Running malware software along Anti-Virus!

Is the new Ad-Adware a good choice to run with your Anti-Virus in real time??

• Good Choice

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Bad Choice

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • Neutral

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! I'm sure this has been posted before, but I can't find it on the forum. I run MSE and Malwarebytes Pro in real time on my PC. I believe that that just a anti-Virus is not enough in these days and you need another layer of protection. I purchased MBAM several years ago and I have the life time license (24.95).
Now you have to pay every year.
My question for all you , is ad-adware free any good to run in real time with your Anti-Virus?
I live in a retirement center, where I help seniors with their printers and computers. Seniors are on a limited income and so I'm looking for the best way to protect their PC's and the cheapest.
I know that MBAM is probably the best to run with your Anti-Virus, but would like to hear your thoughts about Ad-Adware. It seems to be improved. I ran it with my Anti-Virus years ago before I started using MBAM and it did a good job. Would like to hear your thoughts! Not sure how to start a poll. Maybe staff could help!
Combining our legendary anti-spyware with a powerful antivirus, Ad-Aware Free Antivirus+ enhances them with real-time protection, download protection and continuously updated filters against malicious URLs, providing top-of-the-line anti-malware protection for the casual computer user.
http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
Ad-aware uses the Bitdefender core engine (signatures). However, from my own experience Ad-Aware is nowhere close to Bitdefender in effectiveness because Ad-Aware cannot access Bitdefender's cloud and its more advanced proactive protections. If you are considering Ad-Aware as a low cost antivirus for seniors, you would be better off with Bitdefender free. It is completely free and best of all (since they are seniors) it requires no configurations.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hey Tony! You are very fast! I'm talking about running a program along with Avast or Avira or another Anti-Virus program.
I'm talking about another layer of protection to run in real time with your Anti-Virus!
Thanks for your reply!

Y

yigido

Ad-Aware is bad choice IMO.
If your costumers and you want free protection. There is lots of options in the market.
You said "we are old guys!" so you all want a slient antivirus ;) That is not creates pop-ups but with good detection and protection.
In first step I will offer you Avira Free Antivirus which is good on detection (even on adwares)
and then my second option is for you Avast Free Antivirus , it has more feature than Avira (HTTP&HTTPS scanning, DeepScreen, NG etc)
AVG Free Antivirus another option. These 3 brothers are so good for you. If you pay some attention while surfing you won't be infected with these. Your another layer is your common-sense. Maybe you will think to add an adblocker all your browsers and free Malwarebytes is OK. You can make weekly scans.
Cheers, yigido

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
You can run Malwarebytes alongside those, I use to always run Malwarebytes Pro with avast!
That's what I'm running now, but with MSE. I'm looking for a free version to run with a Anti-Virus. The only free version I have found is Ad-Adware!! MBAM Pro is better, but sense they don't ofter a life time version, I'm looking for a cheaper option for seniors!
I don't think everyone is understanding what I'm asking.
I want another layer of protection to run in real time with a Anti-Virus program!
Anti-Virus is no longer enough and you need another layer of protection like MBAM to run in real time.
I'm just asking if Ad-Adware is any good. I know MBAB is better. I'm looking for cheap!

Y

yigido

That's what I'm running now, but with MSE. I'm looking for a free version to run with a Anti-Virus. The only free version I have found is Ad-Adware!! MBAM Pro is better, but sense they don't ofter a life time version, I'm looking for a cheaper option for seniors!
I don't think everyone is understanding what I'm asking.
I want another layer of protection to run in real time with a Anti-Virus program!
Anti-Virus is no longer enough and you need another layer of protection like MBAM to run in real time.
I'm just asking if Ad-Adware is any good. I know MBAB is better. I'm looking for cheap!
If your AV will be good, there will be no more job for another layer of protection.
Your antivirus will do most of the job itself. and Weekly scan with MBAM Free.
You all OK.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! Guys and Gals! I help seniors for free. I never charge. I never will. I know about Avast, Avira and AVG.
They are all free and are all good.
I'm looking for a free program to run in real time with them.
MBAM has become to expensive. No more life time license. Ad-Adware is free!!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Would you consider using something that runs on-demand? Such as Eset Online Scanner.

I've recently returned to Windows Defender from avast! Free 2015, but kept on using Sandboxie Free.

MSE/WD doesn't necessarily require a secondary real-time Antivirus/Anti-malware, I would explore other security software. For example, Unchecky, Sandboxie.

Both Lavasoft and Bitdefender require an account to be created for activation.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
WOW! Thanks for the great replies. Yes you can run MBAB free on demand and that's good. It will find malware and quarantine it, but I'm looking for a software that will keep it from getting on in the first place. I know all about safe surfing and I teach my seniors about that and install WOT on their browsers.
The replies have been great. I wasn't expecting this kind of response. I have a big day tomorrow, but will be back again latter.

Reactions: Kent

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Actually let's compare Ad Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy because before long time its an anti-spyware design to be alongside with AV however in today generation its considered as full blown products.

MBAM design to be alongside to your AV since doesn't have drivers that acts to be full AV program.

Ad aware is fine security program but far to compare on other well known products, the problem is there's different on licensing a signature engine than complete package.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Thanks! I know all about on line scanners. I'm wanting a program to run in real time along side a Anti-Virus program like Avast or Avira!

Y

yigido

WOW! Thanks for the great replies. Yes you can run MBAB free on demand and that's good. It will find malware and quarantine it, but I'm looking for a software that will keep it from getting on in the first place. I know all about safe surfing and I teach my seniors about that and install WOT on their browsers.
The replies have been great. I wasn't expecting this kind of response. I have a big day tomorrow, but will be back again latter.
No problem..Have a good day with your seniors!

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
Hi! Guys and Gals! I help seniors for free. I never charge. I never will. I know about Avast, Avira and AVG.
They are all free and are all good.
I'm looking for a free program to run in real time with them.
MBAM has become to expensive. No more life time license. Ad-Adware is free!!

Hi
I don't understand why is so important to run an antimalware product along with your antivirus.
From my experience all you get from these kind of combination is system slow down or delay system start up.
If you like to use free software i suggest you Qihoo 360 Internet or Total security or avast free along with a good firewall.
And i explain why i'm telling you this:

1) We all know that MSE literally sucks as it's detection rate is really low, plus there is no behavior blocker or something else to protect you from unknown threats.
2) If you install Qihoo 360 you will get TOP detection and very good defense against unknown threats.No second layer of security will be necessary
3) In case of Avast you will get good detection and IF you tweak the settings you will also have very good defense...No second layer of security will be necessary.
Now depending on your PC usage habits a firewall will complete your security:
1) Private Firewall: Very user friendly and very effective.It will not slow down your PC and it will ''lock'' your security. It will not cause you problems like Comodo firewall which sandboxes a lot of applications (maybe the one you use also) causing crashes or at least not functioning well.
2) Another great app is Voodoo Shield. Totally free and very effective to stop almost all unknown threats.

Final Conclusion:
I read that you help other people with PC security so that means that you have experience.
In that case a very good free antivirus will do the job for you:
Your Experience+ good free antivirus= solid security, and this is my personal opinion.

I hope i helped you

Last edited:

Tani

Level 9
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
it's the best choice, I even use it with my eset smart security, it's the best though if you use free version of mbam that would also be enough when it comes to kaspersky or eset. it gives us a bit more relief by having an extra layer of protection, doesn't impacts much on performance though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.