Petrovic

Level 64
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
Microsoft's Windows software is used around the world by everyone from consumers to governments - the footprint of Windows is massive. But if you live in Russia, your dependence on Windows might be about to stagnate if the government has its way.

Thanks to political tension between the United States and Russia, along with newly announced sanctions by the US, Russia is looking to strike back at the US economy by limiting its use of Microsoft software. Microsoft was not alone in being called out as IBM, HP and Oracle will also be affected as well.

A new bill is being drafted that will push government agencies, along with state-run enterprises, to favor local providers of software and hardware. The idea is that the government should support its local vendors by purchasing their software and hardware as opposed to imported goods from the US. It is not clear if there are credible Russian-based alternatives to Windows, and other software/hardware vendors that offer the same level of features and security.

According to the report, the bill aims solely to give preference to local vendors; it does not outright ban the use of imported products.

“This all has to do with sanctions,” Andrey Chernogorov, executive secretary of the commission, said in a phone interview. “Given the current international tensions, substituting imports with local software and hardware becomes the key to ensuring self sufficiency.”

Only time will tell if Russia is able to successfully self-source replacements for these key applications and hardware. Seeing that enterprise-grade software is not built overnight, it could take time for this change in software procurement to have any significant impact on the bottom lines of US-based corporations.

:D

I

illumination

Thats right Russia, take it out on the people of the US, instead of who you really have a beef with, as all this will do, is roll down hill to the average citizens in the US, effecting them, not the government.

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
I think it's for good ... if microsoft got all the market share then will release new OS every year and will stop support OLD one, will put huge price tag for it's product and people will be forced to use it.

I

illumination

I wouldnt think anything of it, if their reasoning was to just better themselves and support their own homegrown vendors. To do it thumbing the US, and effecting the US citizens, i can not agree with.

The problem lies with the US government, and the Russia government, not citizens from either side, it should remain that way. One reason i generally do not post in "politic" threads..

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Tit for Tat between Russia and the US. On Friday the US started sanctions against Russian energy companies Rosneft and Novatek, and banks Gazprombank and VEB. Today the Russian steel giant Severstal sold a couple of plants they had in the US to others (puling totally out of the North American market) and now this Russian sanction on Microsoft.

Getting fast and furious.

Reactions: Anupam
I

illumination

Tit for Tat between Russia and the US. On Friday the US started sanctions against Russian energy companies Rosneft and Novatek, and banks Gazprombank and VEB. Today the Russian steel giant Severstal sold a couple of plants they had in the US to others (puling totally out of the North American market) and now this Russian sanction on Microsoft.

Interesting, thank you for sharing, as i am obviously way out of the loop in the news dept.. Time to catch up it seems..

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014

Thanks for the share. US is pretty clever ;). They get what they want by whatever means necessary.

Reactions: marg

marg

Level 12
Verified
May 26, 2014
Thanks for the share. US is pretty clever ;). They get what they want by whatever means necessary.
The Government is kind of like the Bureau of Indian Affairs or BIA which stands for: Bossing Indians Around.:(:mad::eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.