Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Admin account or standard user account on Windows?

I have not changed my setup very much since Vista, the only recent change is dropping Chrome for Edge-chromium. So there is really no need for me to keep on using my admin account for daily work. Still I am hesitating to to start using a standard account again. Again because in XP-times I have used a standard account for some time. So what is holding me back? Therefore I am interested to know what the considerations, preferences and oprinions are of MT-members regarding admin account versus standard user account,

Feel free to post your opinion and vote

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
You might need elevated privileges often, for instance, to run a system image backup, to open Hard_Configurator, or to install an update, etc etc.
So you will need an easy password or pin for your admin account. You have just lowered your security right there...

blackice

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
You might need elevated privileges often, for instance, to run a system image backup, to open Hard_Configurator, or to install an update, etc etc.
So you will need an easy password or pin for your admin account. You have just lowered your security right there...

I run SUA with a long Admin password. At times it has been a pain. Currently I've been trying a short pin. It’s a desktop and I’m the only one who uses it, so it’s not quite as risky. Still some days I open the admin account and am tempted to switch my daily account back to admin...and then I remember it’s no big deal typing a bit extra here and there. The biggest problem is getting things to run at startup as SUA.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Standard User Account. After a long period of avoiding Windows, I made one shortly after starting to again use a PC and my Windows education process. It's no big deal to enter admin password as needed. I can take care of most administrator tasks this way, other than for some MS settings that have no reason to change often anyway. It works for the wife, myself and rarely her visiting sister.

Edit: I even do imaging from SUA. No problemo.

Last edited:

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Since I knew how to hold a mouse I am using admin account, because what I do mostly with my computer(s) can fall into low-security-risk behavior bucket.
Standard accounts are made for people who don't know what they are doing or for business enviroments where employies need some restrictions...

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
For a single-user on a Personal device, I see no reason not to operate as an Admin account.

No matter what OS (Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, iOS) or Account restrictions (Standard, Kiosk, Guest) you operate under, the risks of ID Theft, Hacks, Breaches, Scams affects every single user.

As mentioned in other posts above, limited accounts are suited better towards enterprise networks (SMB, educational institutes, health care, critical infrastructures etc.) to prevent the spread of malware and unauthorised access to data.

blackice

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
For a single-user on a Personal device, I see no reason not to operate as an Admin account.

No matter what OS (Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, iOS) or Account restrictions (Standard, Kiosk, Guest) you operate under, the risks of ID Theft, Hacks, Breaches, Scams affects every single user.

As mentioned in other posts above, limited accounts are suited better towards enterprise networks (SMB, educational institutes, health care, critical infrastructures etc.) to prevent the spread of malware and unauthorised access to data.

This is the thinking that consistently has me considering going back to an admin account. Especially since I have fairly low risk usage. I ran an admin account for over 10 years, using MSE even, and never had any sign of infection.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
SUA is like the seat belts in the car. The users who have no choice, will accept them after some time and will say that seat belts are necessary for security reasons. The users who have a choice to not using the seat belts, will not use them at all.
The true reasons for using admin account are probably the below:
  1. Admin account is simply more convenient, and this is the main reason. Most users believe it as a primary property of their security setup, and will try to cover the security holes with some other software (anti-exe, another AV, etc.). They torture their computers and spend much time to learn/try several security applications. This is more interesting than writing an admin password a few times per day. But from a practical viewpoint, this is inefficient and time-consuming, because SUA + any AV + simple hardening can give similar protection (but is so boring ...).
  2. Admin account is a default Windows account, so average users did not even hear about SUA.
  3. Most users have a habit to clean the house once a week, but hate to spend one hour a week to update software and make some admin work on admin account.
  4. The users hate to split the daily work: some unsafe work on SUA, and the rest on admin account. This requires too much discipline and organization.
  5. Many users constantly install (for curiosity or fun) unnecessary applications with admin rights. SUA cannot help them much.
  6. MT members rarely use SUA because they constantly experiment with security software which requires admin rights (SUA is not efficient for them).
  7. Some MT members are software developers and they have to use admin privileges frequently (using SUA would be inefficient).
  8. Some MT members use software cracks with admin rights, so SUA will not protect them more than admin account.
  9. There are some applications which do not work properly on SUA (rarely).
Please let me know if I missed something.
On the other hand, If everyone would use SUA, then it was not as safe as it is now.:giggle: (y)

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
SUA is like the seat belts in the car. The users who have no choice, will accept them after some time and will say that seat belts are necessary for security reasons. The users who have a choice to not using the seat belts, will not use them at all.
  1. Admin account is simply more convenient, and this is the main reason. Most users believe it as a primary property of their security setup, and will try to cover the security holes with some other software (anti-exe, another AV, etc.). They torture their computers and spend much time to learn/try several security applications. This is more interesting than writing an admin password a few times per day. But from a practical viewpoint, this is inefficient and time-consuming, because SUA + any AV + simple hardening can give similar protection (but is so boring ...).
  2. Admin account is a default Windows account, so average users did not even hear about SUA.
  3. Most users have a habit to clean the house once a week, but hate to spend one hour a week to update software and make some admin work on admin account.
  4. The users hate to split the daily work: some unsafe work on SUA, and the rest on admin account. This requires too much discipline and organization.
  5. Many users constantly install (for curiosity or fun) unnecessary applications with admin rights. SUA cannot help them much.
  6. MT members rarely use SUA because they constantly experiment with security software which requires admin rights (SUA is not efficient for them).
  7. Some MT members are software developers and they have to use admin privileges frequently (using SUA would be inefficient).
  8. Some MT members use software cracks with admin rights, so SUA will not protect them more than admin account.
On the other hand, If everyone would use SUA, then it was not as safe as it is now.:giggle: (y)
I feel empowered when I am in an Admin account. :)

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Well, I am a person who tries Programs my Av with Malwares. But not in SUA.
I do it in the administrator account in Shadows Defender.

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Running standard user account. I do not install a lot of new software, so that’s not a problem for me. I like operating in a low-risk environment. I decided to drop COMODO for my system substituting it with some registry tweaks, in order to mitigate the most common risks I could encounter, and run on standard user account. My PC has a really good performance, and I feel safe

blackice

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I would be completely satisfied using a SUA with admin pin if I could consistently get a couple apps to run at startup. Obviously MSI afterburner runs with admin rights, so it’s safer not to let it run at startup and it’s easy enough to run as needed. Just a minor annoyance. I am very glad 1903 seems to consistently allow the use of a pin. It used to be incredibly inconsistent.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I use an administrator account 24/7. My reasons are simple: if it's a software I want to execute, then I'm gonna enter my admin PIN using SUA or it will grant permissions using my admin account. Same result. If it's something I didn't want to execute and it's trying to auto-elevate, it's not gonna run due to my restriction policies and anti-execution configurations.

Given these scenarios, there's no need for me to use SUA.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I use an administrator account 24/7. My reasons are simple: if it's a software I want to execute, then I'm gonna enter my admin PIN using SUA or it will grant permissions using my admin account. Same result. If it's something I didn't want to execute and it's trying to auto-elevate, it's not gonna run due to my restriction policies and anti-execution configurations.

Given these scenarios, there's no need for me to use SUA.
Shortly. You are used to working on admin account and have covered the holes related to admin account. This probably took much time, effort and learning, but the work is already done so there is no need to change it.:giggle:(y)

L

Local Host

Even though SUA tends to be more secure, it would add nothing to my personal security. As there's no malware on my computer to exploit the fact I use a admin account in the first place.

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
I'm using "admin" but always in my security setup try to use something to lower privileges of specific apps - internet browser, PDF reader, notepad, media browser/player. Depends of setup there are e.g. "Limited rights" in SpyShelter, "Run Safer" in OA, "Restricted rights" in PFW or DropMyRights in other cases.
In connection to SD use it's enough for me.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.