RSA is dead... what now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeNukesEm

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Sep 14, 2016
Before we would use RSA to safely communicate with each other. RSA was gold when it came out, but in recent years it has been killed off completely, yet people still use it. A new pub/priv key cryptosystem must be made so that all our stuff is actually encrypted. RSA does absolutely nothing but prevents script kiddies from doing man in the middle attacks. Is there another cryptosystem in development? Is there already a replacement? If not, what do we do? We gotta get to work!

Sources
NSA seeks to build quantum computer that could crack most types of encryption

NSA Utah Data Center - Serving Our Nation's Intelligence Community

Researchers Break RSA 4096 Encryption With Just A Microphone And A Couple Of Emails

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Did you read the article rather than just the headline? Nothing in these says RSA is "killed off completely".

Your defense, in this case, would be TEMPEST.

LukeNukesEm

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Sep 14, 2016
Did you read the article rather than just the headline? Nothing in these says RSA is "killed off completely".

Your defense, in this case, would be TEMPEST.
The articles don't say that RSA is dead. But that doesn't change the fact RSA is now crackable, easily. So you put 2 and 2 together and RSA is clearly not secure.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
The articles don't say that RSA is dead. But that doesn't change the fact RSA is now crackable, easily. So you put 2 and 2 together and RSA is clearly not secure.
What about that was "easily" to you?

It was on one targeted machine and requires physical access to the machine. The other article was future plans. You need to read *all* of the text.

Reactions: Ink

LukeNukesEm

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Sep 14, 2016
What about that was "easily" to you?

It was on one targeted machine and requires physical access to the machine. The other article was future plans. You need to read *all* of the text.
The easy part? The NSA has a supercomputer that can crack RSA in seconds. Sounds very easy to me.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
The easy part? The NSA has a supercomputer that can crack RSA in seconds. Sounds very easy to me.
Apparently easier to you than to read the article, which say the opposite of what you are saying.

The NSA has no such computer; they are looking to build one.

Even so, to quote:
That quantum computer, however, would never be useful for breaking public key encryption like RSA.

LukeNukesEm

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Sep 14, 2016
Apparently easier to you than to read the article, which say the opposite of what you are saying.

The NSA has no such computer; they are looking to build one.

Even so, to quote:
Yes, the NSA is building a supercomputer for that. But from what we know, it seems they already have it, the NSA is known for lying. With all the money and personel they have, it is easy to say they have that supercomputer already. Again the NSA lies about everything, we know this from snowden. Also you seem worked up and upset over if RSA is dead... I have to ask why you have an emotional connection to RSA.

"
It’s hard to say. Presumably for security reasons, the Times was quite vague about the NSA’s specific capabilities. In some cases, the NSA got around encryption through partnerships with companies. Other times, they apparently cracked the encryptions with supercomputers.

It is possible the NSA simply partnered with banks to find a backdoor through their encryption schemes. Furthermore, security expert Bruce Schneier, who worked with the Guardian on the same story, said, based on the documents he saw, that the “math is good.” That would seem to imply that he wasn't shown anything to indicate the NSA figured out a prime factorization shortcut.

That said, if anyone could crack it, it’s the U.S. government. The Department of Defense spends $11 billion a year on cryptanalysis, employing some 35,000 people full time to the task—easily one of the most powerful mathematical armies in the world.

If nothing else, the incident stands as a reminder that in many case, our most private transactions on the Internet hinge on simple mathematical problems like prime factorization that, on a small scale, can be solved by a child. Whether or not that simplicity scales up to the large integers that secure online communications, no one knows—except, perhaps, the NSA."

Reactions: RXZ6Q

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
"Emotional connection"--what!?

If you're going to ignore the text and make up your own "facts", then there is nothing I, or anyone else, can say to you.

Nothing is "dead" or "broken". You--and your tin foil--are safe. ;)

LukeNukesEm

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Sep 14, 2016
"Emotional connection"--what!?

If you're going to ignore the text and make up your own "facts", then there is nothing I, or anyone else, can say to you.

Nothing is "dead" or "broken". You--and your tin foil--are safe. ;)
Since when did this turn into a conspiracy? xD

I'll take your word on that. When do you think RSA will be cracked? (Easily)

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
I'll take your word on that. When do you think RSA will be cracked? (Easily)
I have no idea; I retired from that years ago and haven't looked back.

Whatever the case, there will always be a new mechanism...until that's cracked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.