Advice Request Running Eset Smart Security with Spyshelter Firewall

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

ethereal1

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 17, 2019
I want to have both of these softwares running on my new pc but I heard that having two anti-viruses or firewalls is a bad idea. there is compatibility problems with running those softwares together?. I would have to disable the firewall of one of them?, if so which one of them should i disable?. the spyshelter firewall is a two-way firewall , the eset smart security is also two-way firewall?, there are serious differences between the two?.

I downloaded the free trial of the premium version of spyshelter and I really like how spyshelter gives you full awareness for anything that happens in your pc and have the potential to steal information from you pc but I also want an anti-virus like eset that give you more wide range protection like UEFI scanning.

ethereal1

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 17, 2019
Running 2 HIPS, crazy idea...
I don't have much of a choice, apparently ESET anti-virus doesn't detect unknown keyloggers even when the keylogger's creator try to make HIPS rules to detect his keylogger without any success.
It seems like the only real anti-keylogger feature on ESET anti-virus is some kind of a protected browser that is used for credit card payments and banking but pretty much useless for people who use services like paypal or use anything important like email on his regular browsers.

lets say i buy only the spyshelter premium and not the spyshelter firewall and stay with only the ESET firewall, what will happen if i will have both eset and spyshelter?.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevi

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
I don't have much of a choice, apparently ESET anti-virus doesn't detect unknown keyloggers even when the keylogger's creator try to make HIPS rules to detect his keylogger without any success.
It seems like the only real anti-keylogger feature on ESET anti-virus is some kind of a protected browser that is used for credit card payments and banking but pretty much useless for people who use services like paypal or use anything important like email on his regular browsers.

lets say i buy only the spyshelter premium and not the spyshelter firewall and stay with only the ESET firewall, what will happen if i will have both eset and spyshelter?.
Can't you simply use software like keyscrambler? As far as I know it doesn't have HIPS so it might not conflict with ESET.

ethereal1

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 17, 2019
You still have 2 HIPS each dropping its own drivers. if you can't block an exe with ESET's HIPS better nor use ESET.
what do you mean by "dropping its own drivers"?, they will hurt each others ability to detect spyware like keyloggers?.
can't I just disable something in the ESET anti virus like HIPS if it just cause problems with other security software?.
I already bought ESET anti-virus and heard a lot of good things on this anti virus(at least before I saw that forum thread) and I want a regular anti-virus that can detect other malwares and not just spyware.
Can't you simply use software like keyscrambler? As far as I know it doesn't have HIPS so it might not conflict with ESET.
I am thinking about doing it, but I hope to get something that can also detect suspicious activity from spywares without giving up on my ESET anti-virus which wasn't cheap.

Reactions: Nevi

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Don't. Just use ESET's firewall on interactive mode for pop-ups and alerts and set HIPS also for alerts. What you want to do is not good and doesn't make much sense. Use either one or the other.

Reactions: Nevi and mlnevese

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
SS offers much more than anty-keylogger and system protection (HIPS). Of course you can disable such protection on main screen or...for me it's better solution...make "auto allow for trusted" for needed actions from the list of monitored. But generaly I think it's a bit artificial solution - if you want to add SS to some internet security app (ESET also) probably better is to buy Premium version.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.