SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I added SpyBot Search and Destroy as an on-demand scanner to see how it performed.

I regret not smoking because this software gave me cancer anyways.
I used it 10 year ago when it was good. Are you stalking my older profiles on the interwebs? Stop adding stuff because they are a point of entry for any theoretical malware. Keep 1 on demand and remove everything else. If you think you have malware you will restore your image anw so all of this is pointless.

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Hey @RoboMan could you elaborate what do you mean by that? I don't see much you can tweak in EIS, what am I missing? :)
On PROTECTION window:

• Surf Protection: all in block and notify instead of alert
  • File Guard: changed from balanced to thorough - PUP detection changed from ALERT to quarantine with notification
  • Firewall: all inbound and outbound connections from all trusted and not trusted software set on ASK instead of automatically allow for some of them

On SETTINGS window:

• Privacy: enable Anti Malware program

That's it for me.

I used it 10 year ago when it was good. Are you stalking my older profiles on the interwebs? Stop adding stuff because they are a point of entry for any theoretical malware. Keep 1 on demand and remove everything else. If you think you have malware you will restore your image anw so all of this is pointless.
Can't keep one on demand. They don't offer real time protection so it does not affect my system. When i had to clean my dad's laptop from ransomware i put on a pendrive all my on demand scanners, like 4 of them. ESET, EEK, NPE, and ZAM. Out of all of them, only ZAM detected the lastest version of the ransomware that was infecting my dad's machine. That's why i don't trust only one on-demand scanner. Plus with my firewall I block them from accessing to the internet, only allow them when scanning if required.

@SHvFl how is it an entry point for malware? Curious. I know vulnerabilities are an entry point for malware, such as buggy or outdated software. That's why i only use a couple of known, updated malware scanners. Still, i do not keep portable scanners on my laptop but on a external drive for two reasons: if i get infected i don't want them to be deleted or corrupted, and because i only have SSD by the moment and don't wanna fill it with crap :p

Last edited:

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Btw now that you installed Kaspersky(update your topic you damn robot) will you enable application control? If you do so then will you keep using VS?

About your question you are right and this is why i said theoretical malware. In practice it shouldn't happen.

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Btw now that you installed Kaspersky(update your topic you damn robot) will you enable application control? If you do so then will you keep using VS?

About your question you are right and this is why i said theoretical malware. In practice it shouldn't happen.

Yes i enabled KAC, and i tweaked every single configuration for maximum security. Performance dropped af after doing that but after a couple of hours it is more stable. I can notice a bit of delay but nothing to over worry about. I still have VS on.

Replaced Emsisoft Internet Security with Kaspersky Internet Security.

Reactions: frogboy and SHvFl

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Removed VoodooShield and configured Kaspersky's Application Control to NOT TRUST and block (even internet connection) all unknown applications. What do you think?

Without VS system is running more smoothly.

Reactions: SHvFl

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Removed VoodooShield and configured Kaspersky's Application Control to NOT TRUST and block (even internet connection) all unknown applications. What do you think?

Without VS system is running more smoothly.
A good call for sure. KIS is a solid program and doesn't need another application control software.

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I wish i could have lots of software to feel safe like Kaspersky + VoodooShield + Zemana AntiLogger + NASA software protection + Umbra Internet Security but since i installed KIS18 i had to uninstall everything. Literally, i feel safe and i need nothing else the way i configured it to lock everything down, but i just miss having a lot of tray icons active :(

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
After issues with Kaspersky's Application Control (slowing down installation and uninstalling of software, software opening), and e-mail exchange (unsuccessful) with Kaspersky's support team, i've opted to disable Application Control module and go back with VoodooShield (v4).

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Well, see you in hell Kaspersky. I got mad after seeing my system so slow and basic folders taken up to a minute to load. I uninstalled the product and i'm talking to a moderator in order to give it away to somebody who wants it.

For the last couple of days, with the help of @tonibalas, i've tested ESET Internet Security v10 on my VM, which performed great, so i moved it to my real system after a Windows 10 fresh install. Two days with the software on learning mode (HIPS and Firewall) so it auto-learns the rules and today i have switched it to interactive to recieve all the necessary alerts and notifications. Impressed with the ammount of tweaking options this software has. I have configured it to achieve the maximum protection. Even under this circumstances, it consumes less than 100MB and 0% CPU on idle. System feels extremely light and folder (thank God) load in normal, fast, times.

My current configuration is:

• ESET Internet Security (v10 - tweaked for maximum lockdown and protection)
  • VoodooShield (lastest stable version)
  • AirVPN enabled 24/7

If everything goes right, by the end of my trial i will buy a license.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Well, see you in hell Kaspersky. I got mad after seeing my system so slow and basic folders taken up to a minute to load. I uninstalled the product and i'm talking to a moderator in order to give it away to somebody who wants it.

For the last couple of days, with the help of @tonibalas, i've tested ESET Internet Security v10 on my VM, which performed great, so i moved it to my real system after a Windows 10 fresh install. Two days with the software on learning mode (HIPS and Firewall) so it auto-learns the rules and today i have switched it to interactive to recieve all the necessary alerts and notifications. Impressed with the ammount of tweaking options this software has. I have configured it to achieve the maximum protection. Even under this circumstances, it consumes less than 100MB and 0% CPU on idle. System feels extremely light and folder (thank God) load in normal, fast, times.

My current configuration is:

• ESET Internet Security (v10 - tweaked for maximum lockdown and protection)
  • VoodooShield (lastest stable version)
  • AirVPN enabled 24/7

If everything goes right, by the end of my trial i will buy a license.
I'm not sure what caused such a level of performance issue in your system even after disabling AC. Didn't face such on my mid-spec PC.
Anyways, you cannot transfer your license to another person if it has already been activated on your PC.
Do update us regarding ESET's performance. Tweaked ESET should be awesome!

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I'm not sure what caused such a level of performance issue in your system. Didn't face such on my mid-spec PC.
Anyways, you cannot transfer your license to another person if it has already been activated on your PC.
Do update us regarding ESET's performance. Tweaked ESET should be awesome!
Oh it's so sad. I have 303 days remaining on that license...

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Wise choice iron man.
Eset has everything you want and nothing can infect your pc if you use that hips in interactive mode.
Maybe some malware can run but they only remain in the process lists and can't do anything.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Good to know it's that easy in case of Kaspersky! Thanks for the info. There might be some regional restrictions on activation though.
@RoboMan had you set File AV Heuristics to High OR modified default iSwift & iChecker settings?
On first instance, yes. I tweaked for maximum settings but i noticed a significant slow down, so i turned everything back to default and managed to tweak some basic things on Application Control and Firewall to be more protected. Still heavy on system. On a high-end laptop. Weird.

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Since i left the security of Kaspersky's web tracking blocking, i added Ghostery to my browsers. Right now, this is my basic coverage:

• Antivirus: ESET Internet Security
  • Anti-executable: VoodooShield
  • Active Browser: Firefox and Opera
  • Add-ons/extensions: NoScript, uBlock Origin, HTTPS Everywhere, PopUp Blocker (strict), Ghostery
  • VPN: AirVPN (network lock enabled, always working)

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Believe i was reading somewhere that ghostery is shady and was also bought by a marketing analytics company. So maybe not a good idea to use it. Probably better to add the privacy lists to ublock origin.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.