Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBlue262

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 24, 2015
Would it make any difference for my download speed if I were to get a router rated at 340mbps or a router rated at 960mbps?
My current plan is Time Warner Cable 300mbps internet plan. I am wondering if the router I choose will effect my download speed because both routers exceed the speed I have purchased for my plan and I'm not sure if it would matter if I purchased the 340mbps rather then the 960mbps. Would it make a difference?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I think that 300 Mbps routers are the ones to aim for. They are not expensive and there are some common laptop and desktop adapters that will support the increased data rate. I don’t recommend buying anything with a higher data rate unless you are absolutely, positively sure you have or are going to buy devices that can use it.

Source (Read More)

It is all about the data rate or transfer through WiFI, usually it affects from the performance; so for standard cases according to the article then go something beyond 300 MBPS.

Reactions: TheBlue262

TheBlue262

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 24, 2015
I'm still confused. In what situation should I choose the 340mbps rather then the 960mbps? Will I notice a speed difference if my plan only gives 300mbps?

arslan ejaz

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 5, 2015
Well If your Internet speed is 300Mbps and you only want to browse internet then i recommend you to buy the router which offers speeds between 350-450Mbps and if you want to stream media in your home e.g cast videos to your Smart TV or home theater or file sharing between devices then the 960Mbps router should be usable otherwise the 350-450Mbps routers should work fine. :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@TheBlue262: That is because you cannot max out everything, having 900 MBPS router is a bad idea when your internet speed is 300 MBPS cause the maximum can provide will never reach more than 300+.

Reactions: TheBlue262

TheBlue262

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 24, 2015
Well If your Internet speed is 300Mbps and you only want to browse internet then i recommend you to buy the router which offers speeds between 350-450Mbps and if you want to stream media in your home e.g cast videos to your Smart TV or home theater or file sharing between devices then the 960Mbps router should be usable otherwise the 350-450Mbps routers should work fine. :)
Why would the 960mbps benefit me more if I were to stream media if my plan only provides 300mbps?

arslan ejaz

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 5, 2015
Why would the 960mbps benefit me more if I were to stream media if my plan only provides 300mbps?
If you want to stream videos from your mobile to your home theater etc or share files in addition to browse Internet bcz if you are using 300Mbps router and you are downloading something then there will be no bandwidth left so in that way 960Mbps router should work

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.