RogueKiller V13

Andrew999

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
What are the new features in v14? Will there be realtime protection?
Yes, in Version 14 there is Real-time protection.
RogueKiller 14 features a modular real time protection against malware. Our first version (14.0) will give you access to the 2 first modules: “Malware Protection” and “Documents Protection”.
To do so, we had to create a 2 new components that will run in the background on your machine: A kernel driver and a service.

The malware protection module is classic, yet very important module. It scans files before they are executed and can deny execution in case of malware. The real time scanner is based on the filesystem scanner, with the same powerful heuristics, AI and cloud modules to make sure all known and unknown malware are detected before they are harmful.

Ransomware are the #1 threat on internet nowadays, we had to do something to protect our customers.
Documents protection module is a very conservative way to protect against Ransomware, based on whitelist. The principle is easy, no program can modify the documents in the locations you choose to protect (pre-defaulted to “My Documents”), unless they are in an “Exclusions list”. It requires a bit of setup at the beginning, but past this period it’s a very effective way to prevent your documents from being held for ransom.

Tigzy

From Adlice
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Mar 15, 2017

Mops21

Level 34
Verified
Honorary Member
Content Creator
Oct 25, 2014
Hi all

Rogue Anti-Malware V14.0.0.16

V14.0.0.16 12/10/2019
=================
- Updated to core 4.0.0
* Real Time Protection
* Malware Protection module
* Documents Protection module
* Real Time Protection settings and UI changes
* Minor fixes

With best Regards
Mops21

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I've had some issues with 14 (Pro) very high memory use in excess of 300 meg not scanning - The program is very unresponsive & as I don't want folders protected by it Rouge did get upset by that, with nagging prompts each time I opened it - In the end I've deleted it, I never really wanted a real time program just second opinion & it wasn't happy with turning real time off either - It is very early days yet, so I'm going to leave it a few weeks & try again. I liked 13 so I'm sure 14 & I can live together. :giggle:

Tigzy

From Adlice
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Mar 15, 2017
- What's wrong with Driver Easy?
[PUP.Easeware (Potentially Malicious)]
- What is that?
[Adw.DownloadSponsor (Malicious)] (folder) DMR -- C:\Users\tyson\AppData\Local\Temp\DMR -> Found

Driver Easy was (is?) proposed in bundleware, this is why it's detected as PUP: False Positive of Driver Easy by AdwCleaner
DownloadSponsor directory is probably a leftover.

Tigzy

From Adlice
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Mar 15, 2017
I've had some issues with 14 (Pro) very high memory use in excess of 300 meg not scanning - The program is very unresponsive & as I don't want folders protected by it Rouge did get upset by that, with nagging prompts each time I opened it - In the end I've deleted it, I never really wanted a real time program just second opinion & it wasn't happy with turning real time off either - It is very early days yet, so I'm going to leave it a few weeks & try again. I liked 13 so I'm sure 14 & I can live together. :giggle:

High memory usage isn't uncommon, the program needs to load the signatures + core in memory.
The UI may be unresponsive at startup but after a few seconds (20 to 30) it's better, we are working on that.
Do you have excessive CPU usage ?

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
CPU was high too which I assume was causing the lack of response - I didn't have time to do a proper check as I wasn't well with some flu thing so I removed it on a temporary basis - What i will do as I'm feeling better is do a clean install & try it again - I have 16 Gig of memory & memory is to be used, it's an A10 chip no longer state but runs very well. I try it again & thank you!

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
OK I've given Rouge 14 clean install, since the original just out of Beta there does seem to be less CPU/Memory use both acceptable - One thing I find & this is just me & others may feel different is a pop-up each time the PC starts informing me all modules are not enabled - This is correct as I haven't & never will ask Rouge to protect my docs/pics etc -

have almost 5 TB of data (precious) on another internal drive with video, HQ flac music & thousands of photographs which I protect by frequent external backups including one in a remote location - I fully understand some may want to us this function, but to have a pop-up on each boot for me is unacceptable & annoying. A simple option to accept a users preferences I feel should be given (perhaps with a dire warning and asking if you really know what you are doing) Asking Rouge to protect 5 TB of date would probably not be a good idea anyway?

As I see it the program IMO could be getting on with starting up faster rather than generating a pop-up - Again all just my opinion, but the program seems to be aimed at more savvy users as there is a technicians licence - Thanks

Pop-Up.png

Last edited:

Mops21

Level 34
Verified
Honorary Member
Content Creator
Oct 25, 2014
Hi all

Rogue Anti-Malware V14.0.3.12

V14.0.3 12/23/2019
=================
- Updated to core 4.0.4
* Fixed Bad.Extension on Zero-filled
* Fixed heuristics in command-line scanner
* Fix for telemetry
* Fixed bad reference decrement in Yara scanner
* Fixed initialization order in worker threads
* Fixed ACLs removal in Debug module
* Fixed potential crash in Exclusions and History Events modules
* Minor fixes
- Added button to export RTP history
- Added button to export service log
- Added button to clear RTP cache
- Fixed warning about modules disabled when explicitely turned off by config
- Fixed an issue with exit warning not showing
- Updated German translation
- Updated Turkish Translation

With best Regards
Mops21

Tigzy

From Adlice
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Mar 15, 2017
have almost 5 TB of data (precious) on another internal drive with video, HQ flac music & thousands of photographs which I protect by frequent external backups including one in a remote location - I fully understand some may want to us this function, but to have a pop-up on each boot for me is unacceptable & annoying
The new versions should now not popup anymore if you disable a module from the settings.

Tigzy

From Adlice
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Mar 15, 2017
Asking Rouge to protect 5 TB of date would probably not be a good idea anyway?
The amount of data doesn't change anything, it's protect by subpath. You can totally protect 1 location with 100TB (or more) inside, like "E:/MyPrecious". The amount has no effect on performance.

Reactions: harlan4096

Tigzy

From Adlice
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Mar 15, 2017
As I see it the program IMO could be getting on with starting up faster rather than generating a pop-up - Again all just my opinion, but the program seems to be aimed at more savvy users as there is a technicians licence - Thanks
Actually it's the opposite. The software is moving more and more towards a "basic user" (not pejorative) design, we have already moved all the technical stuff to another software (Diag), and the Technician version is here just to provide a convenient way to deal with licensing issues when disinfecting clients machines.

Mops21

Level 34
Verified
Honorary Member
Content Creator
Oct 25, 2014
Hi all

Rogue Anti-Malware V14.1.1.00

V14.1.1 01/28/2020
=================
- Updated to core 4.1.1
* Service: Defer crash upload in a worker thread
* Fixed potential issue with hanging processes (including web browsers)
- Fixed EULA showing in installed mode

With best Regards
Mops21

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.