Honorary Member
Content Creator
Oct 25, 2014
Hi all

Rogue Anti-Malware 14.4.2.0

V14.4.2 04/29/2020
=================
- Updated to core 4.3.3
* Fix for crash upload (limitation by dump is present)
* RKSvc 1.3.1

V14.4.1 04/29/2020
=================
- Updated to core 4.3.2
* Fixed pipe disconnect (retry logic)
* Fixed pipe security
* Fixed IPC cache
* Added config auto-backup/restore
* Fixed self-update task
* Fixed crash reports upload

With best Regards
Mops21

Mops21

Level 34
Verified
Honorary Member
Content Creator
Oct 25, 2014

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
What's RK like in terms of detection as a standalone opinion scanner?

~LDogg

Reactions: plat

Andrew999

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
RogueKiller 14.6.2 is available :)
Please note that we removed advertisements on download pages.
I personally didn't mind advertisements on the website so you could make a bit of money. But I guess you removed them due to some people complaining about it?

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
What's RK like in terms of detection as a standalone opinion scanner?

I always considered it an excellent second-opinion scanner, though not without its share of false positives. For instance: I just used the free scanner earlier today and it picked up HWiNFO64, which is a popular hardware monitoring utility. There was also an ad popup box in the lower right hand side of my screen during the scan, FYI.

So, the user has to exercise some judgement whenever RK flags something. I'm wondering if it still shows PUMs--potentially unwanted modifications to the registry. I believe there were like routinely four or five that are no longer picked up by RK, which is nice because it was just so much clutter in the scan report and of no importance.

rkfps.PNG

Andrew999

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
I always considered it an excellent second-opinion scanner, though not without its share of false positives. There was also an ad popup box in the lower right hand side of my screen during the scan, FYI.

I personally haven't noticed many false positives. It is a very good scanner though for more 'advanced' users because it is more sensitive against malware which can detect new malware with heuristics, etc which many other companies don't detect. It is very good at detecting Adware too.

With the popup in the right corner, I have had that sometimes, but I don't mind it because they have to make money somewhere since they have to pay their server hosting bills, staff and other expenses. I think there is a way to disable it though if you really don't like it though, even though I don't.

1595988149839.png

Tigzy

From Adlice
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Mar 15, 2017
I personally didn't mind advertisements on the website so you could make a bit of money. But I guess you removed them due to some people complaining about it?
Yes, and also due to sometimes being misleading (some ads are big green download buttons, made on purpose)

• +Reputation
Reactions: Andrew999

Tigzy

From Adlice
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Mar 15, 2017
I always considered it an excellent second-opinion scanner, though not without its share of false positives. For instance: I just used the free scanner earlier today and it picked up HWiNFO64, which is a popular hardware monitoring utility. There was also an ad popup box in the lower right hand side of my screen during the scan, FYI.
Would you mind sharing the detection with me ?

• Wow

Tigzy

From Adlice
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Mar 15, 2017
So, the user has to exercise some judgement whenever RK flags something. I'm wondering if it still shows PUMs--potentially unwanted modifications to the registry. I believe there were like routinely four or five that are no longer picked up by RK, which is nice because it was just so much clutter in the scan report and of no importance.
Also yes the notifications can be turned off, but that's the downside of using the Free version.
Sometimes you eventually get some notifications asking for upgrading.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I ran RK again, no detections! Which is good, actually. The original HWiNFO ones are under the spoiler in post #172. Dunno what happened betw. now and last nite. Signature database is 20200729_095347 (latest as of now) I made sure HWiNFO was running b/c it drops a file into Users/AppData/Local/TEMP.

Very Nice! P.S. I could well have been running an older version before. If so, my fault for reporting this to begin with. :)
PPS: Does Bleeping Computer update their downloads very often?

rkscan2.PNG

Tigzy

From Adlice
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Mar 15, 2017
The original HWiNFO ones are under the spoiler in post #172
Oh right, didn't notice the spoiler.
The detection is from heuristics, and it makes perfect sense. Loading a kernel driver from temporary folder is highly suspicious.
I confirm the whitelist needs an update, I'll ask the team.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.