Mar 3, 2019
Windows Edition
Pro
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Always notify
Real-time security
At this moment I am using Panda Free AV, Webroot, and Windows Firewall Control.

My browser is Chrome.

I use the following:
Agguard,
Keyscrambler Premium,
NoVirus System Hardner,
Start MenuX,
Clipmate,
Last Pass,
Ant Downloader,
PatchMyPC,
Norton PE (for on demand)
and Macrium Reflect.
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Periodic malware scanners
Cylance, Webroot, and Norton PE (for on demand)
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Chrome, with no redirect, adguard
Maintenance tools
None at moment, would use Pegasun System Utility 5 (NICE)
OR
Kerish Dr.
File and Photo backup
Macrium Reflect Home
System recovery
Macrium Home
Risk factors
    • Gaming
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
Computer specs
Asrock X470
Ryzen 2700X
Geforce RTX 2070
Corsair DDR4 4x8 32g 3000MHz
NVMe M.2

RodM1956

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Feb 1, 2019
It's not clear to me whether you have the 4 SWs installed together or those are 4 different scenarios.
If the latter, ok, your choice would probably be: go for ESET.
If the former, I wouldn't call it "layered approach", all of them cover one point only (AV), while you have other layers uncovered (FW for example)

Sorry for confusion, they are stacked in order listed; all installed together. What I've settled on now is Cylance, Foresight, and Webroot (Tweaked).

RodM1956

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Feb 1, 2019
Thread moved to Computer Security Configuration.

Please Edit Thread to fill out the custom field choices, just as everyone else has.

@harlan4096

OK I think I see what you guys are talking about. I will try and find it. I was just trying things, messing around, wasn't really making a post about "My sec config"...

RodM1956

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Feb 1, 2019
The best layers of security for me would be virtualization and anti-exe /o SRP and Frewall.
And signatures.
So I think Comodo Firewall with Cs configuration. They have three of the four that would be the 1-Sanbox and also acts as a 2-Anti-exe and a 3-Firewall. Therefore, only the missing signatures can choose an AV in real time or on demand. Simple and lightweight

I agree with that, CS config is GREAT, and Comodo runs fast on my new PC....

ONLY problem I have is missing icons, programs being turned off, even legitimate ones.

Now I am not saying this has anything to do with CS settings, I think it is Comodo. I even made screen shots once, to prove it, and others said they had same problems.

RodM1956

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Feb 1, 2019
But there will be a performance penalty if you have two real-time protections of the AV type.

It has been suggested by some here, and sanctioned by cylance and webroot, that using combos maybe an enhancement. Sly has suggested Cylance and Thor Premium, Thor has integrated it's 2 products, Foresight, and it's AV, and FW....

So what I have done, is substitute Thor with another AV and or FW and kept Foresight, in combination with Cylance. (I don't really consider Cylance a Suite).

So now what I've got today is Cylance, Foresight, and Webroot (Tweaked).

This is what I am testing today.
NOD32 is known to be very light. It's also, for what I kwow, the first full 64-bit AV on the market; and since long time.
They are known to have a light and optimized AV and want to keep this longstanding reputation, I suppose.

An interesting point: during the Eset Internet Security installation, the soft checks for possible incompatibilities. The presence of Cylance did not raise any comment from the Eset installer .

As NOD32 has never been really good for me concerning the detection, adding a 'booster' for detections not seem to me absurd. Logic about buying and spending money, that's another topic.

I noticed that too, no notifications from Eset.

Using ESET Internet Security + VoodooShield Pro here and all is well. If you want lightness, MBAM isn't the way to go. Thor Foresight isn't bad but realistically not worth the money as you've got ESET with some of the best web filtration a home user can get with Zvelo, and paying for ESET NOD32 + Cylance or Thor doesn't seem logical to me. ESET and Voodoo is plenty, and like others have suggested SysHardener and Hard_Configurator are amazing tools.

Yea I went back to my Image, before MWBAM, it was heavy.

It may run light on your machine, but this setup is far from being optimized and lean; there is too much redundancy and the layers are almost all about signatures (stacking security solutions together doesnt make a "layered combo")

A much better and lean setup would be:

1. ESET NOD32 with PUP enabled (it covers the malware landscape much better than Heimdal Thor Foresight/MalwareBytes Premium)
  2. NoVirus Thanks OSArmor
  3. NoVirus SysHarderner (zero weight, just tweaks)
  4. Patch My PC (free software updater)
  5. Backup Solution
  6. Chromium based browser with a password manager and an Adblocker (uBlock Origin)

Thanks will ponder this and try it today.

The question should be rather: are these heavy, mastodons, instrusives antivirus, breaking the SSL connection, tirelessly rescanning the same file after each new signature-based update, again and again, are compatible with Cylance?
You have the answer here:

I wrote Cylance and Webroot, asking if they would work together, they both responded positively, and believed the security would be enhanced. I posted the emails here, as proof, but that was another post.

Is Cylance known as a compatible anti-virus?

Yes I wrote them and webroot saying I was trying them together, they said good idea, no problem.

Reactions: bribon77

RodM1956

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Feb 1, 2019
The lightest most protective set-up I've found after asking around the forums, more specifically @ForgottenSeer 58943.
Cylance+Thor Home Premium, Syshardener executed once. Incredibly light and powerful.

Yes I know and don't disagree...Thor premium is 2 products, it is an AV+FW and Foresight, what I am doing now is substituted the AV, trying different AV's with Foresight, and Cylance...

So I have Webroot, Cylance, and Foresight... And so far this is the fastest, most responsive, Apps and web.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
4 layers covered:
  • Realtime & other: Cylance, Foresight & Webroot
  • Backup: Macrium
  • Web Browser: Adguard
  • Firewall: Window Default

My advice:
  • Add Scriptsafe to web browser
  • Keyscrambler Premium in my opinion isn't needed
  • Realtime seems a bit too overkill
  • Consider maybe adding Malwarebytes Firewall Control to enhance the default Window Firewall software further, if you do enable notifications

Thanks for sharing!

~LDogg

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
RodM1956, I don't blame you for exploring and ruling out bad software combinations. It took me a while to find the right combo but it was worth the effort. The goal was to have the computer running cleanly and pretty much instantly, or close to it, with decent, non-intrusive security. That gpu is awesome!

RodM1956

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Feb 1, 2019
4 layers covered:
  • Realtime & other: Cylance, Foresight & Webroot
  • Backup: Macrium
  • Web Browser: Adguard
  • Firewall: Window Default
My advice:
  • Add Scriptsafe to web browser
  • Keyscrambler Premium in my opinion isn't needed
  • Realtime seems a bit too overkill
  • Consider maybe adding Malwarebytes Firewall Control to enhance the default Window Firewall software further, if you do enable notifications
Thanks for sharing!

~LDogg

Thanks adding those now...

RodM1956, I don't blame you for exploring and ruling out bad software combinations. It took me a while to find the right combo but it was worth the effort. The goal was to have the computer running cleanly and pretty much instantly, or close to it, with decent, non-intrusive security. That gpu is awesome!

Yea that was my b-day, Christmas, and Fathers day present.

RodM1956

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Feb 1, 2019
I am testing Webroot, with Heimdal Thor Foresight. It is working very fast. 2nd place to Panda....
Today I will try the new Comodo Firewall V2019, replacing Windows FW, using Cruel Sisters settings, along with Webroot and Foresight to see how my PC does..

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
I am testing Webroot, with Heimdal Thor Foresight. It is working very fast. 2nd place to Panda....

Today I will try the new Comodo Firewall V2019, replacing Windows FW, using Cruel Sisters settings, along with Webroot and Foresight to see how my PC does..

How are you finding the folder for Webroot?

Comodo FW is a great idea to use. Have you also looked at/thought about Tinywall or Malwarebytes Firewall Control? Both are very light, as i know this is your mantra for your setup here.

~LDogg

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.