Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
@root/

Go by this approach and you'll have a high security and high privacy system

1) Hardens the security and privacy of your browser
2) Hardens your system's security and privacy
3) Hardens your Windows OS's security and privacy

Forgets about anonymity for you'll never be able to achieve that with Windows OS

Last edited:

slash/

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2018
Removed:
Symantec Endpoint Protection Cloud (Trial)
Absolutely no complaints about this software. Lightweight and efficient. I will likely purchase this in the near future.

Added:
Windows Defender Antivirus w/ Block at First Sight & PUA Protection
OSArmor

Testing:
VoodooShield again.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

A wise man once said, "More software, more problems."
I am sufficiently protected with WD (custom settings) and OSArmor. VoodooShield was overkill.

Ok sound logical. Windscribe was a good addition.

Reactions: oldschool

slash/

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jun 24, 2018
Updated to 17134.191.

Removed: Symantec Endpoint Protection Cloud (Still a lovely product, want to test CFW though)

Added: Comodo Firewall 11

Tweaks: @cruelsister variation. UAC set to Never Notify.

Reactions: Moonhorse

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Thats one of the lightest configs on MalwareTips for sure. Cruels cf is all you need with safe networking.

If you ever need / want privacy you can still have light setup .. well you know better than me what youre looking for (y)

I wish i could trust myself that much i could go with cf only, cis for now..

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I've used Cruel's CFW setups over the years, all the way back to her first CFW 8 video. It hasn't failed me once in terms of protection. Back with CFW 8, it did cause some intrusion in connecting to Steam/Blizzard servers when I wanted to play a game, but it has gotten much more compatible and smooth over the years. You can definitely trust this setup.

Privacy doesn't exist anymore. :ROFLMAO: But let's say, hypothetically, it did. How would I go about making my configuration more private while still maintaining a light setup? Keep in mind that no matter how hard anyone tries to hide, modern operating systems, software, networking, and so on, are designed to prevent consumers from hiding too much, or anything at all.
Yup, i dont mind having cis, since its pretty much builded around the firewall nowadays

I think like having private profiles in social media and that kind of stuff is smart move, having some kind of basic privacy is preferred.

But privacy from google, hiding from google its completely impossible now. Its just being paranoid, but i find it more like hobby when i read these forums

I just use scriptsafe/ no script along with ublock origin because:
- sites load much faster
- reading is more comfortable
- privacy comes with it

+ thats ublock + scriptblocker extension + maybe install malwarebytes extension to avoid pups/ pua
Its not alot more ram/ cpu consuming compared to ublock only.

Also adguard dns or adblocker built browser would be still more lighter than the current setup, also syshardener could close a few running tasks...

but im sure theres always something were missing and with coming microsoft builds it always need some kind of little tweaking to reach lightest possible setup. Also underclocking is in fashion sometimes

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
@Moonhorse A few questions.
What does the Malwarebytes extension block that uBlock Origin doesn't?
How does ScriptSafe differ from disabling JavaScript within Chrome?
AdGuard DNS over Cloudflare? (Cloudflare is the fastest, and most secure in North America)
CFW is already blocking a few unneeded tasks from executing, what tasks would Syshardener close in comparison?
For sure malwarebytes has better signatures over filters that often tend to use same lists as malwarebytes does, but malwarebytes is the one finding those threats first, im not sure if someone were talking in the browser security/ extension discussion about malwarebytes extension has heurestic ? Anyways its better blocking malware than filterlists on @Evjl's Rain recent tests, also when it comes pups/pua malwarebytes is doing better.. maybe evjl answers for this

If you disable javascript straight from chrome settings, it will cause many sites to break ( for me) . With scriptsafe you can trust entire domain but 3rd party domains gets still blocked ( privacy)

By using adguard dns i meant that you could have browser without adblocking extension ( save browser memory)
- Also brave has built in adblocker
- opera has built in adblocker ( you can add custom filters, i would prefer few annoyance filters to make sites more pleasant to read ) Built in is always better option privacy wide and also loads sites faster. Once again no extension needed for enough adlobcking

I dont think theres big ( even at all ) any difference in cpu/memory usage when disabling stuff with syshardener. I think those tweaks are more security/privacy based. You can filter out most of unassociate system files, so it works as anti-exploit without any performance loss.

Im just basic user, not advanced. These are my opinions what i have 'read' from these forums and tried myself

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
@Moonhorse A few questions.
What does the Malwarebytes extension block that uBlock Origin doesn't?
How does ScriptSafe differ from disabling JavaScript within Chrome?
AdGuard DNS over Cloudflare? (Cloudflare is the fastest, and most secure in North America)
CFW is already blocking a few unneeded tasks from executing, what tasks would Syshardener close in comparison?
my answers of his comments:
- malwarebytes has a much much better malware blocking ability than ublock with 3 million filters. Blocking malwares from downloading => less work for comodo firewall
- blocking javascript has similar effect as scriptsafe but scriptsafe can block some other elements like audio, video => I'm not a fan of scriptsafe and will never use it
- adguard dns blocks ads, a bit slow, unstable sometimes => useful for mobile devices, useless for PC
- syshardener blocks vulnerable components like wscript, powershell, some services,... very useful for average users. CF instead letss verything run then blocks/sandboxes them. Syshardener prevents them from launching
- syshardener also creates many windows firewall rules -> not helpful if you use CF and disable WF

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.