Advice Request Rollback Rx: Use it or Not

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shukla44

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
Hello,

I just won the Rollback Rx giveaway & before installing it i wanted to ask here about the limitations and compatibility issues with my system.

In the user guide, there are some limitations mentioned -

1. Hard Disk support - No Problem (I have two internal HDD but i want Rx to protect my primary HDD only. Plus I don't have SSD)
2. Booting from an external media (OS) - No Problem (Don't have)
3. Compressed Drives - No Problem (Don't have)
4. Dual Boot - No Problem (Don't have)
5. Disk Repartitioning - No Problem (Not doing)
6. Use of Defragmenter Programs - No Problem (I had Auslogics DiskDefrag but uninstalled it)

No problems with the first six, but

7. Disk Encryption Programs that intercept Low-Level Disk I/O - I don't understand, What programs?
Does it mean Kaspersky (Or other On-Demand scanners), Bitlocker, Axcrypt? Should i uninstall any?

Any help is appreciated....

Last edited:

shukla44

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
Thanks.

I read that, unfortunately after i posted. Still I need to know the answer to the last point (7) mentioned in my first post.
I followed all the steps. Uninstalled all the programs which would interfere but i need to know about Kaspersky & other On-Demand scanners which i have left, should i have to remove them as well?

I can't format my system, install Rollback Rx & build it from scratch. I can't do that, otherwise i followed all the steps. I have made a current system image of my system, in case any thing goes sideways.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
7. Disk Encryption Programs that intercept Low-Level Disk I/O - I don't understand, What programs?
Does it mean Kaspersky (Or other On-Demand scanners), Bitlocker, Axcrypt? Should i uninstall any?

These are the programs that modifies the boot properties w.r.t windows logon.
Ex: U cannot efficiently use any backup software to restore your files instead use RX only. And if your computer is infected you may not be supposed to use any rescue disk utilities to restore, Rx carries that operation too.
If you want a better explanation I would suggest you to ask the professionals @Umbra , @illumination . They have a clear image over its functions:).

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
First of all, I offer you my sincere congratulations on winning the giveaway, and I hope that you may have similar luck on future ones! :p

RollBack Rx relies on on low-level data snapshot technologies which would have been optimally used in computer clusters or servers than in isolated endpoint systems.
However, RollBack Rx incorporates proprietary techniques that make that form of data snapshot feasible in endpoint systems, by making certain adaptations of the entire snapshot procedure to increase its usability and practicality.
You may read more about the above in this Wikipedia article.

The issue here is that RollBack Rx relies extensively on certain modifications that it makes to the master boot record of your system, and that it demands that no other backup/encryption software operate on low disk level at the same time as it does - since this would lead to severe data read/write access conflicts, and as a result, to potential data corruption.
In other words, the way it handles data input and output operations in order to create the backup snapshots may interfere with the function of other software that manipulate the same data in the background (in the same disk partition), such as real-time or full disk encryption software.

As long as the configuration of your system meets the requirements of the software as presented in the official guidelines, there will be no issue.
Make sure there is no dedicated, real-time disk encryption software protecting the partitions that you want to protect with RollBack Rx, to avoid potential conflicts (conflicts may not necessarily happen, but it is highly likely that they will).

Read this official knowledgebase article over at Horizon Data Sys for more information on the subject of drive encryption software compatibility with RollBack Rx:
Is Rollback compatible with Drive Encryption software?

Last edited:

shukla44

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
Thanks a lot for this explanation @DracusNarcrym ....
It is what i have been looking for. I disabled the bitlocker, uninstalled Axcrypt & now i have no encryption software.

As precaution I uninstalled all the On-demand scanners & kaspersky. Now going ahead with the install.
Hoping for no problems.

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Thanks a lot for this explanation @DracusNarcrym ....
It is what i have been looking for. I disabled the bitlocker, uninstalled Axcrypt & now i have no encryption software.

As precaution I uninstalled all the On-demand scanners & kaspersky. Now going ahead with the install.
Hoping for no problems.
You probably will not encounter any issues with RollBack Rx.

As for encrypting your data, RollBack Rx already has integrated encryption functionality to protect all snapshots it creates.

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
Just make sure you use their disk imager (Drive Cloner Rx) to back up the system. They don't tell you, but Rollback doesn't recover from hardware failiure but I find if you take a backup with a disk imager every week you're covered. New versions also retain Rollback and the snapshots. I didn't know this until it was too late but best I can do is tell you now!

Reactions: Logethica

Fuzzfas

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 8, 2013
Does anyone know if they ever fixed TRIM not working on SSDs? Just curious. I don't intend to use it again, after it had made my PC unbootable years ago (MBR trashed).

D

Deleted member 178

still not fixed, because they deny the fact it is an issue.

Fuzzfas

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 8, 2013
still not fixed, because they deny the fact it is an issue.

Thanks for the reply. Well, i am not surprised... Of course it's not an issue to them! It's your SSD! :D

Good thing they made the home version freeware, cause i 'd never pay again for this software. One of the software licenses i used the least. Like, maybe 20 days in total. Even free i won't touch it. I prefer my SSD on top shape.

H

hjlbx

Does anyone know if they ever fixed TRIM not working on SSDs? Just curious. I don't intend to use it again, after it had made my PC unbootable years ago (MBR trashed).

No. They are never going to fix it; HDS insists that SSD TRIM is supported and functions as designed. However, HDS has never provided any evidence that proves that SSD TRIM works with Rollback RX installed. In fact, @TheRollbackFrogs tests strongly suggest that it does not work.

Fuzzfas

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 8, 2013
No. They are never going to fix it; HDS insists that SSD TRIM is supported and functions as designed. However, HDS has never provided any evidence that proves that SSD TRIM works with Rollback RX installed. In fact, @TheRollbackFrogs tests strongly suggest that it does not work.

Well, i don't know about the new tests, but when we discovered that TRIM wasn't working, it was back in Wilders (several years ago) and someone had brought in "TRIM CHECK" , a little program that checks if TRIM works (i still have the program actually). And i had run Trim Check myself on Rollback and TRIM was NOT working. So, if they didn't make any change about TRIM in the meantime, while they claim that there was never a problem, then i can't believe them.

TRIM was appearing as enabled in Windows, but it wasn't really working (because Windows couldn't see the Rollback written cells obviously and Rollback redirects all writes, so...)

chris28essex

Mar 19, 2017
Hello,

I just won the Rollback Rx giveaway & before installing it i wanted to ask here about the limitations and compatibility issues with my system.

In the user guide, there are some limitations mentioned -

1. Hard Disk support - No Problem (I have two internal HDD but i want Rx to protect my primary HDD only. Plus I don't have SSD)
2. Booting from an external media (OS) - No Problem (Don't have)
3. Compressed Drives - No Problem (Don't have)
4. Dual Boot - No Problem (Don't have)
5. Disk Repartitioning - No Problem (Not doing)
6. Use of Defragmenter Programs - No Problem (I had Auslogics DiskDefrag but uninstalled it)

No problems with the first six, but

I have a win8.1 system that uses Bitlocker on the system partition. I also tried Rollback RX to protect it and time freeze but both didn't work. I did however find that Shadow Defender did! But i use it as restore on next boot so any data on the system drive is reset and only the data on my unprotected drive is able to be modified. It works really well for a year now. I may try it on my win10.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Been using Rollback Rx Pro since I won a license from MT Giveaway. One issued I had which Rollback wasn't able to recover was when my HDD crashed. All rollbacks have errors and always starts with Checkdisk.

Take note that you can only use your license code a few times.

Reactions: shukla44

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
It would be great if Rollback RX had an option to use with Bitlocker or Vera crypt.

I looked into this, it's not RollBack It's Windows they only allow a singular level of encryption. Guy I talked to at HDS said he'd love if it were the case to have two.

One issued I had which Rollback wasn't able to recover was when my HDD crashed. All rollbacks have errors and always starts with Checkdisk.

Take note that you can only use your license code a few times.

RollBack is not a disk imager nor will it ever be, you need to still be backing up your machine with a traditional disk imager. I use their own (Drive Cloner) because it also captures the snapshots.

That's incorrect about the license, I've had it reset 30+ times ;) They limit your offline activations maybe that's what ur thinking of.

I use RollBack on my SSD no issues, I think the SSD thing boils down to how the TRIM function views the drive, but the space it views as used isn't. I think HDS could do a better job of showing this off but personally this 'issue' is mute. Do you know it was RollBack and SSD's that caused your MBR to go capoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.