Rogerius

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 23, 2014
Manufacturer: DELL
Model: Inspiron 15 3543

Display: 15.6" | 1366x768 @ 60 Hz
CPU: Intel Core i7-5500U (2.4 Ghz - 3.0 Ghz TURBO, 4 MB Cache)
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 5500 + nVidia GT 840M (2 GB dedicated VRAM)
RAM: 8 GB DDR3L (Single-Channel)
HDD: 1 TB HGST HTS721010A9E630 + 500 GB ST500LT012-1DG1420
WIFI: Dell Wireless 1705 802.11b/g/n (2.4 GHz) (1x1)

Usage: Everyday usage + software developing + little gaming

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Good configuration! Light and simple, but effective. My only recommendation would be to replace Adblock plus with Adguard or µblock, since Adblock plus doesn't block everything anymore and the other ones are lighter. Also it's worth to consider to add the free version of Malwarebytes, but its of course just a recommendation. :) Stay safe!

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
Simple and strong config,nothing to add except maybe some on demand scanners and a secure password manager(if you are memorizing them ignore this suggestion :p ) for better management and security.
A backup solution is a must in the form of a clean system image updated regularly, if anything untoward happens you can always restore your system.Windows default backup or a third party backup solution (AOMEI Backupper,Macrium Reflect Free) can do that easily.

Thanks for sharing!

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Consider to use a system backup like others mentied, either a third party program or built in windows system image backup will do. Meanwhile you may go to Adguard extension or Ublock origin as alternative to adblock plus due to effectiveness.

safe1st

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
  • ESET Smart Security 9
  • Zemana Anti-Malware Free
Good config and simple :)

Reactions: Rishi

Rogerius

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 23, 2014
Thanks for the suggestions.
I'm trying to use KeePass as a password manager, but I always lose my key database. I'm trying to improve that. :D
As regards of adblock: I switched it to µblock Origin, and installed MBAM Free too.
About backup: mostly I manually backing up my important files. I don't have that much personal files, which is needed to back up. But maybe I'll try out one of the mentioned free solutions.

Reactions: Rishi

Rogerius

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 23, 2014
Oh, by the way:
Could you guys recommend some advanced settings/tunings in ESET? I use it on default settings, and I heard it's performing the best if some tweaking was made.

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
Default settings is the best if you don't want alerts popping up.Main things to tweak in Eset SS are :

• Firewall
  • HIPS
Eset firewall is either set to automatic mode, or you can use it in interactive mode allowing you to create temporary/per-need-basis/permanent rules regarding inbound/outbound connections.You can also edit custom rules in the settings.

HIPS - Eset HIPS comes in 5 modes : Default mode/ Smart Mode/Interactive Mode/Policy based mode and Learning mode.
Default mode comes with it's own presets and you will only be notified if they are violated.
Smart Mode -You will be notified if anything violates an extended set of predefined rules again.
Interactive mode- Recommended only for advanced users, it will prompt you on what action to take for every event.You can again create rules as per your needs.
Policy Based mode: You would need to set rules manually. Only for advanced users.
Learning Mode : you can set this option if you want Eset to learn about your system and operations and after 2 weeks you will be prompted to make the recorded rules permanent.

Out of these I would strongly suggest you to try Smart mode for less trouble or Learning Mode if you are really interested in customization.You can also search the forum for still useable guides.

Here is the relevant Eset knowledgebase article :Host-based Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS)—Advanced setup (9.x)—ESET Knowledgebase

I am afraid custom HIPS settings cannot be shared as they are system specific.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.