roguedeleter's config

roguedeleter

Thread author
Oct 30, 2011
That's really it. I just have Sophos and common sense. If you want, I'll post my PC config.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Your config looks good. Never seen anyone post a Mac OS X Snow Leopard security configuration before :)

Also is Safari good in Mac?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Not upgraded to Lion, or plan to later? :)

I'm sure you are aware, but make sure your Firewall is switched on.

Sophos is nice free solution, from what you have noticed, it doesn't affect performance?

I assume you use WOT to stay away from phishy/shady web sites.

I doubt this would be of any benefit, but you can try AVG Linkscanner for Mac.

You can post your PC config if you want to, which is your main workstation?

Glad to see a Mac user amongst us. Btw, :welcomewave:

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
nice, you are using MAC OSX.
but, now MAC does not like 1-2 years ago. Safe from viruses.

but, you use a good configuration also.
cheers

roguedeleter

Thread author
Oct 30, 2011
Uh.. I like Sophos McLovin. Thanks anyway. My iMac is my main computer. Sophos doesn't really affect my performance as I have a 3.6 dual core i5 processor as well as 8 gigabytes of RAM. My firewall is turned on, just forgot to put that there. And I might upgrade to Lion, if I have enough time. McLovin, Safari is great on a Mac. I just chose Google Chrome because I feel it's less cluttered. I don't know why... And win7holic, I notice you are Chinese. Don't see a lot of Chinese on security forums. I am also Chinese. :)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
roguedeleter said:
Uh.. I like Sophos McLovin. Thanks anyway. My iMac is my main computer. Sophos doesn't really affect my performance as I have a 3.6 dual core i5 processor as well as 8 gigabytes of RAM. My firewall is turned on, just forgot to put that there. And I might upgrade to Lion, if I have enough time. McLovin, Safari is great on a Mac. I just chose Google Chrome because I feel it's less cluttered. I don't know why... And win7holic, I notice you are Chinese. Don't see a lot of Chinese on security forums. I am also Chinese. :)

Ah, okay well at least you have something on the PC. Just asking about Safari because I used to use it as a web browser but got a bit slow for me.

I see then you are a Chinese who lives in America :D

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Good to see someone that's using Mac OS X. Good to see that you have Sophos for your Real Time Protection, You need to take caution since a lot of malware has been spreading lately for the Mac.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
win7holic said:
nice, you are using MAC OSX.
but, now MAC does not like 1-2 years ago. Safe from viruses.

but, you use a good configuration also.
cheers

Yes there is some malware for MAC into the wild but avoiding and removing it is not that hard.
roguedeleter mention that General computer knowledge: Advanced so I doubt he will 'manage' to infect this system :p
@roguedeleter Have you tried other av's for MACs?

roguedeleter

Thread author
Oct 30, 2011
Jack, I have. I have tried iAntivirus by PCtools. I found that it barely updates. It can go about a year and it will have no updates. I switched to Sophos because they update. Even though most of it is just definitions for Windows viruses, there are definitions for Mac viruses. Just trying to be a little safer. :) (Jack, will you please send some Zemana keys? PLEASE)
Wow. 2 reputation already... Win7holic, thanks. - -

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Since your on Mac OS X, good you have an antivirus installed as viruses were spread rapidly on that OS and common sense included then your low chance of infection/

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Is it possible to have a image backup of a Mac?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Yes there is a possible.

On this link from Apple site its stated how to backup.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
jamescv7 said:
Yes there is a possible.

On this link from Apple site its stated how to backup.

Ahh, okay. At lease you can back a Mac up.
Well roguedeleter have you done a backup?

roguedeleter

Thread author
Oct 30, 2011
I actually don't have a full image backup. I have two USB sticks that contain all my files and as well as my Mac OS X restore disc. I back up my files to the USBs every day. I don't use time machine because I don't have an external HDD. Time machine backups are typically about 30 GB for me.

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Hi Roguedeleter! And Welcome!

Then .. have you XueTr? Look in this XueTr topic: http://malwaretips.com/Thread-XueTr-0-45

My best software.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.