Russia hacked Olympic computers and routers but tried to frame North Korea

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Already ahead of you brother. My entire home infrastructure is primarily locked down BSD, Debian, Linux. ChromeOS. A few AndroidOS devices. The primary reason for this is security and privacy, they are all very very quiet little friends. Also since they are already quite heavily secured, it's trivial to add additional lockdowns and once you place them behind a UTM/NGFW they become virtually bulletproof. There are only 3 actively used Windows Systems in the home maintained for gamers, and the security theater is still being played on all of those.

However, I do have the Windows Systems segregated by physical zones away from the primary network or other devices. That should tell you exactly how much I trust Windows - which is ZERO. I won't even give those Windows boxes user-space access to the UTM Admin. The only thing they can talk to on the local network is my DNS server and that's limited to the DNS protocol only, to a specific IP, with IDS DPI scanning of DNS traffic to ensure no DNS malformation activity.

One of the most paranoid guys I work with (and no, I am not that person) has gone back to using a locked rolodex on his desk at home for password storage. He constantly mumbles things like 'it's all broken, it's all compromised, we have no hope' as he wanders these hallowed halls.
That settles it for me.Now I've got 2 decisions to make 1. Linux or BSD I'm a lot more familiar with Linux based distros but I really like the idea of BSD.
2. When I've decided between BSD and Linux which distro to use I'm familiar with pretty much every Linux distro. Fedora is out of the question as they're owned by Red Hat, Ubuntu maybe out the question with the parent company being British. I know it's open source but I don't won't to swap one evil for another. I know all the distros well, but whatever I decide it will be the only OS on this system,no dual or multi booting and no Windows even in a virtual machine. I might try both BSD and a few Linux distros until I decide. You've gone down the right path segregating the Windows systems and switching all your other machines and devices.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

That settles it for me.Now I've got 2 decisions to make 1. Linux or BSD I'm a lot more familiar with Linux based distros but I really like the idea of BSD.
2. When I've decided between BSD and Linux which distro to use I'm familiar with pretty much every Linux distro. Fedora is out of the question as they're owned by Red Hat, Ubuntu maybe out the question with the parent company being British. I know it's open source but I don't won't to swap one evil for another. I know all the distros well, but whatever I decide it will be the only OS on this system,no dual or multi booting and no Windows even in a virtual machine. I might try both BSD and a few Linux distros until I decide. You've gone down the right path segregating the Windows systems and switching all your other machines and devices.

Look into Mageia distro. It was originally funded by the Spanish Govt. as a secure operating system for their govt. systems and institutions, but now is forked off. It's quite secure out of the box, performs self-security audits you can schedule, etc. Running any kind of security programs on these types of systems is a total waste of time. Don't even bother looking for any or wasting a second on them.

Home of the Mageia project

I'd never use Windows again if there was a viable gaming alternative. As it is, we're stuck with it on a couple of systems, but whatever, we'll just make those systems Default-Deny, highly annoying to use, and stop wasting money on security theater.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Look into Mageia distro. It was originally funded by the Spanish Govt. as a secure operating system for their govt. systems and institutions, but now is forked off. It's quite secure out of the box, performs self-security audits you can schedule, etc. Running any kind of security programs on these types of systems is a total waste of time. Don't even bother looking for any or wasting a second on them.

Home of the Mageia project

I'd never use Windows again if there was a viable gaming alternative. As it is, we're stuck with it on a couple of systems, but whatever, we'll just make those systems Default-Deny, highly annoying to use, and stop wasting money on security theater.
Great,thanks.That's one distro I've never used and it sounds great so I'll check that out. When I secure Linux Distros I compile and build custom kernels with extra security features. That and a few tweaks inside the OS and I'm away, So this Mageia distro could be perfect for me. Thanks again.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.