System Optimizer & History Cleaner: Auslogics Boostspeed 5.3.0.5
HDD Monitor: Hard Disk Sentinel Professional 4
Backup: EaseUS Todo Backup Workstation 4.5
Partition Manager: EaseUS Partition Master Professional
Download Manager: Internet Download Manager 6.12 Beta
Media Player: KMPlayer 3.3.0 & Media Player Classic
Archive Manager: 7-Zip 9.27 Alpha
UAC: Off

Any suggestions on how to improve my security setup? Your opinion and help would be greatly appreciated :blush:

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
You could add LastPass to your setup. Apart from that I like it. Keep up the great work.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
These are just my suggestions to what I would do, not saying you have to apply all these changes.
- Remove Kingsoft PC Doctor
- Remove WOT

- Add Fanboy Adblock List for Internet Explorer 9
- Turn On UAC (default)

VIPRE is capable of protecting you.

Roti

Thread author
Feb 6, 2012
McLovin said:
You could add LastPass to your setup. Apart from that I like it. Keep up the great work.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've used LastPass before, and had to remove it since my google chrome kept crashing. I don't generally save any form of password in my browser and would usually clean up history/cookies/saved password/auto-fill/cache every time I turn on my computer. :)

Earth said:
These are just my suggestions to what I would do, not saying you have to apply all these changes.
- Remove WOT

- Turn On UAC (default)

Thanks for the suggestion. But I don't see any reason why Kingsoft PC Doctor should be removed as it runs alongside VIPRE quite comfortably. It's kinda hard for me to remove a free cleaner with an add on anti-malware cloud utility. And I have already removed WOT.

I don't usually use Internet Explorer 9, just for back up in case something bad happens to Google Chrome. But yeah I've just added Fanboy Adblock List for Internet Explorer 9.

I spend most of time working with command line and turning on UAC will only slow down my activity. But anyway thanks again for the suggestion guys. I'll definitely keep those in mind. ;)

I

illumination

Earth said:
- Remove WOT

- Turn On UAC (default)

Well said Earth and I agree...

Vipre will be enough, depending on how it is configured, if you run it in "learning mode" as well as turning a few of the "advanced" features, it is a quite capable suite! I personally would not only turn on the "UAC" but would have it set to max also. Other then this, the config looks great!

Of course how you run your system is up to you, this is just opinions and advice! ;):D

Roti

Thread author
Feb 6, 2012
NSG001 said:
Lookin' good roti :)

Thanks MSG :)

ZeroDay said:
Nice config rotti,

You could add a custom hosts file such as Mvps and also a secure dns such as Norton dns or Comodo secure dns .

Hmm..Mvps and Comodo secure dns definitely sound nice..I'm gonna take a quick look on those, thanks ZeroDay :)

thewolfsmith72 said:
Earth said:
- Remove WOT

- Turn On UAC (default)

Well said Earth and I agree...

Vipre will be enough, depending on how it is configured, if you run it in "learning mode" as well as turning a few of the "advanced" features, it is a quite capable suite! I personally would not only turn on the "UAC" but would have it set to max also. Other then this, the config looks great!

Of course how you run your system is up to you, this is just opinions and advice! ;):D

Yes, I've tried both advanced and learning modes, and have already configured its HIPS and spam features. Thanks for the suggestions wolfsmith :D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Solid configuration there, Vipre is one of the good suites out there. Since your an advance user then you can take their own HIPS feature.

Roti

Thread author
Feb 6, 2012
WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
For having a low security risk, that's a pretty good configuration. I can find nothing to add.

jamescv7 said:
Solid configuration there, Vipre is one of the good suites out there. Since your an advance user then you can take their own HIPS feature.

Thanks win and james. I've tried both Comodo & Norton DNS and unfortunately both of them were blocking random websites which I regularly visit. I had several problems too: my email was unable to send attachments, random HTML 404 error codes, and I was unable to connect to FTP server at all. My internet speed is only 1Mbps, so any slowing down of streaming video or websites loading time will not be tolerated. I guess I'll have to find better alternatives. :read:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.