Advice Request Roguekiller & Bitdefender?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure that it's meant as a second layer of defense, so it should work out. After all still not recommended as Bitdefender really offers enough protection and the only effect you might see is that your PC won't be running as smooth as before when adding Roguekiller to your config. I personally think that those setups with a 2nd layer of defense like Malwarebytes or HitmanPro.Alert are unnecessary for the most part and are only worth considering when not using a full security suite (For example Panda Free, Bitdefender Free or Immunet.) As you are using the flagship version of Bitdefender (Bitdefender Total Security) you shouldn't worry about not having enough protection :)

Tiamati

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 8, 2016
I'm pretty sure that it's meant as a second layer of defense, so it should work out. After all still not recommended as Bitdefender really offers enough protection and the only effect you might see is that your PC won't be running as smooth as before when adding Roguekiller to your config. I personally think that those setups with a 2nd layer of defense like Malwarebytes or HitmanPro.Alert are unnecessary for the most part and are only worth considering when not using a full security suite (For example Panda Free, Bitdefender Free or Immunet.) As you are using the flagship version of Bitdefender (Bitdefender Total Security) you shouldn't worry about not having enough protection :)
I agree

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I think I am just going to use it as a second opinion scanner then, I just thought it could be an addition to Bitdefender, I have purchased a lifetime subscription.:confused:
Next time ask first and buy after. Don't worry tho, you can still use it together with a free AV when your Bitdefender license expires. At least you will save some money that way. (y)

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
Thanks, @SecureKongo but no thanks, I will renew my Bitdefender subscription in 330 days, I will never go with a free AV, I do not trust it, Bitdefender has come to my rescue multiple times, so I will always stay with them.:love:
Agreed 100%, although I use Bitdefender Antivirus Plus. It does a great job without slowing me down and has kept me from bad sites online more than a few times.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Why would you ever need it? I believe BTS will suffice on its own. I personally would use Adguard Desktop and Malwarebytes ADW for periodic scans. Just do not clutter your system.

struppigel

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Apr 9, 2020
If you combine RogueKiller with another Antivirus programme on your system, you will have false positives on the AV components that seem like a rootkit to Roguekiller and vice versa. This is quite normal, since Antivirus software needs to deeply ingrain with the operating system, intercept certain API calls and be robust against attempted disabling or deletion by malware. So it uses some techniques that are also often used by malware and look suspicious to a rootkit scanner. Furthermore, the signatures used by Roguekiller and Bitdefender trigger detections on each other as well.

Unless you feel confident to be able to distinguish between real threats and AV components, I do not recommend mixing them. You might end up disabling or damaging vital Bitdefender components without noticing it.

(Edit note: I had to revise my first statement as it seems RogueKiller has gotten some further development and was now published as a full consumer anti-malware engine.)

Last edited:

FireHammer

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 27, 2020
Bitdefender Total Security with VoodooShield and RogueKiller, what are you browsing that's extremely dangerous?

Sales person best customer.
I could tell you, but that does not have any place in this forum, thanks. :unsure:

Reactions: Kongo

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If you are running a supported build of Windows 10, and it is updated within the week, a modern up-to-date browser and don't allow random downloads to install, I would say your PC is safe with just Bitdefender (standalone).

Reactions: Kongo and blackice

Eggnog

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 21, 2018
As a Bitdefender user (BTS) I also feel quite comfortable in saying that BTS on its own is just fine. The few times I've run second opinion scanners, mostly just for fun, they never found anything. Personally, I think you probably shouldn't run anything alongside BTS. Your system speed will thank you.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.