System recovery
-

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I dont think theres big ( even at all ) any difference in cpu/memory usage when disabling stuff with syshardener. I think those tweaks are more security/privacy based. myself.....

I am no MS or computer expert but I use SysHardener @ default + a few other options and I experience a small but definite decrease in CPU. And I believe I can safely add that its main purpose is to reduce attack surface in the system, i.e. harden the system. One of many included options is to turn off telemetry with a corresponding reduction in what data is shared. There are also available outbound firewall rules that harden WF, plus a whole lot more. My two cents! :giggle:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
@Moonhorse
I've seen @Evjl's Rain's tests for Malwarebytes extension, and it looks very promising compared to other security extensions, but is its PUA/PUP protection useful when CFW effectively runs as an anti-exe that doesn't allow the PUA/PUP to run to begin with?

Chrome's JavaScript settings has a Block/Allow section as well, where you can whitelist entire domains. Is there a difference between disabling JavaScript in Chrome and whitelisting domains yourself, and doing the same with ScriptSafe?

Is it worth trading minimal browser memory for slower internet speeds? (AdGuard DNS vs. Cloudflare DNS w/ uBlock Origin)

@Evjl's Rain
Thanks for answering the JavaScript question before I could post this.
Does the "less work for CFW" matter if it's installed to protect my machine anyway? Malwarebytes extension would render some of CFW's capabilities redundant, and would put extra load on the machine.
The Syshardener information was very informative about the blocking of wscript, powershell, etc. Does it actually add extra security though? CFW allows everything to run, then blocks/sandboxes them, as you said, but does this make my system more vulnerable? I've yet to see a malware bypass CFW's containment.
"less work for CF" I mean malwarebytes (+browser protection + ublock) can block malwares before they can touch your harddrive. If they are missed and successfully downloaded, CF will sandbox them => you will need to decide "hmm, CF just blocks something. Is it safe? Let's do some analysis". Less work for you also. At the end, the protection rate is almost the same. 99,90% vs 99.95%

not worth it to use adguarddns on PC. Just use the fastest DNS on your PC. Use adguard DNS for your phone to block ads, especially in apps and games

syshardener can speed up your pc by disabling some vulnerable/unneeded services
syshardener will decrease vulnerability of your PC because a lot of malwares use wscript, powershell to infect and bypass our protection. If you use CF, CF will sandbox the script and let it do its bussiness (exploiting wscript, powershell) inside the sandbox without affecting the PC. There hasn't been any test with CF against browser exploits. Not sure how CF can handle that but probably, syshardener can prevent them

syshardener is a one-time app, set and forget, doesn't run in background, so zero resource consumption

you can see, my avast + SH tests. Avast alone is nowhere near KFA but when it combines with SH, there hasn't been any bypass yet because avast only has to deal with .exe malware or phishing. exe malwares can be easily blocked by avast's hardened mode. They are made for each others

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
@Evjl's Rain So what happens if I download SysHardener portable, perform the tweaks, and then delete the portable folder? I'm assuming it changes the system settings, so it shouldn't revert any changes, right?
yes, it applies the settings to your system and they stay there forever, unless you perform windows updates, which might revert some settings
you can also revert to the default settings with 1 click

you can delete syshardener's folder, no problem

if you use it, you will know how it works. Very easily
the program works similarly to OOshutup but focuses on security

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
@root/ - Yes. SysHardener for the less experienced, like myself. HardConfigurator is for more experienced users as it relies on SRP and requires more knowledge & experience. In SH you can revert all changes to MS default settings and then delete files, or keep selected tweaks and delete files, I believe.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
@Moonhorse A few questions.
What does the Malwarebytes extension block that uBlock Origin doesn't?
How does ScriptSafe differ from disabling JavaScript within Chrome?
AdGuard DNS over Cloudflare? (Cloudflare is the fastest, and most secure in North America)
CFW is already blocking a few unneeded tasks from executing, what tasks would Syshardener close in comparison?
Lemme add my 2 cents here as well

Malwarebytes has a massive effective job of blocking everything from Riskware, PUPs, Malware and more. uBlock primary function is being an adblocker, uBlock can block threats, but it's only as good as the filters being used.

ScriptSafe is something I now use again, it doesn't conflict with anything what so ever, blocking javascript outright can break websites, where as think of Scriptsafe as a whitelisting VDS of unwanted content, you can block iFrames, Javascript (yes whitelisting for sites too), Fingerprint protection (some are quite redundant though), block IMG & various other aspects.

I'd agree with you on Cloudflare. I personally use Quad9 after testing.

Syshardener has been thoroughly explained by Evjl Rain. It's main focus isto limit the attack service so exploits and various threats cannot get through, it can also block Unassociated files extensions such as VBS, VBE, JS, JSE, WSH & more. Blocks malicious files types in emails such as: DOC, DOC, XLS, VBS, JS, JSE & WSF. A whole lot more to add as well. So much to talk about the product when I've tested on a VM.

~LDogg

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
@root/ my pleasure to help you out.

Think of Malwarebytes as your first line of defence, CFW afterwards would block anything else. As it's an extension it doesn't really eat up that much CPU compared to Avira Browser Safety or Norton Safe Web/Search.

Quad9 is surprising fast as well.

~LDogg

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
@Moonhorse
Is it worth trading minimal browser memory for slower internet speeds? (AdGuard DNS vs. Cloudflare DNS w/ uBlock Origin)
Well maybe not, since adguard DNS wont stop tracking like ublock/nano does, its just alternative. Have you tried google DNS?
Personaly i dont see any difference by eye when i switch my dns. I live in europe, but i still use neustar ( us) for adult content filtering. think im gonan try cloudflare DNS now...

I completely forgot anyways syshardener main idea is harden windows firewall , whether its not that useful when you have cf running. Allthough theres option to turn off unused windows services wich i found useful.

Anyways i came up with idea having comodo cloud av + syshardener, since cloud av have auto sandbox capability

Ps. Thanks for @Evjl's Rain for clear answers and showing up here

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.