RoadRashWolfenstein's Security Configuration

• Thread starter RoadRashWolfenstein
  • Start date
R

RoadRashWolfenstein

Thread author
Hi there ! This is my security config for our 3 computers. It's a pretty classic old school config that have a good enough level of protection in my opinion. I believe the first line of defense is common sens, and I've taught my family the basics of safe surfing.

I like this config as it's light, reliable and automated. I don't use much add-ons as they tend to slow down browsing.

PC protected by this config are two Acer Revo One (Intel i5, Intel HD 5000, 128 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD) mostly used for surfing and some image and video editing, and an Asus Predator Gaming PC (Intel i5, Nvidia GTX 950, 1 TB HDD) used for games.

In the event that one of my computer would be infected by a nasty malware, i would disinfect it and perform a clean install of Windows 10.

Thanks a lot for reading me. I'm happy to share my security config with you guys and i am open to suggestions ;)

EDITED: following your suggestions i added Acronis True Image. Awesome software, no more long reformat if something goes wrong :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I would consider removing SAS and adding Emsisoft Emergency Kit,Zemana Antimalware,etc. to your on demand scanners.
Consider uBlock Origin in Chrome
IMO CCleaner or Privazer are more than enough and would replace iolo with one of them.
Consider some type of system back up solution.
Good Config! Thanks for sharing it with us :)

R

RoadRashWolfenstein

Thread author
I would consider removing SAS and adding Emsisoft Emergency Kit,Zemana Antimalware,etc. to your on demand scanners.
Consider uBlock Origin in Chrome
IMO CCleaner or Privazer are more than enough and would replace iolo with one of them.
Consider some type of system back up solution.
Good Config! Thanks for sharing it with us :)

Thanks a lot for your suggestions and for taking the time to read my config :D

I love SAS (i have the professional version) as it's quite light and awesome at removing tracking cookies. I also like System Mechanic as it's automated and really good at cleaning the system.

I think i'll add Zemana to my list of on demand scanner as they have a free version and i'll give a try to the Emsisoft Emergency Kit as it looks great.

Thanks for the advice and have a great day ;)

Reactions: Deleted member 2913
R

RoadRashWolfenstein

Thread author
I would like to suggest a good free backup solution such as Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper, both have a free and reliable solution. ;)

Thanks for the suggestion, these softs looks great, especially Macrium Reflect. I'll give it a try when i have time as I've never used a backup solution before.

Have an awesome day ;)

F

ForgottenSeer 55474

Thread author
Nice config, but let me say: get rid of IOLO System Mechanic as fast as possible,it ruined a brand new PC/laptop for me,i will not even begin to describe how bad tune up utilities are:)
Thanks for sharing;)

R

RoadRashWolfenstein

Thread author
Nice config, but let me say: get rid of IOLO System Mechanic as fast as possible,it ruined a brand new PC/laptop for me,i will not even begin to describe how bad tune up utilities are:)
Thanks for sharing;)

Thanks for the suggestion but System Mechanic have never caused me any problems and i still have 2 years left on my license. I like the scheduled clean-up. I must be lucky as i never had a problem with any of the tune up utilities I've tried :cool:

Thanks for taking the time to answer me and sorry for the late answer, been busy lately :p

Reactions: Deleted member 2913
R

RoadRashWolfenstein

Thread author
Updated security my setup on my 3 PCs:

- Removed Acronis True Image, Malwarebytes and iolo System Mechanic
- Replaced Norton Security Premium by Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete
- Added Revo Uninstaller and Internet Download Manager
- Added Ghostery extension

K

KGBagent47

Thread author
High five for using Webroot. I'm currently using it on a laptop with max heuristics and warn when untrusted application connects to internet. It's a great product for the basic educated user, with excellent process control options.

R

RoadRashWolfenstein

Thread author
High five for using Webroot. I'm currently using it on a laptop with max heuristics and warn when untrusted application connects to internet. It's a great product for the basic educated user, with excellent process control options.

Yeah it's amazing how light it is and yet how good the protection is. I also like the fact that you can use it as a whitelist only if your really wanna lock down your PC ;)

Reactions: KGBagent47
R

RoadRashWolfenstein

Thread author
Updated my security setup on my 3 PCs:

- Added Norton Security, so i now use Norton and Webroot. Awesome combo and very light on system after some tweaking.
- Added back Acronis True Image, worth the slowdows for the peace of mind
- Removed Ghostery as it caused some problems on some websites
- Removed HitmanPro as i don't have a license and it asks me to buy

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
i have a portable version of SAS...really nice for the Tracking Cookies but weak against malware.

The CCleaner kills the most cookies too...

Reactions: RoadRashWolfenstein

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.