Advice Request Router built-in security

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Back3

Level 14
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I have an antivirus on my PC and outbound hardened firewall rules. But nowadays, router security is boosted by built-in security like firewall, antivirus, parental controls... My Asus router comes with a lifetime licence to Trend Micro to protect my network. I checked and TP-Link has 3 year protection also with Trend Micro, D-Link is protected by Mcafee....
More and more devices are getting connected to our routers like some detectors, alarm systems, locks, phones.... I already have 9 devices....

Should I enable the built-in antivirus that comes with my router to protect my network and my devices?

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

I never own such a router but also never get any problems nor infection's.
My router is an Fritzbox 7590 from AVM and they're very good maintained which is btw a lot more important then some fancy "Anti" software which itself increase attack surface.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
The router protections do some web filtering, but mainly do protection for IoT devices. I tend to enable it. Just know that Trend Micro sends urls for analysis home with their filtering. Personally I don’t have a problem with it, a lot of other people panicked about it.

KonradPL

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
May 1, 2018
The router protections do some web filtering, but mainly do protection for IoT devices. I tend to enable it. Just know that Trend Micro sends urls for analysis home with their filtering. Personally I don’t have a problem with it, a lot of other people panicked about it.
true.
it's funny when people are afraid of anti-virus filtering websites and they use unreliable vpn or other programs or visit dubious websites

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It's optional.

Before using Trend Micro (ASUS AIProtection), you will have to Agree to their Terms/PrivacyPolicy/EULA. The article (2017) linked below raises some of the privacy concerns around using these types of network protections. Make your own opinion about it.

How it works - [AiProtection] How does AiProtection protect my home network? | Official Support | ASUS Global
Firstly, by scanning your router’s setup for dangerous loopholes, and then removing those vulnerabilities, AiProtection prevents insecurity in your home gateway. Secondly, during internet activity, AiProtection, with Trend Micro’s state-of-the-art web reputation service (WRS) and DPI, uninterruptedly protects and safeguards you from unwittingly accessing dangerous websites. And finally, AiProtection mitigates against intrusion from a variety of cyber threats: malware, malicious websites, and system vulnerabilities. Moreover, alerts are raised when a device on your network is compromised and exhibits suspicious behavior.It m

Stumbled across this website, it may be useful, but DYOR.

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
If you have not yet you should update your router firmware has it does fix an important vulnerability. Also make sure Enable UPnP is turned off.
Version 3.0.0.4.382.51641

2019/11/05 37.55 MBytes

ASUS RT-AC56R Firmware version 3.0.0.4.382.51641
Fixed a DDoS vulnerability

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: b32190074e2133b8f6d779f3d6c779ef
The option to install Asuswrt-merlin would have improved your routers security but sadly it looks like
your model is no longer supported in the latest release.
Home | Asuswrt-Merlin (asuswrt-merlin.net)

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
You guys are crazy! Why would you change your router if it's working well? Just because it stopped getting updates? That's ridiculous!
You don't change your Android phone every two years, why would you change the router then?

Up until a month ago I was using router my ISP gave me back in 2013. I have never got a single one FW update; it didn't bother me then and still doesn't bother me now. The reason I bought my own recently isn't security, it's speed because that router couldn't provide not even half the speed I'm paying for.

Just make sure UPnP is turned off if you're not using it, change router access password regularly and you have nothing to worry about. It's not like your network is accessible from the outside and there are bunch of people just waiting to hijack your home network.

And now, seriously, when was the last time you heard or witnessed someone being hacked via (obsolete) router FW? I, personally, never.

Last edited:

Templarware

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Mar 13, 2021
Modern routers now have that AV protection, of course you should enable it. It protects not only your PC, but your entire network, TVs, phones, toasters, anything that can connect to the internet.
One more reason for Windows Defender and uBlock being more than enough nowadays.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
I have it also enabled. Especially the detection of unpatched/vulnarable IOT devices adds some extra protection IMO.

I have a triband TP-Link router with lifetime trend micro protection. One 5ghz band is used for work, other for personal devices. All IOT devices are on the third 2.4 ghz network (which also facilitates the guest network).

IMO extra router security is a bonus feature, not one of the key differentiating product features.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
First of all, people here gave no advice rather just personal experience, final decision it's always up to the user ;)

More on topic, router-security in form of maintenance by vendors will be even more important to everyone in the future, so it's better to avoid using very outdated routers for almost 10 years, except anyone haven't enough money to purchase, but it's always worth consider a new router for higher tech standard like improved speed, WLAN, etc., even if anyone don't worry about new security features, I don't mean stuff like "powered by AV ..."

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.