Showcase RoboMan's Stolen Secrets Storage Device (2017 updated)

Form factor
Estimated $
$1050
Make & Model
Acer Predator Helios 300
OS installed
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
Intel Core i7 7700HQ
GPU
GTX 1060 6GB
RAM
16GB
Storage
256GB SSD
1TB HDD
Monitor
1920 x 1080
Keyboard and Mouse
Redragon Kumara
Logitech G403
My computer protection
ESET Internet Security

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
I'm 21, my only wife is my League of Legends account lol
Ah, the good times. I dimly remember. :D

N.B.: The following image led me to assume your demise. :p
RM 2017-08-24_13-42-55.jpg

Wife sneaking up behind me while posting… "What? But I didn't mean… it was just…" <ouch>
:eek::D

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Ah, the good times. I dimly remember. :D

N.B.: The following image led me to assume your demise. :p
View attachment 164641

Wife sneaking up behind me while posting… "What? But I didn't mean… it was just…" <ouch>
:eek::D
Hahaha! That's the guy that was hosting me on USA when i did some work travels :) I shipped it to that house where i was living!

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
including making a mean ham and eggs on it :D
I come with updates almost one year later. This laptop heats as hell itself LOL, but I found a way to cool it down. To start with, use Predator Sense software to use fans at its maximum power while gaming (noisy!) and then undervolt the CPU and GPU by a 1% only (drops 1FPS and cools like 20°C). If I don't do this, I game at 85°C LOL; with the tweaks it's under 70°C, pretty decent for a gaming laptop.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I come with updates almost one year later. This laptop heats as hell itself LOL, but I found a way to cool it down. To start with, use Predator Sense software to use fans at its maximum power while gaming (noisy!) and then undervolt the CPU and GPU by a 1% only (drops 1FPS and cools like 20°C). If I don't do this, I game at 85°C LOL; with the tweaks it's under 70°C, pretty decent for a gaming laptop.
Repaste it with IC diamond 7.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Can I add a thought? I mean, I pick up scraps of info here and there and some work, some don't, and I only stick to the very basic hardware stuff. Here is a PC but the only internal drive is an M2 and I kvetched about one sensor long ago reading relatively high, sometimes approaching 60 deg C under load. So, I put a heatsink on the Samsung EVO 960. The cost of this part was 13.00 USD but I saw some others (thicker) for 10.00 USD. Here is before and after just with regular use of browsing.

directly before heatsink:
temp1.png

directly after: (radiator kicked on so I can't precisely duplicate ambient temp but even so)
Screenshot (21).png

Is something like this available for a high-end laptop, maybe (certainly a consideration for a PC)? The heatsink dimensions are 22mm/80mm for the NVM=e. I know things are much hotter already in a laptop but dust/dirt buildup also. I run the PC with side panel off so dust/dirt is a concern also, esp. on the fan blades. So, I want to protect my one internal drive from the environment. What do you say--is this available for a laptop and if so, would it theoretically be worth it?

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Can I add a thought? I mean, I pick up scraps of info here and there and some work, some don't, and I only stick to the very basic hardware stuff. Here is a PC but the only internal drive is an M2 and I kvetched about one sensor long ago reading relatively high, sometimes approaching 60 deg C under load. So, I put a heatsink on the Samsung EVO 960. The cost of this part was INR 919 but I saw some others (thicker) for INR 707. Here is before and after just with regular use of browsing.

directly before heatsink:

directly after: (radiator kicked on so I can't precisely duplicate ambient temp but even so)

Is something like this available for a high-end laptop, maybe (certainly a consideration for a PC)? The heatsink dimensions are 22mm/80mm for the NVM=e. I know things are much hotter already in a laptop but dust/dirt buildup also. I run the PC with side panel off so dust/dirt is a concern also, esp. on the fan blades. So, I want to protect my one internal drive from the environment. What do you say--is this available for a laptop and if so, would it theoretically be worth it?
Try advancing gene thermal heatsink/radiator which includes some thermal pads or get ADATA XPG SX8200 or gammix to get free heatsink that claims to reduce temps by 10C. I just used thermal pads and it reduced the temps by 10C at max load and 8C cooler on idle depending on ambient temps. My average ambient temps is around 30-40C.

Reactions: plat and RoboMan

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Acer Support cleaned the internal hardware and repasted it. As soon as I got it I went YOLO and also did a clean install of Windows so we can approach better the job done. Just finished installing everything and hopefully it works great! :)

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Acer Support cleaned the internal hardware and repasted it. As soon as I got it I went YOLO and also did a clean install of Windows so we can approach better the job done. Just finished installing everything and hopefully it works great! :)
What are the temps now after repaste?

Reactions: RoboMan

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
What are the temps now after repaste?
Well... tbh temps haven't changed much but it works better. Nevertheless I'm facing more issues now than before...

1. When playing League of Legends I have 200FPS and suddenly it drops to 15 or even 10 for a few seconds, making it unplayable
2. When playing other games such as Dead by Daylight the screen suddenly freezes for 2/3 seconds and then comes back

Any ideas? What I've done so far:
  • Reinstalled Microsoft Visual C
  • Reinstalled graphic driver
  • Searched for Windows Updates
  • Prayed to Beelzeboss
To consider: I cleaned install Windows 10 1809 after the hardware cleaning

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Do the stress tests again. You are either facing temperature issues again with the gpu or it's faulty. Regardless test and if it crashes send it back and tell them they failed.

Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
get ADATA XPG SX8200 or gammix to get free heatsink that claims to reduce temps by 10C. I

Oh shoot, now you tell me! :) I installed this and it averages for the one sensor about 7 deg C heat reduction....for a big and ugly PC devoid of internal SATA drives. I wanted to know if there was something similar for RoboMan's high end laptop so that his drive would help stay cooler during these episodes. Insofar as the laptop freezes and crashes: would it be useful to upload benchmarks, tests and event viewer errors/warnings to email or other service so that the laptop people can see for themselves?

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Oh shoot, now you tell me! :) I installed this and it averages for the one sensor about 7 deg C heat reduction....for a big and ugly PC devoid of internal SATA drives. I wanted to know if there was something similar for RoboMan's high end laptop so that his drive would help stay cooler during these episodes. Insofar as the laptop freezes and crashes: would it be useful to upload benchmarks, tests and event viewer errors/warnings to email or other service so that the laptop people can see for themselves?
That EKWB looks somewhat bigger for laptops. Try advancing gene heatsink https://www.amazon.com/Advancing-Ge...qid=1543257336&sr=8-2&keywords=advancing+gene
Well... tbh temps haven't changed much but it works better. Nevertheless I'm facing more issues now than before...

1. When playing League of Legends I have 200FPS and suddenly it drops to 15 or even 10 for a few seconds, making it unplayable
2. When playing other games such as Dead by Daylight the screen suddenly freezes for 2/3 seconds and then comes back

Any ideas? What I've done so far:
  • Reinstalled Microsoft Visual C
  • Reinstalled graphic driver
  • Searched for Windows Updates
  • Prayed to Beelzeboss
To consider: I cleaned install Windows 10 1809 after the hardware cleaning
Don't laugh when I say this: That damn issue is because of F*** nvidia optimus. Use Intel driver version win64_25.20.100.6373.exe and Nvidia 416.8. DDU both of them and install Intel driver > Reboot > Install Nvidia w/o bloatware using NVSlimmer > Reboot and then explicitly set your games in graphics settings via Settings App to Nvidia 1060.

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I ought yet to test Dead by Daylight and other games, but so far League of Legends issue (FPS dropping to 15) seems solved.

What I did:
  • Disabled Windows Update looking for hardware drivers
  • Boot into Safe Mode
  • Uninstalled NVIDIA graphic driver with Display Driver Uninstaller
  • Installed latest NVIDIA graphic driver directly from NVIDIA site
  • Rebooted

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
That EKWB looks somewhat bigger for laptops. Try advancing gene heatsink https://www.amazon.com/Advancing-Ge...qid=1543257336&sr=8-2&keywords=advancing+gene

Don't laugh when I say this: That damn issue is because of F*** nvidia optimus. Use Intel driver version win64_25.20.100.6373.exe and Nvidia 416.8. DDU both of them and install Intel driver > Reboot > Install Nvidia w/o bloatware using NVSlimmer > Reboot and then explicitly set your games in graphics settings via Settings App to Nvidia 1060.
I might do this now.. The problem is here again, low FPS and screen freezing. I will do as you mention and tell you.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I might do this now.. The problem is here again, low FPS and screen freezing. I will do as you mention and tell you.
Use MSI AB overlay and ThrottleStop(TS). In TS, uncheck BD PROCHOT and see if it fixes the FPS dropping to 15 or even less on GTX 1060.

Reactions: RoboMan

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Use MSI AB overlay and ThrottleStop(TS). In TS, uncheck BD PROCHOT and see if it fixes the FPS dropping to 15 or even less on GTX 1060.
Disabling BD PROCHOT can only get you in trouble. There is a reason your cpu throttles and it's not because intel hates high speed. Better to throttle than lose all your device.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Disabling BD PROCHOT can only get you in trouble. There is a reason your cpu throttles and it's not because intel hates high speed. Better to throttle than lose all your device.
I disable it on most PC on AC power and never had any problems. I've seen people complain about crap cpu speeds when idle and cpu downclocking itself to 800MHz because of BDPROCHOT triggering mysteriously even though, temps are under 40-50C. BDPROCHOT looks at nearby sensor values and actually doesn't take into considering the offset values to be applied when the ambient temps increases/decrease calibrating it to correct values.
The problems also occurs when your laptop battery is inside the laptop and temps values due to high FPS gaming can mislead BDPROCHOT to believe the CPU is overheating and introduce artificial throttling even though temps are fine. Notable example are Dell,HP and Lenovo w/ skylake and above CPUs. I won't say what they do to throttle 8th gen with higher cores and clocks.(hint: DPTF and TSkin temps)
Even if you disable BDPROCHOT and your cpu reaches PROCHOT temps of 90-95C it'll throttle down to insane low clocks to reduce temps.
I hate throttling when my temps are under 70C. It kills the experience when gaming and compiling huge apps/kernels.

Reactions: Black Wings

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.