on here a few years back but forgot my login details and couldn't be bothered to make a new one. I would say I have a lot of knowledge about computers and security. The last few years I have been running free antivirus software but now I feel like getting a paid version instead. What would you guys recommend me to buy? I mostly play games and browse the web on my PC. The only paid versions of security software I have really used is ESET Smart Security and Norton Internet Security, maybe 2-3 years ago? I liked Norton best, and that was mostly because of its awesome (in my opinion) Download insight. How lightweight the software is shouldn't matter since I have a pretty good PC, i5-4690K, 8GB Ram.
I don't want to spend too much money on a piece of software so if there is any good deals out there please post them.

R

RigorMortis

Thread author
Why did you think that your Computer Knowledge as an Expert ? and

I can suggest HTTPS Everyhwere to your browser and CCleaner Free for cleaning your PC's junk files.

Haha, I wouldn't call me an expert. I thought I chose Advanced.

Your config is fine, and is basic enough if you don't do a lot of downloading or visit unknown sites or experience any problems, but it's always a great use to have some more 'walls' of security available.

Thing is though, I do download a lot and visit unknown sites. That's the main reason why I want to perhaps buy something better.

Last edited by a moderator:

FireShootSK

Level 17
Verified
Feb 17, 2015
Hello! Good config but...
  • Add more on-demand scanners example Eset Online Scanner,EKK,Zemana AM
  • I don't see any backup programs. Backup your important files to cloud.
  • Install Web of Trust(WOT) add-on to your browser.
  • If you want paid AV eset is great choice. I using it on notebook and have good performance.
Sayonara ;)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hello @RigorMortis, and welcome back!:)

I agree with all @yigido (I see now you have CCleaner..), @Sr. Normal (PrivaZer is both thorough & safe!), @hjlbx, @sid_16, & @FireShootSK, have graciously imparted with you!:):)

One of my favorite extensions, LastPass, adds encryption security while helping your safe handling of passwords, and it's absolutely free!
Learn more about using Sandboxie.
Links on the right side of the download page include 'reviews', 'tutorials', & a video.

Although you've system with plentiful resources, it's ever a good move (and to your advantage) to test an AV or suite before making your decision by allowing yourself to see for yourself which works better for your unique system's configuration.
Through May 4, there is currently a free giveaway for Kaspersky IS here: http://malwaretips.com/threads/kaspersky-internet-security-2015-giveaway.44198/
Our trial has ended, yet we were grateful to learn our Windows 7 SP 1 system would do better with 4 more GB RAM ..like yours!:p Now we are trial running ESET Smart Security 8 which you can also try, and even enter to win here: http://malwaretips.com/threads/eset-smart-security-8-giveaway.43264/ For us, this has been an exceptionally good fit thus far, and as my wife is now happier, simple physics (..& common sense) tell us, in turn, how my own life can be both happy and long ..that is, until the trial period :eek:ends, lol!!:p:D

If you decide to accept sid_16's generous offer (imho) you would do well by first taking it for a test run on your own system by downloading, and using, Emsisoft IS free (for 30 days) here: http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/internetsecurity/?PageSpeed=noscript ;)

Good luck with all these excellent choices. You'll have absolutely nothing to lose!!:):)

Last edited:
R

RigorMortis

Thread author
I have now updated my security config. Biggest change is that I bought KIS 2015. Although @sid_16 made a generous offer I just had to buy KIS 15 when I found it so cheap. $23 on anti-virus4u.com. So far I haven't noticed that Kaspersky is heavy at all, if anything it's lighter than AVG.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

RigorMortis

Thread author
One of my favorite extensions, LastPass, adds encryption security while helping your safe handling of passwords, and it's absolutely free!
Learn more about using Sandboxie.
I will definitely check out LastPass. I have heard of it before but I never tried it out. @MrXidus showed me Sandboxie a couple of years ago, I think before MalwareTips even existed.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Kaspersky Internet Security should be fine for you and tweaking the main backbone feature of their Application Control carefully will be very effective at all.

For backup its better if saving from External HDD besides on cloud and making system image using built in from Windows or third party program.

L

LabZero

Thread author
I don't think you have saved an Operative System image on Mega ;)
Then I suggest you add a backup and restore program as Pagaron B&R or Macrium Reflect or Windows backup default tool.
Good security setup.

R

RigorMortis

Thread author
I have a question. Can you manually enable "gaming mode" in KIS 2015? If not I will have to ditch Kaspersky even though I payed for a full year. :/ The rootkit scans and updates while im gaming is giving me stuttering and ms lag. The gaming profile doesn't work for me because I don't run my games in fullscreen.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I have a question. Can you manually enable "gaming mode" in KIS 2015? If not I will have to ditch Kaspersky even though I payed for a full year. :/ The rootkit scans and updates while im gaming is giving me stuttering and ms lag. The gaming profile doesn't work for me because I don't run my games in fullscreen.
In order to address your problem directly, here is the support page for Kaspersky:

Reactions: LabZero

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.