rkkdjb's Configuration (updated)

Myna

Level 10
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
1. Disabling UAC is a blunder. Activate it.
2. Add Disconnect, Self Destucting cookie and Bitdefender traffic light to your firefox.

Thank you for sharing your config :)

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Better don't mess with registry cleaners if you don't know what's changed in the registry.Τthere is even no need to use such tools, as useless registry keys do not really slow down the computer. This is in most cases a myth.
I agree that you should enable UAC. Also Google Chrome is safer than Firefox as it implies sandboxing technologies.
Welcome to our community :)

R

rkkdjb

Thread author
1. Disabling UAC is a blunder. Activate it.
2. Add Disconnect, Self Destucting cookie and Bitdefender traffic light to your firefox.

Thank you for sharing your config :)
thanx for ur suggestions
but if i m able to activate the hidden administrator , can't i bypass that UAC automatically(it wouldn't ask for the password then, na?).
A thing missing here is whether u r encrypting ur hdd or not, dont u think it should be added to config?or it doesn't make a diff, bcoz i think the last unhackable thing in a pc is encrypted disk. otherwise everythingelse is matter of mins.Dont get me wrong this is for gaining info.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thank you for your configuration, rkkdjb.:) If you are using a password to log on to your computer, that is a user account security feature. UAC, some may consider an annoyance; but it's warnings can (and do) prevent careless exposure of your system to malware. Activate it, at least, to default "Notify when changes are made to system", and you'll be safer.;)

Myna

Level 10
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
thanx for ur suggestions
but if i m able to activate the hidden administrator , can't i bypass that UAC automatically(it wouldn't ask for the password then, na?).
Sorry, I didn't get this part of yours.
And about the 'encrypting thing'.... hmmm.... we @ MT were talking about prevention from malwares. So no one advised you to encryprt your HDD.
If you wanna do that, I'd advise you to use truecrypt. Its free and opensource (most probably you already know about it.)
And yes its possile to bypass any windows user account password in a matter of seconds and you wouldn't even realise your machine has been hacked.

Reactions: rkkdjb
R

rkkdjb

Thread author
And yes its possile to bypass any windows user account password in a matter of seconds and you wouldn't even realise your machine has been hacked.
in this regard only i m saying i enable hidden administrator account will the UAC still ask for password or prompt even the hacker doesn't put any password.
also
And about the 'encrypting thing'.... hmmm.... we @ MT were talking about prevention from malwares. So no one advised you to encryprt your HDD.
is encrypting a source of malware?

Myna

Level 10
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
in this regard only i m saying i enable hidden administrator account will the UAC still ask for password or prompt even the hacker doesn't put any password.
I think you're getting the whole UAC thing wrong....
My advice is.... disable the hidden admistrator account. Goto.... control pannel/system&security/change user account settings
and change the UAC to default/always notify
Ashampoo_Snap_2014_02_27_19h29m01s_001_User_Acco.jpg
If you've set a password for your user account, it'll always ask for login password unless you activate auto login.

is encrypting a source of malware?
No. Encryption is not a source of malware.

I

illumination

Thread author
thanx for ur suggestions
A thing missing here is whether u r encrypting ur hdd or not, dont u think it should be added to config?or it doesn't make a diff, bcoz i think the last unhackable thing in a pc is encrypted disk. otherwise everythingelse is matter of mins.Dont get me wrong this is for gaining info.

You should really only use the Hidden Administrator Account for trouble shooting.. I would as suggested above, disable this, and enable the UAC..

R

rkkdjb

Thread author
You should really only use the Hidden Administrator Account for trouble shooting.. I would as suggested above, disable this, and enable the UAC..
its not a ques about me(i have it disabled and now enabled the UAC as well), its about sum1 hacking my pc and protecting it, he would follow this path, thats why i was asking, ny suggestion

Myna

Level 10
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
its not a ques about me(i have it disabled and now enabled the UAC as well), its about sum1 hacking my pc and protecting it, he would follow this path, thats why i was asking, ny suggestion
If you are afraid of getting hacked, use truecrypt to encrypt the whole HDD. use a strong password. truecrypt is free, open source and fully reliable.

I

illumination

Thread author
If your concern is someone getting into your system, the last thing you want to do, is have the hidden account open with full access authorized.

A standard account with UAC enabled would keep you much safer..

Jcwisgod

Level 2
Verified
Dec 4, 2013
I'd enable UAC to always notify, Also don't mess with Registry Cleaners, if you really can't live without one, then use CCleaner's and backup the Registry before you clean it. CCleaner is also a disk cleaner, so I'd recommend just to use that than the ones you're using atm

R

rkkdjb

Thread author
Guyz updated my configuration
Got rid of all the extra cleaning software and added a few security s/w
Would like your view now :rolleyes:

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
UAC, ESET NOD 32, and Windows Firewall are a splendid line up!:) If you are still using 7, update to version 8 directly over the older version.
UAC set at Default = Great!;) Your secondary scanners are good choices that I use myself.
Malwarebytes has also developed a Free Anti-Exploit which silently protects browsers & apps. from these vulnerabilities.
Comodo Dragon was formerly my favorite Chromium based browser when used with Windows 8.1 for both it's speed and responsiveness. I can no longer use it now,:oops: the reason being that it's security patches continue to be held behind and therefore subjecting us to exposure to infections, malware, and even crytolocker attacks, with considerably more vulnerability. This is unacceptable for a browser meant to be safer, for it truly is not. Comodo is, in fact, the exact opposite of the Nightly Builds making Comodo's browser unnecessarily more vulnerable. Needed are timely security updates which could lead to patching thos holes. You should resist using it.

Whichever browser you choose, using a sandbox protection with any browser is an effective method of protecting your system from unwanted changes or exposure to a variety of unseen threats we are all subject to. A sandbox is like placing a protective "rain coat" over your dry clothing when you go out in the rain. When you return to where it is safe and dry, the wet rain coat (sandbox) can be discarded (deleted).:)
Note: All changes to the browser while sandboxed last only until removal of (deleting) the sandbox. Updates, or extensions you wish to keep (not limittee temporarily for testing) must be performed without using sandboxie.;)

Thank you for sharing your configuration, and for listening too!:D
With regards to Comodo Dragon,yes, it is outdated but i m talking abt the recently launched Comodo Chromium Secure
Also i use it only as a second option.

Sandboxie,well causes problems especially with 64bit browsers but recently the new version came out
So yeah i may give it a go.

Thanx for ur comment :)

You are welcome, my friend.

"Comodo Chromium Secure". You just taught me about something new!:)

I have run into the problem of non-functional Chrome x64 bit browsers when sanboxed using Sandboxie. Hopefully your Nightly shall work properly.

Two excellent Mozilla sourced x64 bit browsers I've enjoyed using o_O(..both work with Sandboxie) respectively, they are:
  1. Cyberfox www.8pecxstudios.com
  2. Pale Moon www.palemoon.org
  • Each are currently patched and frequently updated, and are superbly fast and responsive. I recommend their portable versions which alleviates additional registry entries to your system!
Thanks, rkkdjb!:D

Last edited:
R

rkkdjb

Thread author
UAC, ESET NOD 32, and Windows Firewall are a splendid line up! Likewise, your secondary scanners are good choices I use myself.:)
UAC set at Default = Great!;)
Malwarebytes has also developed a Free Anti-Exploit which silently protects browsers & apps. from these vulnerabilities.
Comodo Dragon was formerly my favorite Chromium based browser when used with Windows 8.1 for both it's speed and responsiveness. I can no longer use it now,:oops: the reason being that it's security patches continue to be held behind and therefore subjecting us to exposure to infections, malware, and even crytolocker attacks, with considerably more vulnerability. This is unacceptable for a browser meant to be safer, for it truly is not. Comodo is, in fact, the exact opposite of the Nightly Builds making Comodo's browser unnecessarily more vulnerable. Needed are timely security updates which could lead to patching thos holes. You should resist using it.

Whichever browser you choose, using a sandbox protection with any browser is an effective method of protecting your system from unwanted changes or exposure to a variety of unseen threats we are all subject to. A sandbox is like placing a protective "rain coat" over your dry clothing when you go out in the rain. When you return to where it is safe and dry, the wet rain coat (sandbox) can be discarded (deleted).:)
Note: All changes to the browser while sandboxed last only until removal of (deleting) the sandbox. Updates, or extensions you wish to keep (not limittee temporarily for testing) must be performed without using sandboxie.;)

Thank you for sharing your configuration, and for listening too!:D

Thanks for sharing ur viewpoints.
Yes i m using ESET 8 :D
Actually i forgot to mention i am using EMET as anti-exploit
Also i had tried MBAE but didn't like it, as it was affecting my browsing.(sumtym not even allowing the genuine apps to open up)

With regards to Comodo Dragon,yes, it is outdated but i m talking abt the recently launched Comodo Chromium Secure
Also i use it only as a second option.

Sandboxie,well causes problems especially with 64bit browsers but recently the new version came out
So yeah i may give it a go.

Thanx for ur comment :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.